Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts On Ross and Who Would You Have Taken?
I love all the faith people have in our medical staff saying they throughly checked him out. Are u serious. The same staff that keeps ***** up Eifert and his injuries (waiting too long for surgery). Not to mention Antonio Bryant. Carson palmers elbow not getting tommy John surgery.
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:18 PM)Au165 Wrote: If you believe that a "Mike" is simply the name of where they line up and not the responsibilities of the person in the position then this is pointless. My point is he can't play the responsibilities associated with the "Mike" position. Thinking you know how football works, and actually knowing are very different things.

The title "Mike" is utterly irrelevant to the actual duties.  Any LB that can meet the requirements can be the "Mike" is what I am saying.  I believe Reddick would be able to meet the nickle "Mike" requirements perfectly fine while not having to be a "Mike" in a standard 4-3 line up.  I don't know what you have seen to indicate he can't as he checks all the boxes of what you are looking for. And thinking you know how football works and that no one else does are very different things as well.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 11:18 AM)Codyc99 Wrote: OBJ is less than half an inch shorter than 6ft and 2lbs shy of 200lbs.  dont tell me they are similar in size.  And antonio brown is a much more physical reciever off the line of scrimmage.  Both TY and Cooks i dont think have shown #9 worthy production...maybe late first round production but not at 9.  I like desean tho.  But then u bring in all of ross's injuries coupled with his size it worries me big time and then u start talking about him at 9 and im not happy.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:48 PM)IBurma Wrote: The title "Mike" is utterly irrelevant to the actual duties.  Any LB that can meet the requirements can be the "Mike" is what I am saying.  I believe Reddick would be able to meet the nickle "Mike" requirements perfectly fine while not having to be a "Mike" in a standard 4-3 line up.  I don't know what you have seen to indicate he can't as he checks all the boxes of what you are looking for. And thinking you know how football works and that no one else does are very different things as well.

No any linebacker can't meet the needs, hence why teams draft Middle linebackers early in 4-3 schemes not OLB because they can't do the same things. Reddicks issue is going to be coverages. I'm telling you watch the tape of him in coverage, I don't see someone expected to run with TEs.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:25 PM)BernLock Wrote: I love all the faith people have in our medical staff saying they throughly checked him out. Are u serious. The same staff that keeps ***** up Eifert and his injuries (waiting too long for surgery). Not to mention Antonio Bryant. Carson palmers elbow not getting tommy John surgery.
I was thinking the same but I am trying to stay positive today. If we draft Margus 2.0 tonight from Villinova I am going to be pissed though. Would love Mixon and then someone in the third like Bashem from OU or Walker from FSU at DE.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:04 PM)Au165 Wrote: No any linebacker can't meet the needs, hence why teams draft Middle linebackers early in 4-3 schemes not OLB because they can't do the same things. Reddicks issue is going to be coverages. I'm telling you watch the tape of him in coverage, I don't see someone expected to run with TEs.

Ok. That I can deal with. It appeared to me that you were saying that because he would be drafted as a olb that he couldn't be a Mike in the nickle subpackage.  If your issue is that you don't feel he has the required skillset to meet the requirements, then I was misreading this the whole time and was baffled about the pedantic approach to a title. 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:25 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I can't believe the draft fell the way that it did. Obviously the Ross pick wasn't a surprise since Lapham had selected him and he is usually spot on or really close. I think Ross has a chance to be a difference maker on the field but the injuries scare me a lot. If healthy this guy improves the offense tremendously. With that said I would taken Jonathan Allen or Malik Hooker. I thought both guys were top 5 talents and if we were truly going to stick to "Best Player Available" I don't see how it wasn't one of these guys. Being an Ohio State I wanted Hooker the most but didn't think that was as much of an option as Allen would have been for this team since we have Iloka and Williams on long term contracts. That is my assessment and thoughts on what I would have done. Don't hate the pick of Ross but he better stay healthy after using a top 10 pick on him.

