Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on this mock?
(01-30-2019, 04:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm out on Grier, while his velocity was up at the Senior Bowl his accuracy and decision making were bad. In game there were a couple throws where he basically chucked it down field while falling away avoiding getting hit, one went out of bounds luckily and the other Renfrow ran between three defenders waiting for the ball and stole it, essentially bailing him out. I just don't see an NFL QB in him so to me I'd rather take Tyree Jackson knowing he is a project with a potentially higher ceiling or even a guy like Ryan Finley who I think can be a 10 year solid back up in the NFL.

But if he can be coached up?  Thoughts on the 'stache'?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 04:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: I'm out on Grier, while his velocity was up at the Senior Bowl his accuracy and decision making were bad. In game there were a couple throws where he basically chucked it down field while falling away avoiding getting hit, one went out of bounds luckily and the other Renfrow ran between three defenders waiting for the ball and stole it, essentially bailing him out. I just don't see an NFL QB in him so to me I'd rather take Tyree Jackson knowing he is a project with a potentially higher ceiling or even a guy like Ryan Finley who I think can be a 10 year solid back up in the NFL.

I came away less than impressed with most the the Senior Bowl QBs. Drew Lock has no touch and spotty ball placement. Daniel Jones does not have an NFL arm. Will Grier as always tries to fo to much.

Jarrett Stidham was the hands down best QB at the senior bowl.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 05:23 PM)Synric Wrote: I came away less than impressed with most the the Senior Bowl QBs. Drew Lock has no touch and spotty ball placement. Daniel Jones does not have an NFL arm. Will Grier as always tries to fo to much.

Jarrett Stidham was the hands down best QB at the senior bowl.

See I disagree I thought Stidham solidified that he wasn't an NFL QB. Jones will be fine in the right system,I think he is more going to win with knowledge over physical skill, and I thought Lock had his moment (Deep post to McLaurin against cover 2 in the end zone). 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 05:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: But if he can be coached up?  Thoughts on the 'stache'?

You can make the coached up thing about all prospects, it's why they are in consideration it just comes down to what their ceiling is and where their floor is. In relation to Grier I just don't see the upside, but I have been wrong before. 

He is in that slog of guys who their ceiling is probably journeyman back up/CFL starter. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 05:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: See I disagree I thought Stidham solidified that he wasn't an NFL QB. Jones will be fine in the right system,I think he is more going to win with knowledge over physical skill, and I thought Lock had his moment (Deep post to McLaurin against cover 2 in the end zone). 

On a perfect warm sunny day with no wind or in a dome Jones would be fine the minute he has to throw through wind or wet weather no thanks. Lock was spotty all week he will make one great throw then miss the next two.

Stidham is a guy with all the physical tools but that's system they ran at Auburn gimped his mental development. He would need a year to learn and maybe never pick it up but worth the gamble in the late 3rd or 4th.

Like ya said QBs are hard to judge hell NFL teams get it wrong alot of the time.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 05:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: You can make the coached up thing about all prospects, it's why they are in consideration it just comes down to what their ceiling is and where their floor is. In relation to Grier I just don't see the upside, but I have been wrong before. 

He is in that slog of guys who their ceiling is probably journeyman back up/CFL starter. 

Gotcha.  As I mentioned earlier, I only watched a few WVU games.  You guys watch a ton more than I have time for, so I always enjoy reading your thoughts come draft time.  All I saw were highlights and a helluva entertaining WVU/Texas tilt, and parts of a few more.  The way my Noles played this season, I probably should have watched more WVU games when they were on too. LOL 

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 05:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gotcha.  As I mentioned earlier, I only watched a few WVU games.  You guys watch a ton more than I have time for, so I always enjoy reading your thoughts come draft time.  All I saw were highlights and a helluva entertaining WVU/Texas tilt, and parts of a few more.  The way my Noles played this season, I probably should have watched more WVU games when they were on too. LOL 

Gotta love DVR lol.

Reply/Quote
I watched a bunch of tape on Cody today and he may be my favorite tackle in this draft. That's right I said tackle. I have no clue why they're trying to put this guy at guard when he has the size and length. In Two years this guy could be a legit pro bowl right tackle in the NFL. Strong comparison to Tyron Smith

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Like Grier but do not want to use a pick that high on one this year.

Think we still have bigger holes to fill.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 10:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Like Grier but do not want to use a pick that high on one this year.

Think we still have bigger holes to fill.

I agree

The only way I see us using a top 3 pick on a QB is if they hit a grand slam in free agency. Or they're gonna deal Dalton and go for a franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 12:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Cody Ford at 11, Mack Wilson at 42, and an interesting gamble at 72.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/30/2019-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-7-round-mock-will-grier/

hate Ford and Grier picks, I like Wilson pick so 33% I like it and I would say less than 5 percent chance we have any of those players
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 06:28 PM)Synric Wrote: Gotta love DVR lol.

LMAO, yeah.....but then the wife and kids DVR their crap, and my crap gets erased before I can watch it! LMAO

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2019, 02:58 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: hate Ford and Grier picks, I like Wilson pick so 33% I like it and I would say less than 5 percent chance we have any of those players

I get the dislike of the Grier pick, and I'm definitely not sold on it, but what makes you hate the Ford pick?  Is it just not taking White at 11, or something else you see?

Reply/Quote
That seems like a pretty good mock actually, at least the first three rounds.
I admittedly haven't looked into any of the picks after Grier in this list though.
I think Ford is a safe pick because he could become a stud on the outside but at worse should be a dominant force at RG.
I've liked Mack Wilson for awhile. I think he could become a stud in the NFL with his coverage ability. I'm interested to see his speed and change-of-direction at the Combine.
Grier is one of the QBs I actually like probably more than most in this draft class. He reminds me a lot of Andy Dalton but with a better deep ball. He doesn't have a rocket arm but he's shown accuracy downfield (at least from what I've seen). I'd welcome Grier as a QB to groom behind Dalton for 1-2 years and then potentially take over after Dalton's contract is up.

Ultimately, this mock fills two immediate needs in the first two rounds with what I think are very good players. Grier has potential as a future franchise QB and would be a good environment with three former QB coaches around him. If a draft can come away with two immediate starters who should be (very) good players, it would already be considered a good draft, and I think you get that with this mock.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2019, 08:53 PM)Okeana Wrote: I watched a bunch of tape on Cody today and he may be my favorite tackle in this draft.  That's right I said tackle.  I have no clue why they're trying to put this guy at guard when he has the size and length.  In Two years this guy could be a legit pro bowl right tackle in the NFL.  Strong comparison to Tyron Smith

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Ford myself. 
Reply/Quote