Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This team needs entire roster needs upgrades...but how do we do it?
It's pretty simple how you do it. Let's say for arguments sake that we finish at #3 overall for the draft (I've seen the Vegas odds put us in that range)

1. You draft Pene Sewell and put him at LT. He's the best LT prospect to come out in a very long time.
2. You move Jonah to RT. He played RT his freshman year at Bama. However he may be a better fit inside.
3. You draft the top OG in Round 2. This is a very heavy OG draft.

That should fix the O-line. I like what I've seen from Hopkins and Jonah, but Sewell is such a rare talent, that you have to make that switch.

At some point the older guys are going to start showing their age. I'm fearful that this may be the case with Dunlap, Atkins and AJ. AJ has been consistent, but he's missing that burst. I also think that Burrow distributes that ball so well that you may not need the dominant #1 guy.

That being said, you go back into the free agent market on defense and add a pass rusher and DT.

Will all that happen? Probably not, but if we could at least add a couple of young studs on the O-line, we should be halfway there.

Worst case - the team struggles and we are looking for a new coach. The upside is that this job is going to be very attractive with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 10:25 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: It's apparent this team is overrated once again. There may be some hope for the future but I started thinking about the (supposed) current talent on the Bengals. My question is what players do you think would actually make the starting lineup on a Top 10 NFL team right now? Here are my thoughts:

Green – Yes
Atkins – Yes
Hubbard – Yes
Williams – Probably
Reader – Maybe
Jackson – Maybe
Mixon – Maybe
Boyd – Maybe

Burrow gets an exemption because he is a rookie and the top ten teams don't need an upgrade at QB.

Anyone who isn't mentioned above goes into the “No way in Hell” category.

Just my thoughts. Be sure to rip me a new one but, it is clear, this is still bad team looking at another top 5 draft pick in 2021. Burrow is the only wild card I see that could elevate this team but 61 pass attempts per game won't cut it.

LOL.  Most people have them tagged as a top 5 team in the draft.  Over under in vegas at 5.  
Reply/Quote
I agree they need to let go of our aging vets.... the issue of course is

These players are fan favorites
Front office is too loyal

So it won't be done... will need to build through the draft which will ruin Burrows first 4 years
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I see a lot of money tied up in guys not producing for the contract they have or are just not the same they once were.

AJ - not aging well and looks slow and old. Not worth the money invested anymore.
Dunlap- slow, heavy footed and old
Geno- undecided
Hart- He is Hart and not worth his contract
Mixon and Geo- Good players but you dont spend money like that on a RB let alone 2 large contracts for RB's. Get a line and any rb can un through the hole. This is a position to keep in rookie contracts then rinse and repeat.

Just with these guys contracts you can get the better or the same production for half the price and have money to build the trenches better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 11:32 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I see a lot of money tied up in guys not producing for the contract they have or are just not the same they once were.

AJ - not aging well and looks slow and old. Not worth the money invested anymore.
Dunlap- slow, heavy footed and old
Geno- undecided
Hart- He is Hart and not worth his contract
Mixon and Geo- Good players but you dont spend money like that on a RB let alone 2 large contracts for RB's. Get a line and any rb can un through the hole. This is a position to keep in rookie contracts then rinse and repeat.

Just with these guys contracts you can get the better or the same production for half the price and have money to build the trenches better.

Gio doesn't have a large contract.  I don't think you let Mixon walk with his energy and his potential production in this offense.

This is going to be another hard offseason.  There are some guys that look very old after two games, and they've been guys I've loved for the past ten years.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 11:20 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Will all that happen?   Probably not, but if we could at least add a couple of young studs on the O-line, we should be halfway there.

Worst case - the team struggles and we are looking for a new coach.  The upside is that this job is going to be very attractive with Burrow.

Unless Mixon starts to show up I believe the Bengals should cut him loose. $12 million will get you two OL studs with money left over. The Bengals can always use a 2021 draft pick for another sub-4 /yds/carry RB.
Reply/Quote
We start in the trenches - an O-line that can protect Burrow and give Mixon a better chance.

Then make the D-line: I would say model the line after the 2002 Jaguars: two stout DTs to plug up the middle and quick edge rushers. It would close up the middle and force the running game to the edges. The pressure from the front 4 should make pass coverage easier until we can upgrade Secondary and LB personnel where we need it.

For now I think this season may be a wash. But we need to be able to protect Burrow as priority #1 - he is our franchise.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 11:34 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Gio doesn't have a large contract.  I don't think you let Mixon walk with his energy and his potential production in this offense.

This is going to be another hard offseason.  There are some guys that look very old after two games, and they've been guys I've loved for the past ten years.
Gio's contract is not large for a starting back but it is for a backup that plays very little. I agree that it is hard to see these guys age because they have been great Bengals over the years both on and off the field. But business is business.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 11:34 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: Unless Mixon starts to show up I believe the Bengals should cut him loose. $12 million will get you two OL studs with money left over. The Bengals can always use a 2021 draft pick for another sub-4 /yds/carry RB.

There's that pesky little thing he just signed called a contract....
Reply/Quote
Bare minimum, give Anarumo and Turner their walking papers. Two seasons are enough for these two. Thanks for playing.

If I'm upper management, I am telling Zac Taylor point-blank that 2021 is make or break. We're not wasting Burrow's talent and rookie contract on this bullshit.
Frankly, I am not opposed to them dumping him in January. But since that's not likely, I'd make him hire an actual offensive coordinator. The experiment with our "offensive guru" isn't working.

I agree with Wes. It pains me to say it, but you gotta start talking about dumping some beloved vets. Green, Dunlap, Atkins, Bernard. Dunlap's and Atkins' contracts are taking up too much money when compared to the return on investment. It's simply not there. And if Green can't get out of whatever funk he's in, he's playing himself out of a second contract anyway.

Bobby Hart absolutely, positively, 100%, "never been more sure of anything in my entire life" HAS to be gone after this year. I will be beside myself if he's still on this roster in 2021.

Dumping Hart, in addition to cutting some of the guys above, frees up some money to get some actual offensive linemen in here, and to get younger on the defensive line.

I'm fine with going into rebuild, but Jesus Christ at least give your QB a chance to succeed without getting his head knocked off in the process.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 11:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: There's that pesky little thing he just signed called a contract....

Yeah, unfortunately Bengals have to pay through 2023 unless injury or off field issues. Hate these type of contracts for RBs. What a waste.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 11:34 AM)Chezaugie Wrote: Unless Mixon starts to show up I believe the Bengals should cut him loose. $12 million will get you two OL studs with money left over. The Bengals can always use a 2021 draft pick for another sub-4 /yds/carry RB.

Explain to me how he can show up behind this line.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2020, 12:41 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Explain to me how he can show up behind this line.

It's a Catch 22 scenario. Pay millions for a RB behind a poor line or pay millions for an OL with an average RB. I would rather pay for a great OL with an average RB. RBs are a dime a dozen and have such short NFL longevity. Cleveland showed last night what scenario works best.
Reply/Quote