Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts and concerns
(12-19-2023, 11:26 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote:
I really enjoy Goodberrys Bengalsonthebrain breakdowns and as this episode gave me a whole other list of concerns I figured I would post it.
I knew we went back to alot of shotgun snaps in this game and it felt like we didn't do near the scheming for Browning. It does appear we went back to the Burrow offense atleast as far as what we were asking Browning to do as we did in Pittsburgh. The positive is he did improve from that one and we obviously got the win. But he missed a ton including 2 first half hand up I'm so open touchdowns to Chase one the play before the trick play I originally mentioned on the 1st drive. Seems to really struggle reading the safeties as he did before especially with any post snap shift. The optimist in me is they didn't want to lean to heavy on what they had been doing so teams adjust. The pessimistic side of me says we are going back to our offense and are not trying to improve for the future.
Stop torturing yourself. Its a game I wouldn't put to much stock in what this clown says anyway.
Reply/Quote
Two things..thought the same about the Charlie Jones play. Just run to your spot. In this case, somewhere around the 25 yard line. But, he was so worried about not seeing the ball. he slowed down to try to track it, I guess because he was too worried he'd miss it, which he did anyway. It's either there, or it's not.

As far as Browning not reading the safeties, I don't know about that. I'm not in his head. I don't know what he's thinking.

Listening to his interview yesterday (and yes, he's a humble breath of fresh air), he keeps it simple. He reads the defense and makes adjustments based on that. He's seen enough NFL football to know what he is and isn't seeing. I'm betting he's a 1,5000% smarter than the commentator who is criticizing him is.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 06:59 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Not saying that I think Taylor has done a bad job. Just saying I disagree on the Marvin Lewis front. That seems more speculation than anything. Heck Palmer said Lewis was a heck of a coach his gripe was with ownership.

I think that's the difference when you're a golden armed California guy (Palmer) and a guy like Burrow, who had to suffer adversity at Ohio State to find success or Browning who has been cut and floating on PSs for years.

I never could understand Palmer's beefs.  Ownership gave him everything.  Great WRs (hell, they even signed TO for him), OLs, money, etc was all his.  So, why he was mad at ownership is beyond me. This entire city embraced him.  He came across as a DIVA, particularly when he said he was "retiring".  That was the last straw for me.

Marvin?  We should not be surprised with what we got after seeing the kind of players he wanted with the Ravens when he was the DC there.  I liked ML.  But, that eventually came back to bite him in the ass.  He (and we) finally understand that character counts.  To Marvin?  Not so much!  Look at this roster compared to Marvins and that fact becomes obvious.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2023, 11:26 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote:
I really enjoy Goodberrys Bengalsonthebrain breakdowns and as this episode gave me a whole other list of concerns I figured I would post it.
I knew we went back to alot of shotgun snaps in this game and it felt like we didn't do near the scheming for Browning. It does appear we went back to the Burrow offense atleast as far as what we were asking Browning to do as we did in Pittsburgh. The positive is he did improve from that one and we obviously got the win. But he missed a ton including 2 first half hand up I'm so open touchdowns to Chase one the play before the trick play I originally mentioned on the 1st drive. Seems to really struggle reading the safeties as he did before especially with any post snap shift. The optimist in me is they didn't want to lean to heavy on what they had been doing so teams adjust. The pessimistic side of me says we are going back to our offense and are not trying to improve for the future.

I think it's two things. Your optimistic take, and the defense they were playing is stout against the run. They ran 12 personnel more than they do with Joe on Saturday, but less than they had previously with Browning. I think it was Killer Goose that had a breakdown with the percentages on that in another thread.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote