Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This offense might need a TE that can attack the seams
(11-02-2020, 11:09 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Just goes to show that it's no way in hell we should've taken sample in round 2..primary blocking TE could've and should've been had in rounds 3-5 not drafting him passing on dj Metcalf in round 2..

Drew Sample is the third best TE out of his draft class behind TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant. That includes receiving...

I know everyone gives the Bengals grief over the pick but it's looking like if they wanted a TE after the first round he was the best choice.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 11:37 PM)Synric Wrote: Drew Sample is the third best TE out of his draft class behind TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant. That includes receiving...

I know everyone gives the Bengals grief over the pick but it's looking like if they wanted a TE after the first round he was the best choice.

Probably wasn’t a good draft to take a TE then.

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 11:37 PM)Synric Wrote: Drew Sample is the third best TE out of his draft class behind TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant. That includes receiving...

Or they could have take bpa like mecole hardman, dk metcalf, max scharping, etc.

If i want to buy a good steak at Kroger’s, and all they have is stew meat left, I’m not going to Just happily settle.
Reply/Quote
Not to be snarky, but we need a lot of things, and I would currently put pass catching TE near the bottom.

1) OL upgrades (T, G, & C)
2) DL upgrades (everyone except Reader)
3) LB
4) Deep threat WR

After that, I could see TE. Another CB might be a good idea (WJ3 & Alexander are FAs). SS. A big back for short yardage. A slot WR/punt return guy, jitterbug type.

Basically, everything except QB, another big WR, and RB1.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 02:19 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Not to be snarky, but we need a lot of things, and I would currently put pass catching TE near the bottom.

1) OL upgrades (T, G, & C)
2) DL upgrades (everyone except Reader)
3) LB
4) Deep threat WR

After that, I could see TE. Another CB might be a good idea (WJ3 & Alexander are FAs). SS. A big back for short yardage. A slot WR/punt return guy, jitterbug type.

Basically, everything except QB, another big WR, and RB1.

We don’t need a center.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:36 AM)Wire22Wire Wrote: If i want to buy a good steak at Kroger’s, and all they  have is stew meat left, I’m not going to Just happily settle.

And if you could tell the difference between "stew meat" and "good steak" without the benefit of hindsight you would be making big money as an NFL scout instead of sitting at home telling teams what to do.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 07:59 PM)McC Wrote: He'll be a first round pick and we need our first rounder to be used elsewhere, imo.

If it's the Bengals we're used to, they'll use the 1st round for a weapon or CB and then use later picks for the trenches lol
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If it's the Bengals we're used to, they'll use the 1st round for a weapon or CB and then use later picks for the trenches lol

Well, a lot will depend on how the draft falls.  That said, I could get on board with a 1st round CB because I see WJIII moving on.  But we all know how much we need help in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  Hopefully, this need is addressed in FA.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Trading for Njoku wouldn't be so bad. He still has another year on his contract, so we could maybe see where things are going with the team before deciding to re-sign him or not. The question would then become what do the Browns want for him. That'd be the deciding factor for me. I wouldn't mind them sending a 5th or 6th rounder for Njoku, but anything more would be overpaying. Maybe they'd want to do a clean swap for John Ross? OBJ is down and they need a vertical threat.

I've seen crazier things happen.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:19 PM)McC Wrote: Well, a lot will depend on how the draft falls.  That said, I could get on board with a 1st round CB because I see WJIII moving on.  But we all know how much we need help in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  Hopefully, this need is addressed in FA.

CB would be arguably the biggest need if WJ3 isn't re-signed.
We've seen what happens when WJ3 is not in there, and we haven't seen Waynes in this scheme yet.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Rumors swirling that Evan Engram is available. I think he would be a perfect seam stretcher in this offense. I wouldn't sell the farm for him though due to his injury history, so maybe a 4th round pick max.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Rumors swirling that Evan Engram is available. I think he would be a perfect seam stretcher in this offense. I wouldn't sell the farm for him though due to his injury history, so maybe a 4th round pick max.

That I could get behind.

I think hes under contract next year too?
Reply/Quote
As inconsistent as the offensive line has been, the Bengals need a Reggie Kelly-esque tight end who can block -- and we have one. 
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:40 PM)Wire22Wire Wrote: That I could get behind.

I think hes under contract next year too?

Yeah, looks like his contract is through 2021, his 5th year option at $6 mill.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:43 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: As inconsistent as the offensive line has been, the Bengals need a Reggie Kelly-esque tight end who can block -- and we have one. 

We also need a playmaker at TE. Which we don’t have.

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 11:55 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If it's the Bengals we're used to, they'll use the 1st round for a weapon or CB and then use later picks for the trenches lol

OL in first round 3 of the last 6 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: OL in first round 3 of the last 6 years.

I should have been more specific - DL.
The last time the Bengals took a DL in 1st round was Justin Smith.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2020, 12:37 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Rumors swirling that Evan Engram is available. I think he would be a perfect seam stretcher in this offense. I wouldn't sell the farm for him though due to his injury history, so maybe a 4th round pick max.

Engram has his 5th year option next year then is set to hit FA.
His 5th year option will be $6 mill.

Dunno if I'd give up that high of a pick for potentially a 1-year rental pass-catching TE who has struggled to stay healthy.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2020, 07:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Draft Kyle Pitts if you want an elite pass-catching TE.

This times a hundred!  I agree that OL and DL are huge needs but the bottom line is you take the best player available based on a position of need.  If the Bengals end up picking around 7 or 8, Sewell will be gone and there isn't anyone else on the OL or the DL for that matter that excites me to be taken in the top 10.  Enter Kyle Pitts and Burrow will be doing cartwheels.  Pitts is probably one of the most elite catching TEs to enter the draft for quite awhile.  The guy runs in the 4.5 range and is no slouch as a blocker either.  There are plenty of other rounds to address OL and DL not to mention free agency.  A TE like Pitts does not come around very often.  
Reply/Quote
Forget tight end. Burrow has Mixon, Gio, Tate, Boyd, and Higgins.

Just improve the o-line. Let's not get cute and sexy
Reply/Quote