Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This staff wouldn't be employed at a local high school.
(10-17-2016, 07:43 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Fred is comical, he always defends the coaching, always

I am not the one claiming that a successful NFL coaching staff could not get a job with a high school.

I don't mind discussing problems that we have with our coaching staff.  Problem is that I can't find many people where who want to (or can) discuss it like a fellow adult.

Most fans don't want to discuss any real problems.  Instead all they want to do is see who can squeal the loudest or be the biggest drama queen.

They don't care what dec isions Marvin makes.  they hate him more for his attitude in press conferences.

And apparently the worst thing about Paul Alexander is the fact that he plays the piano.  I never realized it was such a horrible thing to play the piano, but that is the one thing all the haters bring up in every post. 

it is like there are nothing but children here.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Coyle was one of the best position coaches we had.  Don't know why it was a bad idea to bring him back as a position coach after he failed as a DC.  Bringing him back as a DC would have been a bad idea, b ut that is not what we did.

I see a lot of regression. 2 of our 6 games are against first year starters at QB. But we are allowing the 3rd highest QB rating so far. 

Iloka has taken a step back, Picman has taken a step back, Dennard can't even get on the field, lot of miscommunication. 

Zimmer's D got Coyle the promotion. He sucked in Miami. Deltha ONeal, JJ, Hall, and Newman were all first rounders. Has he "coached" anybody up that wasn't a first rounder?
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not the one claiming that a successful NFL coaching staff could not get a job with a high school.

I don't mind discussing problems that we have with our coaching staff.  Problem is that I can't find many people where who want to (or can) discuss it like a fellow adult.

Most fans don't want to discuss any real problems.  Instead all they want to do is see who can squeal the loudest or be the biggest drama queen.

They don't care what dec isions Marvin makes.  they hate him more for his attitude in press conferences.

And apparently the worst thing about Paul Alexander is the fact that he plays the piano.  I never realized it was such a horrible thing to play the piano, but that is the one thing all the haters bring up in every post. 

It's interesting that you take any kind of criticism about our coaches personal.

I don't know how you don't see the biggest issue on this team right now is coaching. We have the talent now to be a playoff team. We had the talent to be a Super Bowl team in the past. Now guess why we weren't a Super Bowl team?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am not the one claiming that a successful NFL coaching staff could not get a job with a high school.

Playing the piano is far from the worst thing about him. The fact that he is in charge of this terrible OL is the worst thing about him. Poking fun at the fat soft batch that plays piano eases some pain and goes hand in hand with the way he has this OL playing. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:55 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Zimmer's D got Coyle the promotion. He sucked in Miami. Deltha ONeal, JJ, Hall, and Newman were all first rounders. Has he "coached" anybody up that wasn't a first rounder?

Deltha O'Neal had lost his starting position in Denver and Coyle brought him back to All Pro level.

Terrance Newman was cut by the Cowboys because he was washed up and could not cover anymore.

Reggie Nelson was a bust before he came to the Bengals.

Kevin Kaesviharn was a school teacher before Coyle turned him into a good safety.

Chris Crocker was on the streets before we brought him back to be a key player in one of the best defensive backfields in the league.

Tory James went from journeyman to Pro Bowl under Coyle.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:59 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I don't know how you don't see the biggest issue on this team right now is coaching. We have the talent now to be a playoff team. We had the talent to be a Super Bowl team in the past. Now guess why we weren't a Super Bowl team?

Actually we don't have that much talent.  If you don't believe me there is a thread about how we can't draft, and everyoen knows we don't spend money on free agents.

The fans who vote for the Pro Bowl don't think we have that much talent.

The media who vote for All Pro don't think we have that much talent.

The NFL players who vote for the top 100 players in the league don't think we have that much talent.

Last year was the best team we had, but then Dalton got injured.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 07:59 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: It's interesting that you take any kind of criticism about our coaches personal.

I am not the one who makes it personal.  I'd be glad to just talk about what is happening on the field.  

The ones making it personal are the ones who cry about how Marvin acts in press conferences and Paul Alexander playing the piano.
Reply/Quote
They need to clean house totally. Bring in new HC and let him pick his entire staff
Reply/Quote
Can someone help clear up some confusion for me? I heard Ben Roethlisberger was injured for the Steelers. So they're gonna wait 3 months to see if the injury heals on its own right? I mean why would they have surgery today just so he could play again in 2-3 weeks when they can wait for months and basically pay him to do nothing for most of his contract???

Yeah I'm a bit salty right now...

Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 08:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Deltha O'Neal had lost his starting position in Denver and Coyle brought him back to All Pro level.

Terrance Newman was cut by the Cowboys because he was washed up and could not cover anymore.

Reggie Nelson was a bust before he came to the Bengals.

Kevin Kaesviharn was a school teacher before Coyle turned him into a good safety.

