Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Biggest Draft Needs
In my opinion the three biggest needs on this team are at WR, LB and at the NT position.  WR because all of our starters could potentially be entering FA after the 2015 season.  LB because we need to find a permanent replacement for Maualuga in the middle, as well as quality depth.  NT because Peko's production drastically declined in 2014.  As shown in my previous mock draft (http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-A-Way-Too-Early-2016-Mock-Draft-3-rds) there are a number of players available that can fill of the above needs.  I really do feel like this is the direction the front office will go in 2016 (as long as there is a player on the board that is close BPA and fits a position of need).

I would go
1st- WR if Treadwell is still on the board
2nd- LB. I love players like Scooby Wright and Jaylon Smith
3rd- NT.  As I mentioned Peko is in decline and we can get a solid NT prospect in the 3rd.

What would you like to see?
Reply/Quote
After taking two early OT's last year, i hope they go defense. I could see the wr argument though. And Andy is on a prove it deal, so qb could still be on the radar.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
WR, Pass Rusher, NT

All areas we skimped out on this year and will lose people to FA at.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 12:30 PM)Goalpost Wrote: After taking two early OT's last year, i hope they go defense.  I could see the wr argument though.  And Andy is on a prove it deal, so qb could still be on the radar.

This draft is not deep at QB at all... I feel like the only QB worth taking that won't go in the top 10 would be Cody Kessler. But he reminds me of Dalton 2.0
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 03:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: WR, Pass Rusher, NT

All areas we skimped out on this year and will lose people to FA at.

The only reason I left Pass Rusher out is because I want to see what Will Clark and potentially Hunt can do in a full healthy season.  I know a lot have people have given up on Hunt but I haven't quite yet.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 09:17 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: The only reason I left Pass Rusher out is because I want to see what Will Clark and potentially Hunt can do in a full healthy season.  I know a lot have people have given up on Hunt but I haven't quite yet.

Hunt is crap. He isn't good. It's time to give up. 
He's 28 years old and still doesn't know how to play football. If anything happens with him in the NFL, it probably won't be here.

Clark is at best looking like an MJ clone. 5ish sacks with solid run D. 
We still lack anyone other than Dunlap who can bring consistent heat from the edge without the aid of scheme and extra rushers. 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 12:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Hunt is crap. He isn't good. It's time to give up. 
He's 28 years old and still doesn't know how to play football. If anything happens with him in the NFL, it probably won't be here.

Clark is at best looking like an MJ clone. 5ish sacks with solid run D. 
We still lack anyone other than Dunlap who can bring consistent heat from the edge without the aid of scheme and extra rushers. 

I guess I am still overly optimistic with Hunt (to a fault)

I would be happy if Clark was an MJ clone. 

Maybe Hardison can fill the pass rush need on 3rd down?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 01:57 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: I guess I am still overly optimistic with Hunt (to a fault)

I would be happy if Clark was an MJ clone. 

Maybe Hardison can fill the pass rush need on 3rd down?

From the inside, sure. 
But we still don't have an edge rusher opposite Dunlap. 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 02:00 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: From the inside, sure. 
But we still don't have an edge rusher opposite Dunlap.
Hardison was being touted as a prospect that could play DE and DT.  Granted I know he fits a 3-4 DE more so than a 4-3, but he might be able to get the job done.
I like having one dominant DE as a pass rusher and one dominant run stuffer. 
Maybe we can get ourselves a shifty, pass rushing linebacker late in next years draft or in FA
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 02:03 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: Hardison was being touted as a prospect that could play DE and DT.  Granted I know he fits a 3-4 DE more so than a 4-3, but he might be able to get the job done.
I like having one dominant DE as a pass rusher and one dominant run stuffer. 
Maybe we can get ourselves a shifty, pass rushing linebacker late in next years draft or in FA

Hardison won't play much DE unless there's an injury.

You have that and you get what we had last year. A one man show and the worst pass rush in the NFL. 

Even when Geno was healthy and doing his thing with Dunlap, the other side of the DL was non-existent in getting to the QB outside of MJs one outlying  year with 11 sacks. 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 02:08 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Hardison won't play much DE unless there's an injury.

