Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Biggest Draft Needs
(06-12-2015, 11:59 AM)Lqhybrid25 Wrote: I was thinking about this just this morning.

In terms of immediate depth - WR, S, LB
That is as it stands right now. If the team re-signs Jones or Sanu as well as AJ and Wright or Alfred emerges WR doesn't become such a high priority.

I really think Safety and LB followed by DT have the biggest Question Marks.

The defensive line is fine assuming Hardison works out.

Dunlap, Gilberry, Clarke and MJ are your ends
Geno your DT with Hardison.
Who do they have after that?
Sims on a 1 year deal, Peko contract is up.

I agree with LB, for sure. DT and WR also.

At safety I think we could get solid depth in the 4th or after. I really think we will sign Iloka back, and maybe Nelson on a declining vet type of deal.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 12:08 PM)c12schleyer Wrote: I agree with LB, for sure.  DT and WR also.

At safety I think we could get solid depth in the 4th or after. I really think we will sign Iloka back, and maybe Nelson on a declining vet type of deal.

I would go with LB, DT, and WR also as the top 3.

LB and WR depends a lot on the health of Burfict and re-signing of our existing WRs. If Burfict is never the same, perhaps LB in the first. Otherwise, I'd like to see a WR taken in the first unless there is a clear BPA at another position.

As you said, DB after. Williams is apparently coming on very strong, I expect Iloka to be re-signed, and Smith should hopefully grow as a depth safety with starter potential. Shaw may also move to safety and play slot CB in some situations.

Probably OL at some point for depth. Perhaps a backup center?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2015, 10:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I would go with LB, DT, and WR also as the top 3.

LB and WR depends a lot on the health of Burfict and re-signing of our existing WRs. If Burfict is never the same, perhaps LB in the first. Otherwise, I'd like to see a WR taken in the first unless there is a clear BPA at another position.

As you said, DB after. Williams is apparently coming on very strong, I expect Iloka to be re-signed, and Smith should hopefully grow as a depth safety with starter potential. Shaw may also move to safety and play slot CB in some situations.

Probably OL at some point for depth. Perhaps a backup center?

I agree 100% with the backup center.  I think in the 4th or 5th we will take a guy like Mathews from A&M.
Reply/Quote
Can we draft a coach with some fire and heart?
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 09:59 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: In my opinion the three biggest needs on this team are at WR, LB and at the NT position.  WR because all of our starters could potentially be entering FA after the 2015 season.  LB because we need to find a permanent replacement for Maualuga in the middle, as well as quality depth.  NT because Peko's production drastically declined in 2014.  As shown in my previous mock draft (http://bengalsboard.net/Thread-A-Way-Too-Early-2016-Mock-Draft-3-rds) there are a number of players available that can fill of the above needs.  I really do feel like this is the direction the front office will go in 2016 (as long as there is a player on the board that is close BPA and fits a position of need).

I would go
1st- WR if Treadwell is still on the board
2nd- LB. I love players like Scooby Wright and Jaylon Smith
3rd- NT.  As I mentioned Peko is in decline and we can get a solid NT prospect in the 3rd.

What would you like to see?
Somehow, somewhere, this team needs to find a real pass rusher.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
A new HC. A new owner. And an entirely different team atmosphere.

There is nothing wrong with the players we have.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2015, 09:24 AM)McC Wrote: Somehow, somewhere, this team needs to find a real pass rusher.  

They should play Carter more. He's shown more pass-rushing ability these past two weeks than Hunt has his entire career.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 05:34 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: They should play Carter more. He's shown more pass-rushing ability these past two weeks than Hunt has his entire career.

I'm gonna be so pissed when they keep Hunt over him.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2015, 11:42 PM)BernLock Wrote: Can we draft a coach with some fire and heart?

No.  There are none to be found.  Haven't you heard?  If Marvin is fired, we will immediately become the Browns and revert back to the 90's.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 08:28 AM)McC Wrote: No.  There are none to be found.  Haven't you heard?  If Marvin is fired, we will immediately become the Browns and revert back to the 90's.

My favorite part of this is that people will jump in and say "If we fire Marvin, do you want Mike Brown hiring a new coach?"

Who the **** do you think hired Marvin?
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2015, 04:24 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: My favorite part of this is that people will jump in and say "If we fire Marvin, do you want Mike Brown hiring a new coach?"

Who the **** do you think hired Marvin?

That argument always cracked me up because the answer (if they gave one) was either 'everybody gets lucky eventually' or 'Katie.'

It's either fate or someone else currently with the org, not the guy who — at the time — pretty much oversaw every detail.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 01:54 PM)Benton Wrote: That argument always cracked me up because the answer (if they gave one) was either 'everybody gets lucky eventually' or 'Katie.'

It's either fate or someone else currently with the org, not the guy who — at the time — pretty much oversaw every detail.

Agreed. Even when we decide on getting a new coach, don't people think Katie will have a large input in the decision? She pitched Marvin and convinced Mike to hire him. She's more powerful/assertive than 2003. I'm sure we're not going to go with another Shula.

Of course, this is all dependent of us not promoting Hue/Vance.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 04:18 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Agreed. Even when we decide on getting a new coach, don't people think Katie will have a large input in the decision? She pitched Marvin and convinced Mike to hire him. She's more powerful/assertive than 2003. I'm sure we're not going to go with another Shula.

Of course, this is all dependent of us not promoting Hue/Vance.

This would be such a Bengals move. I think both would be solid candidates for a position that I don't believe will ever be vacant for eternity, but I really, really, really, want someone from outside the organization to be the new HC.

Marvin was, and he greatly improved the status quo. Someone different with a refreshing perspective should be able to take what we have and mold it to something better than before.

If it's someone in the organization, I can't express the same sense of optimism.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 04:29 PM)Stormborn Wrote: This would be such a Bengals move. I think both would be solid candidates for a position that I don't believe will ever be vacant for eternity, but I really, really, really, want someone from outside the organization to be the new HC.

Marvin was, and he greatly improved the status quo. Someone different with a refreshing perspective should be able to take what we have and mold it to something better than before.

If it's someone in the organization, I can't express the same sense of optimism.

I agree that I would like someone from the outside to give us a fresh new look. However, there's no doubt in my mind that Hue or Vance will get the job if Marvin leaves after this season. I could easily see it being a situation where we'll see an outside name mentioned, we'll get excited/confused, and then the promotion will happen.

If/when we promote one of them, I'm personally hoping for Vance just because he'd be more of a breath of fresh air.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 04:48 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I agree that I would like someone from the outside to give us a fresh new look. However, there's no doubt in my mind that Hue or Vance will get the job if Marvin leaves after this season. I could easily see it being a situation where we'll see an outside name mentioned, we'll get excited/confused, and then the promotion will happen.

If/when we promote one of them, I'm personally hoping for Vance just because he'd be more of a breath of fresh air.

In that case then, Hue would probably take a HC job somewhere else I assume. With the talk this offseason, I'm sure it'll resurface provided we don't utterly suck on offense.

Then the Urban era would take over the offense.
Reply/Quote
Vance should be the next HC
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 04:48 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I agree that I would like someone from the outside to give us a fresh new look. However, there's no doubt in my mind that Hue or Vance will get the job if Marvin leaves after this season. I could easily see it being a situation where we'll see an outside name mentioned, we'll get excited/confused, and then the promotion will happen.

If Hue's offense is good this year, seems like he'd have a good shot a a job somewhere, which would probably leave Vance next in line.  Question is, will someone come after him before Marvin leaves?  How many guys go from position coach to HC?

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2015, 08:45 PM)McC Wrote: If Hue's offense is good this year, seems like he'd have a good shot a a job somewhere, which would probably leave Vance next in line.  Question is, will someone come after him before Marvin leaves?  How many guys go from position coach to HC?

Position coach to HC is a rarity. The 49ers just did it with Tomsula. I know the Lions hired Rod Marinelli, who was the DL coach in Tampa. I can't think of any other ones at this moment.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2015, 04:11 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Position coach to HC is a rarity. The 49ers just did it with Tomsula. I know the Lions hired Rod Marinelli, who was the DL coach in Tampa. I can't think of any other ones at this moment.

Tom Cable went from O-Line coach to HC in Oakland.

And John Madden if you want to go back far enough, but it is a rarity.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2015, 07:28 PM)blt4584 Wrote: Tom Cable went from O-Line coach to HC in Oakland.

And John Madden if you want to go back far enough, but it is a rarity.
Wasn't Mike Tomlin a DB coach?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote