Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
This team is so likable
When you're losing people go looking for someone to blame it on. That's the list. They may or may not have had anything to do with losing, but it feels better to think that winning is just a matter of swapping out some parts.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 06:17 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: Daniel Coats, not Ben.

You knew Kevin Kaesviharn was gonna get burned.

Yes you're right. I knew that didn't sound correct. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 03:01 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There wasn't supposed to be much hype.
BJGE was just a solid, middle-of-the-pack RB when he was in NE, and he was more of the same in Cincy.
Fans that hated him didn't want a middle-of-the-pack RB. They wanted a more explosive guy.

He wasn't sexy, but he was a chain mover. For some reason he always balled tf out against SD, but we decided to let him ride the pine in the second half of the playoff game when he avg 5.5 yds a pop in the first. Whatever

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 02:10 PM)Garrus Wrote: I don't think Dre was that bad

I think my heart just fluttered. Mellow 

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 12:48 PM)wcu Wrote: It seems like for years (decades?), we've always had a player or two on the roster that you just knew was going to screw up when you needed him the most.  There was always that one guy who was just unbelievably bad, or was starting for us and couldn't be on the practice squad on most teams.  He was always going to miss the key block, or give up the huge PI, or miss the crucial tackle.

BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Why is The Law Firm on your list?  He moved the ball 1200 yards in 15 games in 2012.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 12:48 PM)wcu Wrote: It seems like for years (decades?), we've always had a player or two on the roster that you just knew was going to screw up when you needed him the most. There was always that one guy who was just unbelievably bad, or was starting for us and couldn't be on the practice squad on most teams. He was always going to miss the key block, or give up the huge PI, or miss the crucial tackle.

Any of the offensive linemen last year
Darius Phillips
Dre Kirkpatrick
William Jackson
Billy Price
Bobby Hart
Russ Bodine
Eric Ghiaciuc
Stacey Andrews
JP Foschi
Dennis Roland
"Nasty" Nate Livings
BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Ben Coates
Ifeyani Ohalete
Some would put Andy Dalton on this list, but I don't fall into that camp.
Any QB not named Jeff Blake between 1992-2002

It has dawned on me that I don't feel that way about a single player on this roster. The one that comes the closest is Eli Apple, but that is mostly hate from other teams and the national media. I actually think Apple has been a great addition and he has played lights out for most of this season. This roster is so likable. I love that they're truly a team and they're seemingly all true competitors. Even our depth is high quality. This is a really solid roster bolstered by an unbelievable culture. Kudos to Taylor and Tobin.

*As a side note, we've had some truly atrocious Center play through the years outside of Richie Braham. Sure, Jeff Faine and Kyle Cook were decent in spurts. Thank goodness for Ted Karras.

- Dre and Law Firm don't belong on here. It has been 3 years since he's been on the team and in retrospect, Dre got WAY too much hate his entire time here, despite being an average-above average CB from day one (with exception to maybe his final year here). Law Firm has already been explained about by others ITT.
- Ben Coates never played for us and was a borderline HoFer at TE.
- Why TF is the Fosch on there? This is the most-bizarre out of them all.

1. He was signed as a last-minute replacement as a blocking TE, for Kelly.
2. He was NEVER a liability in the pass game or in any form of blocking.
3. He was well-liked in the lockerroom.
4. When his time with us was up, he didn't hang on or be a liability anywhere else.

Just don't see where that came from.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2022, 12:46 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: - Dre and Law Firm don't belong on here. It has been 3 years since he's been on the team and in retrospect, Dre got WAY too much hate his entire time here, despite being an average-above average CB from day one (with exception to maybe his final year here). Law Firm has already been explained about by others ITT.
- Ben Coates never played for us and was a borderline HoFer at TE.
- Why TF is the Fosch on there? This is the most-bizarre out of them all.

1. He was signed as a last-minute replacement as a blocking TE, for Kelly.
2. He was NEVER a liability in the pass game or in any form of blocking.
3. He was well-liked in the lockerroom.
4. When his time with us was up, he didn't hang on or be a liability anywhere else.

Just don't see where that came from.

Typo, meant Dan Coates.  

I'll respectfully disagree with you about Kirkpatrick.  He was seriously terrible his first few seasons.  Then he had one good game against Peyton Manning and that bought him some breathing room.  Didn't the guy lead the league in PI penalties for 2 years?  If he wasn't grabbing, he was getting smoked.  And he was a horrible tackler on top of that.

I put BJGE on there not because of his running skills.  He was acceptable, but rather because of his fumbling issues that plagued him magically when he arrived here.  Certainly he wasn't the complete drag on the team like some of these other guys were.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2022, 11:30 AM)wcu Wrote: Typo, meant Dan Coates.  

I'll respectfully disagree with you about Kirkpatrick.  He was seriously terrible his first few seasons.  Then he had one good game against Peyton Manning and that bought him some breathing room.  Didn't the guy lead the league in PI penalties for 2 years?  If he wasn't grabbing, he was getting smoked.  And he was a horrible tackler on top of that.

I put BJGE on there not because of his running skills.  He was acceptable, but rather because of his fumbling issues that plagued him magically when he arrived here.  Certainly he wasn't the complete drag on the team like some of these other guys were.

I mean, the first bold is completely, FACTUALLY false, as he had 3 picks, 1 sack and 1 TFL in '13, playing exactly 1/3 (33%) of the snaps in the games he played in. That's a superb year and this was before the Manning game in '14.

The second bold is just misremembering on your (and many others') part: I don't know if he led the league in PI or not, but he wasn't always grabbing or, "getting smoked."

Guess Jalen Ramsey sucks as well then.

The horrible tackling is a 50/50 proposition: he was a decent tackler, but he is remembered for getting stiff-armed and such, which sullies his reputation. He wasn't the greatest tackler at CB, but he wasn't as bad as remembered.

Lawfirm, had fumbling issues?

5 in 526 touches with us, or 1 in every 100 touches. And only 2 were lost. So that's 1 lost fumble every 250 touches, or roughly once a year.

I wouldn't call that a fumbling problem: fumbles aren't ideal, but if you lose one a year, you can live with it.

As AU said, it appears that you are purposely singling outa handful of scenarios for some players, that occurred over an extended period of time: anyone can cherry pick like that.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I can't even put a number of the times I saw Kirkpatrick hustle his butt from all the way over on the other side of the field to make a tackle. He wasn't the greatest corner on Earth, but he was nowhere near as bad as his haters portray him.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 02:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: That's because they don't understand why playing with a dislocated kneecap might hinder an offensive tackle.  Ninja

Agreed and they'd miss a month of work at their desk job for the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 06:17 PM)Dean_Gilberry95 Wrote: Daniel Coats, not Ben.

You knew Kevin Kaesviharn was gonna get burned.

Hands of stone!!

Good if you are a boxer, not so good as a TE.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2022, 03:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Some big names you left off the list:
Shayne Graham
Mike Nugent (at least in the later years)
Randy Bullock

Fans loved to dislike each of them for different reasons.

Good call on Shayne Graham he had some bad misses for the Bengals.

I would throw in Micheal Jordan but he was a guy that should've never been a starter. 

The real name that stands out to me in this category that others may disagree with is George Iloka. I get that he was supposed to be a thumper but breaking your hand from punching a teammates helmet should've been a major red flag. I don't know how many times there would be an overthrown ball and Iloka would be head down committed to the tackle and just let an easy interception fall incomplete.
Reply/Quote