Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
This team needs to tank
(03-14-2019, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  More because they get good by not blowing cap space on huge free agent contracts that bust.

Some of you still are not getting it, so let me put it this way.  There are lots of teams who sign big name free agents and DON'T GET BETTER.

There is no proof that signing big name free agents will make a team better.  Some get better and some get worse.

Is Player X better than Player Y? It’s that simple. Good teams are good because they have BETTER PLAYERS than other teams. Sound like you believe that it is more of a game of chance and luck.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:16 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Is Player X better than Player Y? It’s that simple. Good teams are good because they have BETTER PLAYERS than other teams. Sound like you believe that it is more of a game of chance and luck.

Did the team with the best players win the SB last year?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:19 PM)McC Wrote: Did the team with the best players win the SB last year?

Evidently
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:23 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Evidently

Think again.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  More because they get good by not blowing cap space on huge free agent contracts that bust.

Some of you still are not getting it, so let me put it this way.  There are lots of teams who sign big name free agents and DON'T GET BETTER.

There is no proof that signing big name free agents will make a team better.  Some get better and some get worse.

CB Gilmore of the Patriots says hello
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:24 PM)McC Wrote: Think again.

They are the World Champions they had more better or equivalent players than the rest of the league. Are you saying the Patriots are the luckiest professional sports team ever. I bet Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen must have sold their souls too.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:30 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: They are the World Champions they had more better or equivalent players than the rest of the league. Are you saying the Patriots are the luckiest professional sports team ever. I bet Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen must have sold their souls too.
Are you really overlooking what is probably the most important element of the Patriots' success?  It is so insanely obvious that I'm not even gonna say it.

Is Rex Burkhead better than Todd Gurley, for instance?  Did the Pats win a SB with Troy Brown their best receiver against the Greatest Show on Turf?

Take your time.  It'll eventually dawn on you.

And really, sarcasm when so obviously wrong is not a good look.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:28 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Seriously...I know it sounds backwards, but if this organization were committed to winning they would begin the tanking process. They don't have a chance at winning the division this year and are most likely going to end the year looking up at the Ravens, Steelers, and Browns.

Why tank? To get the first pick in the draft and reboot the QB position. To accumulate draft picks and swap out old veteran guys that are on the back end of their career for younger, cheaper talent.

If im the Bengals, I commit to rebuilding and tanking over the next couple of seasons. I would draft Klyer Murray this year, evaluate him and see if he can be the QB of the future. If not, continue looking for your guy or hold out for the ultimate prize of Trevor Lawrence. Trade guys like AJ, Geno, and Dunlap for picks.

The window is closed. Time to reboot and start over.

Man that is a tough one Weezy! I wish Football had a WAR stat like baseball. How many wins does AJ mean above another Receiver. AJ is 31 and I don't see this team being able to win a Super Bowl as currently built. Contract is up at years end and will demand a healthy sum. A baseball team would probably part with him. I can see the argument, but not sure if I could pull the trigger. If I was offered a 1st round and 3rd round pick, would be difficult not to take it. As for Geno and Dunlap, I don't think the return would be large enough to make the trade.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:34 PM)McC Wrote: Are you really overlooking what is probably the most important element of the Patriots' success?  It is so insanely obvious that I'm not even gonna say it.

Is Rex Burkhead better than Todd Gurley, for instance?  Did the Pats win a SB with Troy Brown their best receiver against the Greatest Show on Turf?

Take your time.  It'll eventually dawn on you.

So Switch the Bengals roster over to New England last year and They would still be Champions....that’s what your logic is dictating.
Reply/Quote
Why do so many Bengals "fans" want to see the Bengals lose games?

I don't get it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:37 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: So Switch the Bengals roster over to New England last year and They would still be Champions....that’s what your logic is dictating.

Not even close.  It's not a pinata.  It's a simple truth.  It's the basic truth behind most of NE's SB's.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why do so many Bengals "fans" want to see the Bengals lose games?

I don't get it.

Kind of embarrassing, isn't it.....
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: CB Gilmore of the Patriots says hello

So do dozens of big contract free agents that busted and did not help their teams win.

What is your point?  I already admitted that some work and some don't.  There is no evidence that teams that sign more big name free agents win more games.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:40 PM)McC Wrote: Not even close.  It's not a pinata.  It's a simple truth.  It's the basic truth behind most of NE's SB's.

So you agree the Patriots had better players than the Bengals. It sounds like you don’t believe that the talent level of players ultimately dictates wins and loses and it doesn’t matter how GOOD players are but only that you HAVE players.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:38 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why do so many Bengals "fans" want to see the Bengals lose games?

I don't get it.

Maybe you have noticed the same correlation I have

(03-14-2019, 10:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Is it just me or does it seem that many of the people who want us to tank and lose more are the same ones who seem to have established their identity as the strongest complainers about losing?

Hmm

I wonder why that is?

Some people just love to whine more than win.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So do dozens of big contract free agents that busted and did not help their teams win.

What is your point?  I already admitted that some work and some don't.  There is no evidence that teams that sign more big name free agents win more games.

You admitted that it can work, so the problem is that the BENGALS HAVE NEVER TRIED IT! How do we know it will fail? Maybe it works......you don’t know either! What we DO know is that their current philosophy doesn’t work. Would you agree that maybe they should at least give it a go....once?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:16 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Is Player X better than Player Y? It’s that simple. Good teams are good because they have BETTER PLAYERS than other teams. Sound like you believe that it is more of a game of chance and luck.

I did not say anything about chance or luck.  I was just posting facts.  There is no proof that the teams that sign the most big money free agents get better.

That is what so many Bengals fans just refuse to acknowledge.  Instead they act like every team that signs big name free agents become winners.  But that is not true.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not say anything about chance or luck.  I was just posting facts.  There is no proof that the teams that sign the most big money free agents get better.

That is what so many Bengals fans just refuse to acknowledge.  Instead they act like every team that signs big name free agents become winners.  But that is not true.

How does a team get better?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:57 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: How does a team get better?

1.  Better drafting

2.  Better player development.

3.  Smart free agent signings (not BIGGEST free agent signings)

4.  Better coaching.

How do you think teams get better?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:57 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: How does a team get better?

By drafting good solid football players that fit the scheme and coach them up. Having depth is also important along with vets that lead.
Reply/Quote