Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This team just feels....different
(09-14-2018, 10:15 AM)The Real Deal Wrote: Scary? Nah. Nervous moments? Sure. But what nfl game doesn’t have those? If not for a ticky tac PI call that put the ball on the 1 and a 3rd down prayer pass down the middle that Bates more often than not will either knock down or pick, the game isn’t even that close. Not to mention the amazing John Brown TD with Dre blanketing him. Nine times out of ten coverage like those two plays nets an incompletion. Granted, you can’t take those away but I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that all those plays, while very nice plays, were borderline fluke. For all intents and purposes, this was a dominating performance by the bengals.

Enjoy it!
I think the PI call in the End Zone was a "MAKE UP CALL". Earlier there was a QUESTIONABLE PI call that got ignored.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hanging in there. I have an unhealthy obsession with the Bengals, so when they win, it automatically lifts my mood.  Mellow

I added to your reputation as well hahaha.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:53 PM)Millhouse Wrote: The improvements to the o-line are already paying dividends. if it was the same line as last year at this point, probably be 0-2, that's how bad that line was between coaching and talent level.

Agreed.  Moving Hopkins to backup C over Johnson was a good call too.  I recall reading that Hopkins was taking snaps in camp, good move.  Pollack is already changing the narrative, little by little.  Look at Bobby Hart, got his hiccups ironed out in one week.  Trey comes in at C, and the offense doesn't come completely off the rails.  I think the biggest difference in the 2nd half was the absence of Mixon for an extended time.

Let us not forget......for the last 24 years, we weren't able to "coach up players during the regular season".  One week in, adjustments were made.  Nice coaching from the offensive staff.  

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 12:30 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I am still skeptical.  They have looked pretty good but they have also looked to me like a team that could lose a first round playoff game at home.   I don’t think either of the teams they have played will make the playoffs and they have a couple of really tough games coming next.
I do like a lot of these young players and Andy is playing great.  Also Dunlap, AJ and Mixon have been excellent. I don’t hear Jackson’s name much and I think that’s because he’s so good in coverage they don’t throw at him.

However I still do not have any faith in the head coach.

I have yet to see a team this season that hasn't looked like they could lose a playoff. I wouldn't worry about playoffs yet, let's just keep getting better every week.
Reply/Quote
AJ Green also got me 24 points in fantasy football.
Reply/Quote
I was very surprised to see a team come out with intensity. They got after the Ravens big time! Was it a pretty 60 minutes of football? Not by a long shot but they kept at it and got the win. I think the young guys are what this team needed! As others have mentioned, the older players for the Ravens were sucking wind big time by the middle of the 2nd quarter. I like what I am seeing!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:44 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I see both sides. Yeah it was a dominant performance...in the first half. They didn't manage to bury the Ravens though, and closing out teams after getting a big lead has always been an issue for Marvin Lewis teams. To the OP, I was thinking about the "different feeling" last night. It's funny how fans can all get that feeling at the same time. That said, we've felt that way before. 

Namely...

2005 with Palmer/Chad/Housh
2006 when we started 3-0 (beating the Steelers in Pittsburgh) and had national media singing our praises prior to a beat down vs Patriots
2009 with the cardiac cats and sweeping the Steelers (only time in 16 years under Marv)
2013 when we went 8-0 at home
2014 when we started 3-0 and had the national media singing our praises prior to a beat down @ Patriots
2015 when we started 8-0
2016 when we were a trendy SB pick prior to the season.

Not going to lie, I'm enjoying where we're at. Just have to wonder if it will ever lead to success in the biggest games of all.

Agreed, this feels different than starting off 0-3 last year but I had some "gee this IS magical!" vibes for most of the 1st half last night, the other half seemed pretty by the book.  The way I see it, we were supposed to beat the reeling Colts and we were supposed to beat a division rival at home.  So far, so good, but so far...not magic.  This is just competent football, so let's not let our starvation for competent football delude us.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 02:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Agreed, this feels different than starting off 0-3 last year but I had some "gee this IS magical!" vibes for most of the 1st half last night, the other half seemed pretty by the book.  The way I see it, we were supposed to beat the reeling Colts and we were supposed to beat a division rival at home.  So far, so good, but so far...not magic.  This is just competent football, so let's not let our starvation for competent football delude us.

True, but it's still better than the sharp stick in the eye known as incompetent football that we have endured the last two seasons.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This team looked different...with Mixon/Price on the field. We looked exactly the same without them.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:58 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We shall see. 2 scary wins thus far reminds me more of 2009 so far.

Bengals ruined Andrew Luck’s 2nd coming out party & then destroyed media favorite Baltimore. The games were closer than we’d like, but nobody gave us a chance in either game. Get used to it. Bengals are for real this year.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Watch Marv's pressers. He seems different, too. He's even slower to praise players than he's been in the past. Seems concerned with the next game and getting better in areas where they need to, based on the last game. I think he knows what he's got a pretty good supporting cast around Andy and future HOF AJ. "Seize the Day" seems to make sense as a slogan, because the window on those 2 is narrowing. Hard to imagine they're 30 now. I just can't wait for Vontez to come back. He makes us better, and please please please let them all stay healthy.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:49 AM)Tomkat Wrote: I agree that this team feels "different."
When people on here were typing "ballgame" when the Ravens closed to within 5, I didn't feel that way, at all.
This season has the feel of 2015 (before Andy got hurt)  They can be scary good, IF they stay healthy.

The gameday thread is the most miserable, cynical place in existence.
Reply/Quote
It's groundhog day all over again from the 88 season .   Ok, not THAT good , but who knows?  It might be better and we will all be forced to acknowledge that Mikey ain't the same old lousy team owner he was for so many years. 
Imagine if we actually win it all and Marv actually gets us beyond the 1&done status to super bowl champions. Who then would be pissed if they re-signed him to yet another contract? 
All in unison now.  "THROW THE REST OF THE SEASON TO GET MARV FIRED!" 
No? Personally I'd love to see him go out on top with the championship instead of what nearly happened last season .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 03:47 PM)Okay Wrote: The gameday thread is the most miserable, cynical place in existence.

Nah, political threads and boards are typically far more miserable and cynical . Some actually openly hope for death and destruction of entire races and regions of people. Last time I checked nobody was openly hoping every living person in Baltimore or Pittsburgh would die slow miserable deaths..  Nervous

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:25 AM)Big Boss Wrote: The players' demeanor was what caught my eye.  Guys were all fired up in the first two quarters.  First time in a long time, they looked like they were having fun.

Caught my eye last week too, Mixon and Dre were the vocal/visual leaders, but Geno, Dunlap, AD and AJ just oozed confidence and never say die.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 03:06 PM)Shady Wrote: Watch Marv's pressers. He seems different, too. He's even slower to praise players than he's been in the past. Seems concerned with the next game and getting better in areas where they need to, based on the last game. I think he knows what he's got a pretty good supporting cast around Andy and future HOF AJ. "Seize the Day" seems to make sense as a slogan, because the window on those 2 is narrowing. Hard to imagine they're 30 now. I just can't wait for Vontez to come back. He makes us better, and please please please let them all stay healthy.

He actually accused one reporter of being negative.. In years past he might have whole heartedly agreed..  At least he didn't pull a Gruden to basically throw the team under the bus instead of acknowledging he's in over his head.. 

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 09:58 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We shall see.  2 scary wins thus far reminds me more of 2009 so far.

I don't recall us winning close games by 11 points in 2009. I remember lots of last possession games. We have no last possession games at all thanks to our defense closing out the deal thus far.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The young guys playing well seems to be inspiring the veterans to step up their games too.

Guys making plays on both sides of the ball. What's not to love?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Great teams win consistently when 2 of the 3 units do a very good job or all 3 do a good job. The special teams have been very good/good.

Offense has been good, played 4 great quarters and others bad or just OK.

Defense has been good statistically, but very good at making great plays to seal the wins.

I can see this team get better, much better as the year progresses because our youth gets more experienced every snap. Th eoutlook is very bright in my opinion.

BTW..we will not be favored in either Carolina or Atlanta, so we need to pull off an upset win the next 2 games. Losing will not make us a bad team, we are supposed to lose.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 04:57 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I don't recall us winning close games by 11 points in 2009. I remember lots of last possession games. We have no last possession games at all thanks to our defense closing out the deal thus far.

Ok fair enough.  The magic is real until proven otherwise. 
Reply/Quote