Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This was a total team loss
(10-15-2018, 02:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Coming in to the year did anyone honestly expect us to sweep the Steelers? I feel like some sort of weird expectations swept everyone up making this loss seem worse than it is. Coming in to the year I figured we'd need to split with them, where that win comes from means little to me. Nothing that happened yesterday changed anything for me about the season. I still think we are a 9 or 10 win team that has serious offensive line issues and trouble getting off the field on 3rd down. People got too wrapped up in the hype, but I am confused a bit why all the sudden after two back to back losing years people thought we were all the sudden contenders. I think we are still a year away and that is fine.

This all day......

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 04:58 PM)Wyche Wrote: This all day......

I agree with the year away and all. But I still say until this team can get over the Steeler hump at home it's not going anywhere in the playoffs. There's just no confidence.

It would have been nice to exorcise that demon this season no matter the outcome for next year. Now the butterflies will be there - Aaaaagain
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 04:42 PM)McC Wrote: He seldom runs it twice in a row, if ever. 

If Mixon only gets 11 carries against KC, we will have no chance.

Yeah we need to get back to a balanced offense. Pound them with the run, then throw it over the top.

(10-15-2018, 04:45 PM)Synric Wrote: I didnt get the empty back sets on second down early in the game. At least have the threat of Mixon in the backfield even if Andy does motion him wide.

Mixon is a weapon and I want him on the field for every down. We wouldn't take AJ Green out for a few plays, so why sit Mixon?

(10-15-2018, 04:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: We started the season running more but I think losing Price (which has crippled us trying to run inside) combined with the incredibly poor defensive play has gotten them playing every game in shootout mode - they (rightly) have zero trust in the defense to hold so they feel like every drive must be a TD and can't risk run plays with small gains. 

Fair point, but...

(10-15-2018, 04:56 PM)McC Wrote: But if you have a bad defense, running becomes even more critical if you want to keep your defense off the field.  A three and out with two incomplete passes is hardly the way to eat clock.  It'd be different if we weren't averaging over 4 yards a carry.

So true. You can't let losing 1 lineman make you afraid of running. Besides, like you said, Mixon (and Gio) have been killing it even with Price out.

(10-15-2018, 04:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: Me either.  I put up a "Pound. The. Damn. Rock." post in the Gameday Thread.  What do we do?  Come out with an empty backfield. Mellow

I'm big on that ground game because even the elite passing teams tend to pound the rock in January.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 06:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah we need to get back to a balanced offense. Pound them with the run, then throw it over the top.

Mixon is a weapon and I want him on the field for every down. We wouldn't take AJ Green out for a few plays, so why sit Mixon?

Fair point, but...

So true. You can't let losing 1 lineman make you afraid of running. Besides, like you said, Mixon (and Gio) have been killing it even with Price out.

I'm big on that ground game because even the elite passing teams tend to pound the rock in January.
Well said Shake!
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 06:59 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Well said Shake!

Thanks! It's exciting to finally see serious rushing success, but it's not going to help if we only run 12 times. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Isn't Merv from Pittsburgh? No coincidence here. He's a big steelers fan and purposely does stuff to lose.
Reply/Quote
As a UK football fan I feel the same way about losing to the Steelers as I felt about UK losing 31 straight years to Florida. We came so close in the past few years of getting that monkey off our backs and this year we finally did it. I fear that we won't get the Steeler monkey off our back until Ben is gone. He just has our number and it makes me sick. I knew Sunday when we took the lead with more than a minute left on the clock that Ben would do it to us again. Makes me want to puke.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Allow me to clarify, I meant holding called on the offensive line (LS doens't count. :tongue:)

Still there was a holding call on James that wasn't special teams so not zero holding calls.  I guess I just get tired of the excuse Steelers get to hold all the time talk.  In fact they are tied in second place in the NFL for offensive holding penalties with 12 over 6 games.  The constant complaining Steelers always get to hold is lame and worn out and not at all why the Bengals lost.

Bengals lost because they once again did not play a complete game, made too many small mistakes, and could not finish a game. It had absolutely nothing to do with holding calls or lack there of. But I suppose the 'zero' holding calls is low hanging fruit for excuses when it comes down to the fact Bengals got out played and out coached.

Personally I'm tired of the ,"But this and that, no holding calls, Steelers always get this and that call," complaining. Even if it was true a good team with a good coach would be able to overcome that.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote