Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This week's Ruler of the Jungle
Ruler of the Jungle this week is old school....Bob Trumpy. Going to the way back machine for this one fellas! I always thought he was a decent announcer when they used to have AFC games on NBC in the 80s.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I became a Bengals' fan just after he retired, but Mom and I listened religiously to his sports talk show on WLW. One night in particular stands out: he had a woman call into the show and she threatened suicide on the air. He kept her talking for what seemed like an eternity before authorities were finally able to get to her. It was a tense night, to be sure.

He's one of the old-timers I'd like to see included in the ring of honor.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 08:17 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I became a Bengals' fan just after he retired, but Mom and I listened religiously to his sports talk show on WLW.  One night in particular stands out: he had a woman call into the show and she threatened suicide on the air.  He kept her talking for what seemed like an eternity before authorities were finally able to get to her.  It was a tense night, to be sure.  

Similar experience.  I listened to Trumpy almost every night on the kitchen radio at my parents' house. The guy is a Cincinnati legend that went on to bigger things.  I really like this pick.
Reply/Quote
Congrats to the Bob. He still lives here locally. I definitely listened to him in my youth.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 09:52 PM)samhain Wrote: Similar experience.  I listened to Trumpy almost every night on the kitchen radio at my parents' house. The guy is a Cincinnati legend that went on to bigger things.  I really like this pick.

Same here, mom would listen to Trumpy on the radio while we did the dishes after supper. Back then there weren’t too many people who had dish washers and the kids actually did chores.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 12:25 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Same here, mom would listen to Trumpy on the radio while we did the dishes after supper.  Back then there weren’t too many people who had dish washers and the kids actually did chores.

The stretch of time in the 80's thru mid 90's when WLW had Trumpy, Collinsworth and Furman was a golden age for that show.  Those guys weren't afraid to stir things up with the local teams.  I'm sure Lance McAllister is a good guy, but his wholesome, non controversial schtick wears pretty thin.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 03:31 PM)samhain Wrote: The stretch of time in the 80's thru mid 90's when WLW had Trumpy, Collinsworth and Furman was a golden age for that show.  Those guys weren't afraid to stir things up with the local teams.  I'm sure Lance McAllister is a good guy, but his wholesome, non controversial schtick wears pretty thin.

I started reading this thread and had this same thought.
Reply/Quote
I never was a Trumpy fan, I was a bigger fan of Dan Ross. Trumpy was a good TE tho and a good pick for Ruler of the Jungle.
Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 08:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I never was a Trumpy fan, I was a bigger fan of Dan Ross. Trumpy was a good TE tho and a good pick for Ruler of the Jungle.

Well, Dan can't make it. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 08:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, Dan can't make it.
You're right about that.
Reply/Quote
(11-10-2023, 08:17 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I became a Bengals' fan just after he retired, but Mom and I listened religiously to his sports talk show on WLW. One night in particular stands out: he had a woman call into the show and she threatened suicide on the air. He kept her talking for what seemed like an eternity before authorities were finally able to get to her. It was a tense night, to be sure.

Agreed, if I was making a decision, he's be next in, along with Dillon for younger guys.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Good for Bobby.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-11-2023, 03:31 PM)samhain Wrote: The stretch of time in the 80's thru mid 90's when WLW had Trumpy, Collinsworth and Furman was a golden age for that show.  Those guys weren't afraid to stir things up with the local teams.  I'm sure Lance McAllister is a good guy, but his wholesome, non controversial schtick wears pretty thin.

I was going to post that during the first Super Bowl run I remember Trumpy stirring it up about the Ben-gals not going to cheer at the game. Paul Brown was too tight to pay for the airfare and lodging.

Reply/Quote
Trumpy is the greatest TE ever to play for the Bengals by far….

Plus, he basically invented sports talk radio as we know it.
Reply/Quote
Been a while since I heard that name. Haven't heard him in years. 
Reply/Quote
Speaking of old school...be nice to see this guy...

[Image: s-l1200.webp]
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 10:06 AM)bengalrick Wrote: Trumpy is the greatest TE ever to play for the Bengals by far….

Plus, he basically invented sports talk radio as we know it.

I'm a fan of Rodney Holman as well for an all time Bengals team and TE.
Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 08:42 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I was going to post that during the first Super Bowl run I remember Trumpy stirring it up about the Ben-gals not going to cheer at the game.  Paul Brown was too tight to pay for the airfare and lodging.

I'm semi-surprised that he got the offer for ROTJ.  Even during the Palmer era, Bob was still very critical of the organization when given the chance to opine.  

Reply/Quote
(11-12-2023, 11:19 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm a fan of Rodney Holman as well for an all time Bengals team and TE.

Holman is one of the most underrated Bengals ever.  I guess it is because TEs did not put up big numbers when he was playing, but for about a 5 year stretch he was arguably the best receiving TE in the league.

But he was never first team All-Pro like Trumpy.  I became a big Bengals fan in the early 70's.  I missed Trumps prime years.
Reply/Quote