Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
This would be awesome - Mic Drop Draft
I took a different approach to this draft as I have been a proponent of trading down. I am not a big fan of selecting RBs in the first round but not many of them are totally complete backs. As I watched the first round unfold I started to ponder what it would take for the Bengals to move up. This was a MockDraftDatabase simulation and while they often allow other teams to offer trades that would never happen they are pretty good about making trades you propose be very even and in line with the trade calculator.

I decided to make a move when the 16th selection rolled around. I offered Washington the 28th selection along with the Bengals second round selection in '24 and they approved the trade.

* Trade recaps for MDD do not show other year picks for some reason.

Reply/Quote
THE DRAFT:

Reply/Quote
RD. 1 - 16th

Bijan Robinson - RB - Texas - 5'11" 215

Notables on the board: J. Porter Jr., B. Jones, N. Smith, J. Addison, D. Wright

The complete RB and the official end of the Joe Mixon era in Cincinnati. There really is nothing that Bijan cannot do and he will complete this offense. Robinson gives the Bengals the running threat they have not had since Joey B arrived. He can run inside or out, has outstanding hands, and is a very solid pass protector. Robinson is a true weapon in the backfield. This selection solidifies Mixon being a June 1 cut.

RD. 2 - 60th

Siaki Ika - DT - Baylor - 6'3" 335

Notables on the board: T. Simpson(BPA), K. White, A. Johnson, S. LaPorta, D. Hall

Ika is an immovable object. DJ Reader is a free agent in '24 and while I am certain most would like to see him return to not plan accordingly would not be very responsible by this franchise. The Bengals need more push in the middle and while Ika does not get sacks on his own the disruption he causes to the pocket lead to sacks by others. Imagine a short yardage defense with Ika and Reader lined up beside each other. Should immediately improve the rotation behind Reader and provide a high quality starter should they not be able to retain him.

RD. 3 - 92nd

Tucker Kraft - TE - S. Dakota St. - 6'5" 254

Notables on the board: C. Phillips III(BPA), D. Achane, D. Henley, T. Stevenson, J. Battle

While he has only played TE full time for 2 seasons Kraft has adapted to the position very rapidly. Kraft is a very focused and driven player and he wants to be the best and he puts in the work to match. Kraft is a solid inline blocker but should be able to improve this portion of his game with some technique adjustments as he carries the natural power for the role. Kraft is always looking for yards after the catch and has displayed the ability to make contested catches and is a load to bring down once he has he ball.

RD. 4 - 131st

Chandler Zavala - G - N.C. State - 6'3" 322

Notables on the board: R. Johnson(BPA), J. Roy, M. Wilson, K. Boutte, B. Young(Bama)

When you watch film on Zavala you instantly see the talent that this young man possesses at the position. He is just naturally powerful and you do not see him getting bullrushed. When he is not engaged in pass protection he is constantly looking for work. Very strong run blocker and really showed his abilities against a very good Clemson defensive line. Immediately the best depth on the roster and frankly I could see him pushing Volson and winning the starting LG position.

RD. 5 - 163rd

Jakorian Bennett - CB - Maryland - 5'11" 188

Notables on the board: X. Hutchinson(BPA), D. Williams, E. Gray, C. Jones, O. Oluwatimi

His teammate Deonte Banks get much well deserved praise but Bennett is a pretty good corner as well. He brings good size and speed to the position and could easily be far better with some technique tweaks that could improve his consistency. Bennett will be a good addition to a really solid corner room for the Bengals and should benefit greatly from working with a DB guy like Lou.

RD. 6 - 206th

Jalen Redmond - DT - Oklahoma - 6'2" 291

Notables on the board: J. Moody(BPA), B. Daniels, A. Iosivas, N. Hampton, D. Hellams

Redmond who is a high motor player that has the abilities to make a living as a high quality 3 technique in the NFL. Redmond disrupts the pocket regularly and is very active against he run. Very good hand usage and natural power. Redmond provides a lot of positive traits for Hobby to work with and should immediately push the other 3 techs on this roster.

RD. 7 - 246th

Carter Warren - OT - Pitt - 6'5.5" 312

Notables on the board: M. Cunningham, R. Hickman, A. Austin, T. Dean III, P. Durham

Warren brings good size, length, and power to the position. It could be argued that he would have went far higher in this draft if he had not suffered a season ending knee injury after the 4th game in '22. He was a team captain at Pitt which is high on the criteria for the Bengals staff. Carter could be a viable candidate to compete for the RT job in '24 and at worst would provide high quality depth at the swing tackle position.
Reply/Quote
Priority Undrafted Free Agents

The following players went undrafted in this simulation and I believe they would be players that should be targeted by the Bengals:

Rejzohn Wright - CB - Oregon State - 6'2" 193

Hunter Luepke - RB - N. Dakota St. - 6'1" 235

Jason Taylor II - S - Oklahoma St. - 6'0" 204

Bryce Baringer - P - Michigan St. - 6'2" 216

Travis Vokolek - TE - Oklahoma - 6'6" 259

Matt Landers - WR - Arkansas - 6'4" 200
Reply/Quote