You have that and you get what we had last year. A one man show and the worst pass rush in the NFL. 

Even when Geno was healthy and doing his thing with Dunlap, the other side of the DL was non-existent in getting to the QB outside of MJs one outlying  year with 11 sacks. 

Our pass rush was very solid when we had MJ and a healthy Atkins
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 02:20 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: Our pass rush was very solid when we had MJ and a healthy Atkins

Right, but that's a big ???
Will Geno ever be what he once was?
Will MJ ever be close to the double digit sack guy again? 

You need to be an on point pass rushing team in the playoffs. Teams know if they can neutralize Geno and Carlos, they have nothing to fear. 
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 02:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Right, but that's a big ???

You need to be an on point pass rushing team in the playoffs. Teams know if they can neutralize Geno and Carlos, they have nothing to fear. 

What would you have changed about this last draft? Who would you take to fix it in the future?
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 02:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Right, but that's a big ???

I wouldn't mind grabbing a guy like Da'Quan Bowers in FA
Reply/Quote
Wide receiver is going to be interesting since Jones, Sanu, and Green could all be free agents. I'd like them all to stay signed but that's just me.

Linebacker is iffy. Depends on Burfict's status. But if healthy I don't think they take one.

We need a pass rusher and NT. I just don't see MJ fixing all the issues.
Reply/Quote
It's really going to be determined by who gets extended this year, but I'll go with:

WR
S
NT

I think Dawson might be our MLB of the future. I'd still like to see a SLB with some pass rushing skills, so the pressure doesn't always have to come from the Dline, makes it a little too easy for opposing offenses.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 07:53 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It's really going to be determined by who gets extended this year, but I'll go with:

WR
S
NT

I think Dawson might be our MLB of the future. I'd still like to see a SLB with some pass rushing skills, so the pressure doesn't always have to come from the Dline, makes it a little too easy for opposing offenses.

I think we resign two of the three WRs (probably Green and Sanu), one of the S (Iloka), and we will likely lose Peko and Sims (from either being cut or expiring contract).
Reply/Quote
Edge Rusher- We really don't have anyone that can beat anybody with speed on the edge. Doesn't necessarily have to be  DE every down either could be a sam LB on run downs or just come in on passing downs.
Corner- Leon will be 31 and Pacman will be 32 and both are on the final year of there deals. Plus Kirkpatrick has to prove he is a long term answer as well. Outside of pass rushers Corner has to be the second most valuable position on defense.
Flanker WR- I think we keep Sanu over Jones  so we better  draft another speed guy who line opposite of AJ.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 03:52 AM)J24 Wrote: Edge Rusher- We really don't have anyone that can beat anybody with speed on the edge. Doesn't necessarily have to be  DE every down either could be a sam LB on run downs or just come in on passing downs.
Corner- Leon will be 31 and Pacman will be 32 and both are on the final year of there deals. Plus Kirkpatrick has to prove he is a long term answer as well. Outside of pass rushers Corner has to be the second most valuable position on defense.
Flanker WR- I think we keep Sanu over Jones  so we better  draft another speed guy who line opposite of AJ.

I would't ming a strong pass rushing SLB. I am however opposed to taking one in the 1st round... which sadly is when all of the elite edge rushers go.

I considered corner, but I think the team waits another year to pull the trigger on a corner. Especially after drafting Josh Shaw and stealing Troy Hill in UDFA.

I agree 100% on WR, and that the team will keep Sanu over Jones. a potential combo of Treadwell and AJ makes me salivate.
Reply/Quote
I was thinking about this just this morning.

In terms of immediate depth - WR, S, LB
That is as it stands right now. If the team re-signs Jones or Sanu as well as AJ and Wright or Alfred emerges WR doesn't become such a high priority.

I really think Safety and LB followed by DT have the biggest Question Marks.

The defensive line is fine assuming Hardison works out.

Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke and MJ are your ends
Geno your DT with Hardison.
Who do they have after that?
Sims on a 1 year deal, Peko contract is up.
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote