Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is why I want Jalen Smith
This article highlights the exact reason I hope the Bengals take Jalen Smith with the 24th pick tomorrow night:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/bengals-news/2016/4/26/11510630/bengals-believe-cedric-ogbuehi-is-ready-for-big-impact-in-year-two

Yes, he was injured. Yes he is a risk. But for a team like the Bengals that is well stocked, it makes sense to take a player who was rated as one of the top 5 players before his injury, and some say the #1 overall. I would not be upset passing on a WR for Smith simply because we would be filling a need rather than taking BPA, and also because we would be replacing a complimentary player (2nd or 3rd WR) with a first round pick. Getting one of the 5 best players in the draft with the #24 pick would be a coup. There are already videos he is posting showing him running and doing work on the knee after only 3.5 mos. Please Bengals, take a good long look at this before passing on him! Can you imagine Smith, Burfict and Dawson as our LB corp in two years? What was the weakest unit on the D would now be one of the strongest.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 10:22 PM)Beaker Wrote: This article highlights the exact reason I hope the Bengals take Jalen Smith with the 24th pick tomorrow night:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/bengals-news/2016/4/26/11510630/bengals-believe-cedric-ogbuehi-is-ready-for-big-impact-in-year-two

Yes, he was injured. Yes he is a risk. But for a team like the Bengals that is well stocked, it makes sense to take a player who was rated as one of the top 5 players before his injury, and some say the #1 overall. I would not be upset passing on a WR for Smith simply because we would be filling a need rather than taking BPA, and also because we would be replacing a complimentary player (2nd or 3rd WR) with a first round pick. Getting one of the 5 best players in the draft with the #24 pick would be a coup. There are already videos he is posting showing him running and doing work on the knee after only 3.5 mos. Please Bengals, take a good long look at this before passing on him! Can you imagine Smith, Burfict and Dawson as our LB corp in two years? What was the weakest unit on the D would now be one of the strongest.

Smith hasn't recovered from nerve damage and he might never be the same. That's why he's going to fall to round 4-5. If it was just a tore ACL like Ogbuehi then I would be all for it, but he tore his ACL / MCL and has nerve damage. You just don't know what you're going to get when he's (hopefully) able to play in 2017.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ogbuehi was ready to contribute last year. It has already been report Jaylon is expected to miss the entire 2016 season.

Jaylon is the one guy I have heard mentioned to us in the first I will be seriously bummed if we take.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 10:22 PM)Beaker Wrote: This article highlights the exact reason I hope the Bengals take Jalen Smith with the 24th pick tomorrow night:

I am a huge J. Smith fan, but his injury is more severe and he may never be the same player again. I think huge mistake if we take him in round one, but I would consider him in #2 and would take him in round 3 if available for all the reasons you mentioned
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
His knee may very well be strong as you can see in the video.

Unfortunately that's not the issue. The issue will be his foot and his ability to move it. It should recover, but the length of time is unknown. It could take 6 months, it could take 6 years.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 11:49 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Smith hasn't recovered from nerve damage and he might never be the same. That's why he's going to fall to round 4-5. If it was just a tore ACL like Ogbuehi then I would be all for it, but he tore his ACL / MCL and has nerve damage. You just don't know what you're going to get when he's (hopefully) able to play in 2017.

This. If we take Smith at 24 I will be insanely pissed.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I just don't see the Bengals getting a LB in the first two days because the majority of the time, they only have two on the field. Right now, that means (after the BS suspension is over) you are sitting Burfict, Dansby, Maualuga, or PJ Dawson and not trying to develop Dawson, who was drafted #99 a year ago.

It just doesn't make sense. They will be looking at the talent at DE/DT and obviously a WR in Day 2.
Reply/Quote
Do we step up and Take Smith at 55...or even 81?
Reply/Quote