Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Tate and the TE's
I would hope that we soon see the release of BTate (Along with Peko, but I am resigned to the likelihood that he will stay)

Mario Alford has so much more upside and ability, it would be a shame to have Tate taking up a 53 man spot over him.  Alford has better hands, is quicker, can take the top off any defense, and is much more electric in the return game.

Also,  does anyone think the Bengals carry 4 TEs into the opener?

Hewitt, Kroft, Eifert and Uzomah all seem like they are going to make the team.
Reply/Quote
Alford needs to be able to catch a punt before he becomes "electric" in the return game. It sounds like he had trouble doing that today. I am anxious to see him in the passing game this year.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 09:13 PM)JADefense Wrote: Alford needs to be able to catch a punt before he becomes "electric" in the return game.  It sounds like he had trouble doing that today.  I am anxious to see him in the passing game this year.

Alford was 3rd in the big 12 in total kick returns, 1st in tds and 2nd in yards.
Reply/Quote
Hewitt is a hybrid tight end/fb so he makes the team which leaves 3 regular tight ends.

Tate is useless. Anyone can fair catch kickoffs or make it to the 22 yard line. And Pacman & Gio should be the punt returners anyways, and Mario as well if he is actually shows promise in preseason. I just see Tate taking up a valuable roster spot at this time of year when there is no practical need for him anymore.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 09:02 PM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: I would hope that we soon see the release of BTate (Along with Peko, but I am resigned to the likelihood that he will stay)

Mario Alford has so much more upside and ability, it would be a shame to have Tate taking up a 53 man spot over him.  Alford has better hands, is quicker, can take the top off any defense, and is much more electric in the return game.

Alford has displayed great hands this camp, he'll make it regardless of whether Tate does or not simply because the position is one if our weakest.

It comes down to how will they divide the pass catchers:

2 QB
4 RB
9 OL 

10 spots of you want 25 leaving 25 on D, so with 6 WR, 4 TE is likely.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 09:02 PM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: I would hope that we soon see the release of BTate (Along with Peko, but I am resigned to the likelihood that he will stay)

Hewitt will not be listed as a TE, rather a FB.  Peerman is the odd man out this year (and I like Peerman btw, just too much upside with the other RB's).
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 09:23 PM)Blake2Pickens Wrote: Alford was 3rd in the big 12 in total kick returns, 1st in tds and 2nd in yards.

But not punt returns.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 10:19 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: Hewitt will not be listed as a TE, rather a FB.  Peerman is the odd man out this year (and I like Peerman btw, just too much upside with the other RB's).

They will keep Peerman as a core special teams piece. I'm thinking one of the D-lineman gets the boot.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2015, 09:26 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Hewitt is a hybrid tight end/fb so he makes the team which leaves 3 regular tight ends.

Tate is useless. Anyone can fair catch kickoffs or make it to the 22 yard line. And Pacman & Gio should be the punt returners anyways, and Mario as well if he is actually shows promise in preseason. I just see Tate taking up a valuable roster spot at this time of year when there is no practical need for him anymore.

22 yard line isn't how far he made it. He'd come out from 8 yards deep in the end zone and make it to the 16. A -4 net from just taking a knee.

And, with Jones, Green and Eifert out, he made little difference in the passing game.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 02:31 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They will keep Peerman as a core special teams piece. I'm thinking one of the D-lineman gets the boot.

That is very possible.  It will be a tough call because the D-Lines rotation is so important to the success of the defense.  You need numbers to rotate.

Either way it will be a difficult decision.  People make careers out of special teams play, and Peerman has been one of these people.  If Rex can fill his teams role I think he's gone unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 02:31 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: They will keep Peerman as a core special teams piece. I'm thinking one of the D-lineman gets the boot.

When you say "one of the D-linemen gets the boot" how many do you think we will carry?

I think Peerman is finished.  With Burfict questionable we will carry an extra LB who can also play ST.
Reply/Quote
I'd bet it's a near certainty that Tate and Peerman won't both make the 53. I'd say it's a little more likely Peerman is cut. It wouldn't surprise me if neither make the 53.

Special teams is a very important part of the game, however I think the "special teams captain" role is a bit overvalued on here. They're not going to sacrifice a mid level contributor to the O or D kinda guy for a guy who's only real role is a few snaps a game as the STC or KR.
Reply/Quote

but apparently Alford is having problems fielding punts.. He cant be the punt guy if he cant catch them, but there is something to be said for his speed on the field. it would be a hard cut for sure.

Hewitt could be listed as the 5th RB instead of a TE i dont see any of those 4 TEs getting cut
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 12:47 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'd bet it's a near certainty that Tate and Peerman won't both make the 53. I'd say it's a little more likely Peerman is cut. It wouldn't surprise me if neither make the 53.

Special teams is a very important part of the game, however I think the "special teams captain" role is a bit overvalued on here. They're not going to sacrifice a mid level contributor to the O or D kinda guy for a guy who's only real role is a few snaps a game as the STC or KR.

You're right about special teams captains.  We've let several go.  But special teams are important.  I don't think Tate goes because he's a relatively reliable returner - despite occasional brain farts.   And none of the other running backs (Watson, Wilder, etc.) are good enough to displace Peerman's value at ST.  And Peerman has a 5+ yards per carry when running in the regular season.

I think both Tate and Peerman make the team.  The only way that does not happen is if Kumerow, Little or Reese is consistently great in the pre-season - and with the ones at some point, and if Alford demonstrates that he can consistently field the ball and make good decisions.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, Alford should take Tate's spot. With Super Mario, Moore and Kumerow i think this should happen.

Also, yeah, we will keep those 4 guys, Hewitt as the H-back.
Reply/Quote