Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This team needs to tank
Seriously...I know it sounds backwards, but if this organization were committed to winning they would begin the tanking process. They don't have a chance at winning the division this year and are most likely going to end the year looking up at the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns.

Why tank? To get the first pick in the draft and reboot the QB position. To accumulate draft picks and swap out old veteran guys that are on the back end of their career for younger, cheaper talent.

If im the Bengals, I commit to rebuilding and tanking over the next couple of seasons. I would draft Klyer Murray this year, evaluate him and see if he can be the QB of the future. If not, continue looking for your guy or hold out for the ultimate prize of Trevor Lawrence. Trade guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap for picks.

The window is closed. Time to reboot and start over.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Gotta give AD & ZT a year together. This roster is not a world beater, but they're a fringe PO team in they can fix the D, stay healthy and be creative on O.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Seriously...I know it sounds backwards, but if this organization were committed to winning they would begin the tanking process. They don't have a chance at winning the division this year and are most likely going to end the year looking up at the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns.

Why tank? To get the first pick in the draft and reboot the QB position. To accumulate draft picks and swap out old veteran guys that are on the back end of their career for younger, cheaper talent.

If im the Bengals, I commit to rebuilding and tanking over the next couple of seasons. I would draft Klyer Murray this year, evaluate him and see if he can be the QB of the future. If not, continue looking for your guy or hold out for the ultimate prize of Trevor Lawrence. Trade guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap for picks.

They did start tanking already. They re-signed Bobby Hart.  Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Oh....the Tank for Trevor 2021 campaign is in full swing.
Reply/Quote
They are obviously banking on health and a change of coaches to win. Management must feel that last years roster was good enough, and adding some draft picks to that will make it better.

Odd that they kept Marvin all of these years if they deem he was one of the major issues.

Or, they're not concerned with competing for a SB.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Seriously...I know it sounds backwards, but if this organization were committed to winning they would begin the tanking process. They don't have a chance at winning the division this year and are most likely going to end the year looking up at the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns.

I’ll agree with one thing, the window has closed. I think that’s the thing that the homer fans don’t understand. We are mad because this management pissed away the prime years of Green, Atkins and Dunlap. Those were 3 extremely good building blocks. The Bengals only try to fill holes through the draft, they have an equal chance there with the other teams. In Free Agency, they let every team take what they want and then sort through the scrap, how is that an equal chance of adding talent? The Bengals have some studs that are aging now and Mike Brown blew it, like he ALWAYS does. Yippie.. Enjoy turd management forever or root for another team. It’s a great option that we have every Fn year.
Reply/Quote
The thing with tanking like the Browns did is they traded their good players for draft picks.

We would then have to hit on draft picks. They finally hired the right GM to capitalize.

We might just draft bad guys and botch tanking.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:58 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’ll agree with one thing, the window has closed. I think that’s the thing that the homer fans don’t understand. We are mad because this management pissed away the prime years of Green, Atkins and Dunlap. Those were 3 extremely good building blocks. The Bengals only try to fill holes through the draft, they have an equal chance there with the other teams. In Free Agency, they let every team take what they want and then sort through the scrap, how is that an equal chance of adding talent? The Bengals have some studs that are aging now and Mike Brown blew it, like he ALWAYS does. Yippie.. Enjoy turd management forever or root for another team. It’s a great option that we have every Fn year.

They are all still here so the window has not closed.

There is absolutely no correlation between winning and signing big money free agents.  Just as many really bad team sign big money free agents as good teams.  In fact I will bet that some of the best teams sign fewer top ranked free agents than bad teams.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:58 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’ll agree with one thing, the window has closed. I think that’s the thing that the homer fans don’t understand. We are mad because this management pissed away the prime years of Green, Atkins and Dunlap. Those were 3 extremely good building blocks. The Bengals only try to fill holes through the draft, they have an equal chance there with the other teams. In Free Agency, they let every team take what they want and then sort through the scrap, how is that an equal chance of adding talent? The Bengals have some studs that are aging now and Mike Brown blew it, like he ALWAYS does. Yippie.. Enjoy turd management forever or root for another team. It’s a great option that we have every Fn year.

Pffftt…homers aren't mad at wasting the Prime of those guys. They see this team as loaded and a new coaching staff away from winning big.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: If im the Bengals, I commit to rebuilding and tanking over the next couple of seasons. I would draft Klyer Murray this year, evaluate him and see if he can be the QB of the future. If not, continue looking for your guy or hold out for the ultimate prize of Trevor Lawrence. Trade guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap for picks. 

QB is not the problem with this team.  If you dedicate all our resources to getting another QB we will get worse instead of better.  And if your QB gets injured at all you have nothing.

Aaron Rodgers has a losing record over the last two seasons while Blake Bortles won 2 playoff games.  People who claim all it takes is a great QB to "elevate the players around him" don't pay much attention to the NFL.  A great QB helps, but QB is not the problem with this team, and even a great QB can't win without talent around him.

And finally drafting a QB in the first round is a crap shoot.  Dalton has outperformed an overwhelming majority (18 of 25) of the QBs taken in the first round since he arrived in 2011.
Reply/Quote
Is it just me or does it seem that many of the people who want us to tank and lose more are the same ones who seem to have established their identity as the strongest complainers about losing?

Hmm

I wonder why that is?
Reply/Quote
Usually, having the #1 overall pick in the draft means you only won two or three games the previous season. Do we really envision a scenario where a Dalton-led team only gets two wins in an entire season? Let's be clear, this team has not been good the last three years, but even then they finished the last three seasons with no less than six wins each. Dalton's hardly the best QB in the league, but he's certainly not "two wins" bad. Especially if his supporting cast of Green, Boyd, Eifert(?), and Mixon stay healthy. Unless they trade Dalton away in the coming weeks and decide to roll with Jeff Driskel as the starter, we aren't tanking.

As for Murray, the only way we draft him is if we trade all the up to the #1 overall pick. That means giving up future draft picks. How does that help us build? If anything you'd need MORE draft picks to do that, since we are as shit don't build in FA.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:37 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Gotta give AD & ZT a year together. This roster is not a world beater, but they're a fringe PO team in they can fix the D, stay healthy and be creative on O.

I disagree with this. They won 6 games last year and were lucky to have that many wins. AD is who he is. Hes a mediocre QB. They arent fixing the defense by bringing back the same guys and their offensive line is still a train wreck. 
Reply/Quote

I’ve been saying this since we parted ways with Marvin but the idea is not well received around here. As for tanking, it goes against every fiber of my being but in the case of the Bengals, I don’t hate the idea.
Reply/Quote

Why wouldn't you just evaluate the guy before you drafted him? If he needs that much evaluation that you have spend a very high pick just to figure out if he can actually play in the NFL, then he's not going to be able to do the job.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:46 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Oh....the Tank for Trevor 2021 campaign is in full swing.

Im all in. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I disagree with this. They won 6 games last year and were lucky to have that many wins. AD is who he is. Hes a mediocre QB. They arent fixing the defense by bringing back the same guys and their offensive line is still a train wreck. 

I'm not saying it's the right or wrong thing to do. I'm saying it's exactly what they're going to do. Anyway, I think it's a moot point because even with a good, young QB that can elevate this team, I don't see them savy enough to jeopardize the future for a run with Trevor at QB (if we tanked and did get him). 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Im all in. 

100%  

Any replacement of that rubber ring wearing hair pimper would be a win in my eyes.  

Would be nice to upgrade the O Line the next couple of years in anticipation of the great ones arrival. 
Reply/Quote

I think you just analyzed Mike Brown's strategic planning of how to build up a team.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: QB is not the problem with this team.  If you dedicate all our resources to getting another QB we will get worse instead of better.  And if your QB gets injured at all you have nothing.

Aaron Rodgers has a losing record over the last two seasons while Blake Bortles won 2 playoff games.  People who claim all it takes is a great QB to "elevate the players around him" don't pay much attention to the NFL.  A great QB helps, but QB is not the problem with this team, and even a great QB can't win without talent around him.

And finally drafting a QB in the first round is a crap shoot.  Dalton has outperformed an overwhelming majority (18 of 25) of the QBs taken in the first round since he arrived in 2011.

Aaron Rodgers has won a Super Bowl and has been an MVP twice. 

You either have an elite QB or you have an elite team around your QB. Im not confident that this organization can put together an elite roster after they just resigned Bobby Hart and Preston Brown. 
Reply/Quote