Chris Crocker was on the streets before we brought him back to be a key player in one of the best defensive backfields in the league.

Tory James went from journeyman to Pro Bowl under Coyle.

Josh Shaw? For a more recent example 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 08:33 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Can someone help clear up some confusion for me? I heard Ben Roethlisberger was injured for the Steelers. So they're gonna wait 3 months to see if the injury heals on its own right? I mean why would they have surgery today just so he could play again in 2-3 weeks when they can wait for months and basically pay him to do nothing for most of his contract???

Yeah I'm a bit salty right now...

The Steelers will not make any decision about Ben's treatment.

Just like all other NFL players Ben will make the decision.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 01:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Is there some sort of "Drama Queen of the Year" contest going on that I did not hear about?

You are all running for second.  Pig Ben polishes that tiara and he isn't giving it up any time soon.

What near-death experiences do you think he will have during a routine clean-up of his knee?  104 temp, likely stemming from infection where he could die?  Been done.  The other team being mean and trying to hit him in the pee-pee?  Done.  (And let's be real, piggy, no one has that good of aim...small target) Maybe he can resurrect Thumbgate for a third time?  
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 08:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually we don't have that much talent.  If you don't believe me there is a thread about how we can't draft, and everyoen knows we don't spend money on free agents.

The fans who vote for the Pro Bowl don't think we have that much talent.

The media who vote for All Pro don't think we have that much talent.

The NFL players who vote for the top 100 players in the league don't think we have that much talent.

Last year was the best team we had, but then Dalton got injured.

Other people thinking we don't have talent means nothing. How many times did Whitt make the pro bowl when he should have? How about Burfict? What about Dunlap and Adam Jones? What about Dalton? 

Give me a break Fred. Lets stop looking at other people's opinions as facts. And which side of the fence are you on about drafting?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 09:12 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Give me a break Fred. Lets stop looking at other people's opinions as facts. 

Hard to argue with this type of logic.  

"Other peoples opinions are not facts.  Only my opinion is a fact."

(10-18-2016, 09:12 AM)Brownshoe Wrote:  And which side of the fence are you on about drafting?

Good but not great.  Our talent level is top ten in the league.  Right about where we finish every year.  When dalton was healthy the '15 team was the most talented and experienced we have had since the '88 Super Bowl team.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 08:01 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Playing the piano is far from the worst thing about him. The fact that he is in charge of this terrible OL is the worst thing about him. Poking fun at the fat soft batch that plays piano eases some pain and goes hand in hand with the way he has this OL playing. 

Exactly.  If he could burn it up like Jerry Lee Lewis, AND coach, it would be fantastic.  Some people have ZERO sense of humor.  As it stands now, I hear he's actually pretty good on the keys. Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I'll pick my own facts thank you. I don't trust others to do it.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 09:19 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Hard to argue with this type of logic.  

"Other peoples opinions are not facts.  Only my opinion is a fact."

Good but not great.  Our talent level is top ten in the league.  Right about where we finish every year.  When dalton was healthy the '15 team was the most talented and experienced we have had since the '88 Super Bowl team.

My opinion is backed up by facts though, unless you think those players I listed above shouldn't be considered good-great players. Their on the field play speaks louder than people's opinion. The reason I didn't list Green and Atkins too is because they're highly regarded by everyone.

If we have good but not great talent why haven't we even looked good? Run game, OL, receivers, pass rush, run defense, and secondary all haven't been playing good this season. A lot of it stems from bad coaching.

Marvin would have been fired years ago if it wasn't for Zimmer/Gruden and then Hue/Guenther + Vance Joseph.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 09:30 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Marvin would have been fired years ago if it wasn't for Zimmer/Gruden and then Hue/Guenther + Vance Joseph.

You forget Bratkowski and Bresnehan.  Their first Division title in '05 is what kept Marvin in a job for 6 years. right?
Reply/Quote
I know it's blasphemous to even hint at the fact that certain players on this team make mistakes, but that fade hit Green in the face. It was a catchable ball. I understand coverage was tight and that Green was in a hand battle with the DB, but it hit him in the face. That's not trying to knock Green in any way. Just that the ball could've been caught. The worse decision was running Gio 3 times down there. Put Dalton in the shotgun and let him decide to pass or run. That would be the best chance to score. Instead, we're focused on forcing a run game that absolutely sucks.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 09:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You forget Bratkowski and Bresnehan.  Their first Division title in '05 is what kept Marvin in a job for 6 years. right?

I could have coached the 05 team to the playoffs. The OL was dominant, we had one of the best QBs in the league at the time, we had a good RB and we had Chad and Housh too. The defense still wasn't very good though.

Marvin kept his job for 6 years because he kept the team at .500. Not bad enough to get fired (for the Bengals at the time) and won the division in 05 due to having a super bowl caliber team.
Reply/Quote