Cannot argue injuries if you wanted Allen who was the bigger injury concern evidently by teams.

While i really like Hooker, Safety wasn't near as big a need as having a gamebreaker opposite Green. Hooker also is a
one year wonder, you never know how he is going to translate to the NFL. The more i look at it i wouldn't of went any
other way even though i really like Howard as well.

John Ross is a great all around receiver and instantly makes us one of the most dangerous WR corps in the NFL.

Love the pick. I want an End or a RB in the 2nd, followed by a Center in the 3rd or 4th.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 02:29 PM)Burma Wrote: Ok. That I can deal with. It appeared to me that you were saying that because he would be drafted as a olb that he couldn't be a Mike in the nickle subpackage.  If your issue is that you don't feel he has the required skillset to meet the requirements, then I was misreading this the whole time and was baffled about the pedantic approach to a title. 

No, I am saying when you watch the guy he occasionally would drop from the line of scrimmage into a hook zone then stand there. He wasn't reading the play has it happened he just stood and waited for a ball to be thrown. Title is associated with responsibilities and required skills. Saying someone is the "Mike" on a play is like saying your job on this play is to read the most inner receiver and follow him threw the hook zone then pass him off, unless he pushes verticals in which case you follow him up the seam.

Each of those titles have certain responsibilities and assignments based on the play and coverage and I don't think Reddick can meet the requirements to do that specific job of "Mike".
Reply/Quote
I like the pick personally. It isn't what I expected, and I don't think it's the best pick we could've made by any means. But draft hype doesn't always live up, all these guys are just projects as of right now so all we can do is look at the Bengals pick and treat it in a vacuum.

I think it's a slight reach, but it provides us with an WR that can play. Green, Boyd, Eifert, LaFell, Ross.... cmon, that has the potential to be an absolutely stacked passing attack. On paper, Green getting doubled, Eifert and Ross should absolutely kill it in the short game.

Drafting a guy with injury concerns is a worry. You can only be great when you actually play, which is a huge problem we have with Eifert. If Ross is another Eifert then I still like the pick as Eifert has been very productive whenever we get him on the field, but it would just mean another player we can't depend on to last the year. We've had a couple seasons recently where we look good on paper, injuries happen and we're fielding a much weakened team come end of season.

Long story short, this has the potential to be an absolute home run pick, but it depends on Ross making a significant impact within our offence and staying healthy. I think as well, those who hate the pick may be placated by today. Obviously depends who we get, but if we end up doing a good job the rest of the draft then I dont think people will hate the Ross pick at all.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 09:59 AM)Goalpost Wrote: The Bengals were head strong on adding his speed.  Allen was a tough pass, but get the feeling Ross was their guy regardless.

I agree.  I think they had him rated high enough that they drafted for need over grade this year.  

Personally I would rather have taken Allen.   You don't run into his quality defensive linemen every day and I almost always go for addressing the trenches first.   The idea of him rotating with Geno keeping both fresh - and together on critical pass rushing downs makes me salivate in an ugly way.

Having said that I understand the pick.  The need was real.   We've been looking for a guy to take the pressure off Green, and his film looks really special.

I'm happy with the pick.  I'm hoping the next two days address a lot of needs with quality difference makers.

Just for the record, I think Green Bay ends up with Mixon and the Jets end up with Cook.   We'll have to settle with Kamara if we plan to take a RB in the 2nd.

Hope I'm wrong.  I want one of the first two guys or a stud LB,S,OL or DL.  But I believe the pick with be Kamara.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 03:33 PM)3wt Wrote: I agree.  I think they had him rated high enough that they drafted for need over grade this year.  

Personally I would rather have taken Allen.   You don't run into his quality defensive linemen every day and I almost always go for addressing the trenches first.   The idea of him rotating with Geno keeping both fresh - and together on critical pass rushing downs makes me salivate in an ugly way.

Having said that I understand the pick.  The need was real.   We've been looking for a guy to take the pressure off Green, and his film looks really special.

