Poll: Gio or Hill?
Giovani Bernard
Jeremy Hill
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Gio or Hill get more touches next season?
It doesn't matter as long as both continue to get touches.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 11:55 PM)motoarch Wrote: We are luck to have this problem.  I think we keep them fresh and keep defenses on there toes by letting both get a relatively even split.

I don't think we have an even split.

Keep Hill in the workhorse role and give him majority of the carries on first and second down; wear defenses down.

Bring in Gio on third downs, passing situations, and as the occasional change of pace.

Make teams load the box to stop Hill and let him punish them for trying, but we need to let him get in a rhythm.  
Reply/Quote
Maybe you're right and its not an even 50-50 split but I do think we under-utilize Gio by only bringing him in on 3rd downs. He proved last year hes tough enough to carry the load if needed and can run between the tackles too. I think some on here forget that Hill is not a bad receiver either. It cant hurt to shake things up and let him out of the back field occasionally.

As long as Hill has worked on holding on to the ball I dont really care how they handle this. Both are winners.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 04:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why do people continue to say things like this? Where is the evidence that Gio can't be a guy that gets 20-25 carries a game? Is it because hes shorter than Hill? Because hes smaller in stature?

I just dont get it. Gio has never really had any injury issues and has shown no signs of slowing down as the game/season wears on. 

Im still for both Hill and Gio splitting carries, but we need to stop looking at Gio like hes someone that cant carry the load if hes called upon.

Because he's not built to be a 30 carry guy. The dude is an amazing player, but he seems to be more effective in space and with splash plays. If you give him 25-30 carries and then rely on him to catch 5 balls a game he's going to wear down. As far as injuries, injuries to Gio in 2014 are what lead to Hill having a break out rookie season
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 05:47 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Gio has only carried it 20+ times twice in his career. I'm not sure this means he can't, but the fact that he's rarely done it is going to lead to some doubts.

2. He has been injured. In fact, Gio got injured during the only part of his career where he was getting the majority of the carries (2014). That's why Hill was able to take over in the first place.

3. Gio has shown signs of wearing down. Just last season, he averaged 5.5 ypc over his first 9 games and 3.3 ypc over his last 7.

Thank you!
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 10:27 AM)Crowe Wrote: Because he's not built to be a 30 carry guy. The dude is an amazing player, but he seems to be more effective in space and with splash plays. If you give him 25-30 carries and then rely on him to catch 5 balls a game he's going to wear down. As far as injuries, injuries to Gio in 2014 are what lead to Hill having a break out rookie season

The most rushing attempts in a season is 416 by Larry Johnson.  30 carries a game would put him at 480.

Anyway... Barry sanders wasn't built to be a 20 carry a game guy ...
But he Ended up being one anyway averaging 2o carries per  game over his career:

I am not comparing him to Gio, but you were just discussing body build to amount of carries.

And as someone previously mentioned most of gios injuries are screen passes where he is left out to dry. I remember 3 off the top of my head
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It doesn't matter who starts. You guys get too caught up in the title of "starter" for the running back position. Jeremy may be listed as the starter, and take the first snap, but may only get 10 carries compared to Gio's 19. It doesn't really matter in the grand scheme, as long as we are feeding the ball to the guy who is running more effectively.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 10:27 AM)Crowe Wrote: Because he's not built to be a 30 carry guy. The dude is an amazing player, but he seems to be more effective in space and with splash plays. If you give him 25-30 carries and then rely on him to catch 5 balls a game he's going to wear down. As far as injuries, injuries to Gio in 2014 are what lead to Hill having a break out rookie season

Anyone who gets 30-35 touches a game is going to wear down. Nobody is suggesting anywhere close to that workload for... anyone? 30 touches a game is 480 touches in a year. 35 would be 560 touches. There are ZERO running backs in the NFL who can handle that load.

DeMarco Murray had 449 in 2014 and it wrecked him and made him useless in 2015.
Adrian Peterson's career high is 388 for his 2k season, then the next year he put the second lowest YPC he's had in a season.
Marshawn Lynch's career high was 338 touches.
Barry Sander's career high was 383 touches.
LaDainlian Tomlinson's was 413.

I don't feel like doing the research to be certain, but as far as I know the closest someone had gotten to your 480 touch lower number was Larry Johnson in 2006 when he had 457 touches. His career continued a bit further, but it effectively ended as a good RB.  He got used up from that year and the year prior.

Point is, nobody can survive the theoretical workload you just posted, which is why I don't think you've ever seen anyone anywhere ever calling for any RB to be a "30 carry guy".. because they don't exist.

I think people who want more touches for Gio are more in the 20 total touches per game category. That'd be 320 touches in a season, compared to the 203 he got last year. Think of it roughly as a 5 carry and 2 catch increase per game or so.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 02:37 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't think we have an even split.

Keep Hill in the workhorse role and give him majority of the carries on first and second down; wear defenses down.

Bring in Gio on third downs, passing situations, and as the occasional change of pace.

Make teams load the box to stop Hill and let him punish them for trying, but we need to let him get in a rhythm.  

You were one of the leaders of the "Hill can't be stopped" movement after the 2014 season as well.  Did you see him play last year?  Based on his performance during a 16 game season, I don't see how anyone can want him to be the "workhorse".  I know... you're going to tell me how Hue wasn't using him correctly, and he needs a fullback to be effective.  If that is the case, then he did not fit the offense that Hue ran most of the time.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2016, 09:15 AM)milksheikh Wrote: Who do you guys think should start next season?

Jeremy Hill or Giovani Bernard? To be honest, I want to see if Hill can come out and be motivated but I'm just not sure.

I honestly think Gio deserves the starting position, putting up another 1000+ yards from scrimmage and averaging 4.7 yards per run.

After what we saw last season i think you have to vote for Gio. He was just better in every way pretty much.

But this could change if Jeremy gets back to what he was late 2014. Bottomline, the more productive player should get more touches.
Reply/Quote