Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin McNamara - (Punter) Texas Tech
I wouldn't count Robbins out. FG operations were far superior under him then they were under Chrisman and that can't be ignored. Money struggled when the FG operations were suspect under Chrisman in 2022, and bounced back last year with Robbins crisp operations.

That is what will decide the job more than anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 10:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: No problem.

And to help put McNamara's YPP into perspective...

Drue Chrisman had a big leg. He averaged 47.8 YPP his 1 year with the Bengals.
In college, his average at Ohio St was 44.6.
McNamara's was over 1 yard higher in his career average, and he exceeded 48 one year while focusing on distance.
McNamara also had a higher college career average than Huber (45.9 vs 45.5).

My expectations - McNamara will have the distance of Drue Chrisman but the placement more similar to Huber.

Heard him interviewed by Dan Hoard.   For such a big guy he has a little voice, and sounded almost manic with pressure speech.

But I LOVED what he said.   He's got the leg, but perceives his hangtime and directional punting as his strengths.  His big focus is on increasing his consistency.

Can't wait to watch him.  He sounds like a gem!
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 11:37 AM)jj22 Wrote: I wouldn't count Robbins out. FG operations were far superior under him then they were under Chrisman and that can't be ignored. Money struggled when the FG operations were suspect under Chrisman in 2022, and bounced back last year with Robbins crisp operations.

Macnamara said he has been holding for 4 years.  So he's pretty experienced.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 11:37 AM)jj22 Wrote: I wouldn't count Robbins out. FG operations were far superior under him then they were under Chrisman and that can't be ignored. Money struggled when the FG operations were suspect under Chrisman in 2022, and bounced back last year with Robbins crisp operations.

I'm 99.9% sure this is a fabrication of your own, as there is nothing that I could find anywhere, stating the same.

Chrisman was more than fine.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 01:57 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm 99.9% sure this is a fabrication of your own, as there is nothing that I could find anywhere, stating the same.

Chrisman was more than fine.

I feel like Money struggled (for him) in 2022 but bounced back last year. Operations looked far better / crisp under Robbins... In 2022 Money almost lost his moniker. It was mentioned throughout the season last season how much better it looked under Robbins. No fabrication. Maybe you just can't remember how shaky Money was in 2022. I say things some don't like to hear, but I have no reason to lie about what I see and what has been mentioned before by others.

2022 was Money's worse year thusfar. I assumed it was safe to say.

I also believe he didn't lose his ability, and recognize the importance of the FG operations and trust of the operations for a Kicker.

It shouldn't be understated.

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 02:17 PM)jj22 Wrote: I feel like Money struggled (for him) in 2022 but bounced back last year. Operations looked far better / crisp under Robbins... In 2022 Money almost lost his moniker. It was mentioned throughout the season last season how much better it looked under Robbins. No fabrication. Maybe you just can't remember how shaky Money was in 2022. I say things some don't like to hear, but I have no reason to lie about what I see and what has been mentioned before by others.

2022 was Money's worse year thusfar. I assumed it was safe to say.

I also believe he didn't lose his ability, and recognize the importance of the FG operations and trust of the operations for a Kicker.

It shouldn't be understated.

He was shaky and had his missed FGs under Huber, not Chrisman.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McPhEv00/gamelog/2022/ Evan's Games
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChriDr00/gamelog/2022/ Chrisman's Games

17/19 in XPs for RS, 6/7 for Playoffs (one of the RS misses was in that awful wind where Nick Folk also missed 3 kicks in NE) and 13/14 in FGs for RS, *5/5* in playoffs, with the one missed FG being in that same horrible wind.

This was all done in 7 RS games, 5 playoff games.

Evan's numbers with Huber?

23/25 in XPs and ***11/14 in FGs***

So, would you say it was a fabrication?
Reply/Quote
I would say considering his rookie season shaky is a fabrication yes (could you imagine if I made the argument he was shaky his rooky season, the meltdown it would cause)... But you are entitled to your opinion.

I maintain his 2022 was his worse season thus far. You disagree, and that is ok.

FYI, I consider the GB game his rookie year where he missed all those kicks you mention an anomaly. Got to love cherry picking stats. Why mention the NE game to excuse his misses and not the GB game where both kickers missed multiple kicks?

Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 03:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: I would say considering his rookie season shaky is a fabrication yes (could you imagine if I made the argument he was shaky his rooky season, the meltdown it would cause)... But you are entitled to your opinion.

I maintain his 2022 was his worse season thus far. You disagree, and that is ok.

FYI, I consider the GB game his rookie year where he missed all those kicks you mention an anomaly. Got to love cherry picking stats. Why mention the NE game to excuse his misses and not the GB game where both kickers missed multiple kicks?

Huh? Where did I mention which season was better or worse? What does his rookie year have to do with your statement that, "Chrisman was a bad holder and Robbins was better. Just look at how bad Evan was in '22?"

I'm not cherry picking anything: the NE game was an issue as the opposing kicker missed 3 kicks himself. The rest of '22, there were no such games where the weather played a factor in the kicking.

Your goal-post moving and victim-esque posting has me feeling well and comfortable that the statement that Chrisman was a bad holder, was indeed a fabrication.

And FTR, I have always maintained that '22 was Evan's worst season, I think that is pretty ironclad and I never said it wasn't: there's no need to put words in my mouth.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 01:44 PM)3wt Wrote: Macnamara said he has been holding for 4 years.  So he's pretty experienced.

Yes, he needs to be a good holder to make it over Robbins. You have to be able to both Punt well and be a good holder.

I think he is already a better Punter than Robbins, we will see who wins out. My bet is on McNamara.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2024, 04:40 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Huh? Where did I mention which season was better or worse? What does his rookie year have to do with your statement that, "Chrisman was a bad holder and Robbins was better. Just look at how bad Evan was in '22?"

I'm not cherry picking anything: the NE game was an issue as the opposing kicker missed 3 kicks himself. The rest of '22, there were no such games where the weather played a factor in the kicking.

Your goal-post moving and victim-esque posting has me feeling well and comfortable that the statement that Chrisman was a bad holder, was indeed a fabrication.

And FTR, I have always maintained that '22 was Evan's worst season, I think that is pretty ironclad and I never said it wasn't: there's no need to put words in my mouth.

Where did I say Chrisman was a bad holder? Sounds like you arguing with yourself if you agreed with me this whole time that Money's 2022 was his worse season. You just don't remember how crisp the FG operations were last year because.... well.... they were that good and Money rep rebounded as his accuracy stabilized. And you take for granted the importance of having a strong and trusted FG operation for a Kicker.

Now you tried to bring Huber in this which Huber held during Money's breakout rookie year so not sure why anyone is questioning the FG operations under Huber (and Harris) which we all know was strong.

No one has moved any goal post or brought up being a victim. That's just lame to try to throw that out (fabricate) as a reason you somehow think I lied about 2022 being Money's worse year and highlighted that I don't believe it was due to some loss of ability but pointed to the operations as a whole. The least you could have done to bring something other than a personal attack to this conversation, is brought up the change in long snapper that took place as well in 2022 which could have led to the operations being shaky. But nah. You chose to try to personally attack me just to agree in the end about kicking in 2022.

The point. FG operations from snap to hold to kicks were crisp in 2023, better and more stable then in 2022 regardless if you remember or not, and that shouldn't be ignored in a punting battle that may change up a key player in that process.

Reply/Quote