I'm happy with the pick.  I'm hoping the next two days address a lot of needs with quality difference makers.

Just for the record, I think Green Bay ends up with Mixon and the Jets end up with Cook.   We'll have to settle with Kamara if we plan to take a RB in the 2nd.

Hope I'm wrong.  I want one of the first two guys or a stud LB,S,OL or DL.  But I believe the pick with be Kamara.

My concern with Allen, Ravens had a need and love Alabama players and passed on Allen. If he was such a great talent and filled a need why pass? I think the injury may have been even too much for Ozzie Newsome and that is saying something.
Reply/Quote
I absolutely loved the pick. Ross isn't just speed. The guy is an accomplished route runner. The only other player that I would've considered would've been Hooker. However, Hobson said that it was between Ross and Howard for the #9 pick.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Hate the pick like the player. I think Ross will be a very good player for us but I thought Allen would be a special player and at a much more important position at the 3 technique. I was talking to my dad today and said we ended up with the DQ five buck lunch which is nice but we could have an elite steak dinner for the same price.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 01:25 PM)BernLock Wrote: I love all the faith people have in our medical staff saying they throughly checked him out. Are u serious. The same staff that keeps ***** up Eifert and his injuries (waiting too long for surgery). Not to mention Antonio Bryant. Carson palmers elbow not getting tommy John surgery.

This is not that same staff dude...

It is with Eifert, but not with AB or Palmer or Braham. I could understand your point if you had one though. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:17 PM)J24 Wrote: Hate the pick like the player. I think Ross will be a very good player for us but I thought Allen would be a special player and at a much more important position at the 3 technique. I was talking to my dad today and said we ended up with the DQ five buck lunch which is nice but we could have an elite steak dinner for the same price.

Allen's medicals must be way worse than John Ross. Or all those teams wouldn't of passed on him.

If we did what you and your dad said we might of ended up with the DQ five, but i think we got the steak dinner. Tongue
Reply/Quote

After the Antonio Bryant thing the Bengals dumped their old medical staff who had been with the team since, I think, it started.

The team doctors and process is completely different now then it was when Bryant was signed.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:14 PM)PDub80 Wrote: After the Antonio Bryant thing the Bengals dumped their old medical staff who had been with the team since, I think, it started.

The team doctors and process is completely different now then it was when Bryant was signed.

Yep.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:17 PM)J24 Wrote: Hate the pick like the player. I think Ross will be a very good player for us but I thought Allen would be a special player and at a much more important position at the 3 technique. I was talking to my dad today and said we ended up with the DQ five buck lunch which is nice but we could have an elite steak dinner for the same price.

Geno is the 3 and will be for the foreseeable future, I think Allen would have played 5 technique and kicked inside to 1 on passing downs.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 04:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Allen's medicals must be way worse than John Ross. Or all those teams wouldn't of passed on him.

If we did what you and your dad said we might of ended up with the DQ five, but i think we got the steak dinner. Tongue

Maybe but Ross had microfractue surgery and is recovering from shoulder surgery as well. Pre draft a lot of teams took him off the board as well( allegedly we will never know). I saw Allen play a lot last season he is the real deal you put him on our dline with Atkins and Dunlap it's scary good and puts us back in championship discussion. Not sure adding Ross does that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2017, 05:30 PM)J24 Wrote: Maybe but Ross had microfractue surgery and is recovering from shoulder surgery as well. Pre draft a lot of teams took him off the board as well( allegedly we will never know). I saw Allen play a lot last season he is the real deal you put him on our dline with Atkins and Dunlap it's scary good and puts us back in championship discussion. Not sure adding Ross does that.

Yeah i call BS on teams taking him off their board. The Bills were going to take him, once we took him they traded down immediately.

I agree on Allen, really wanted him as well, but WR was not near as deep as DE/DT in this draft.

I think taking one of, if not the best WR in the class at 9 was a better move than reaching for a DE/5 tech DT that might not clear medically.

Ross is here to score TD's, the higher scoring team wins.
Reply/Quote