Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Overlooked Things, Week Two
...and they're all sort of related!

1. Rumor has it...Jeff Triplette IS bad.
Truck started a thread about "Jegg," but here are some interesting notes about this ref:
  • He officiated the 2013 Bengals-Chargers wildcard game. Why is that interesting? Because it surprised many that Triplette was awarded a playoff game. Three weeks earlier, his crew lost track of downs in the Giants-Redskins game!
  • Triplette has exceeded the league's average penalties per game 12 of his 16 seasons.
  • Rumor holds that a replay assistant saved Triplette's butt Week One when he blew a fair catch signal in OT of the Rams-Seahawks game. (Unsolicited help by a replay official is a violation of rules, btw.)

2. Giovanni Bernard atoned for his wildcard fumble.
Do we remember that one, two minutes before halftime? Four yards from the goal line? How the game might have changed if Cincinnati went into halftime leading 17-7?
Here's a quote from ESPN:
[He] watched the tape of the Chargers entering Sunday's game, and Bernard couldn't help but relive his turnover. Even after Sunday's redemptive 24-19 win over San Diego, Bernard contends he still will be thinking about that fumble. "It's something that still burns in my belly," Bernard said. "This game's not going to mean that I don't think about that play at all."

...Now imagine if Triplette didn't blow the call on Hill's fumble! Ha!

3. Carson Palmer gets the assist.
Giovanni Bernard is the result of the Carson Palmer trade, orchestrated by none other than Hue Jackson. (We got DreK, too, btw!)
PLUS Hue was the Bengals' RB coach in 2013 when Gio arrived.
AND Hue went 3-1 against San Diego as OC then HC in Oakland, rushing for 196, 112, and 192 yards in the three wins.

Thanks, #9! Maybe Hue will see you again sometime closer to February.
Reply/Quote
When Andy Dalton gets time to throw, he's pretty good. Yesterday, he had a nice pocket for the most part of the day.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 02:19 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: When Andy Dalton gets time to throw, he's pretty good.  Yesterday, he had a nice pocket for the most part of the day.

As Truck mentioned with his PFF weekly rundown, the O-line was nearly flawless! They hit a couple procedural snags, but Andy was clean all day.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 03:38 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: As Truck mentioned with his PFF weekly rundown, the O-line was nearly flawless! They hit a couple procedural snags, but Andy was clean all day.

that pass to marvin jones looked perfect... same to AJ in the back of the Endzone hell even eiferts.

Missed a few got hit a few times but when you win the trenches you generally win the game
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 04:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that pass to marvin jones looked perfect... same to AJ in the back of the Endzone hell even eiferts.

Missed a few got hit a few times but when you win the trenches you generally win the game

The sad thing is that we played a ton better than what the score says. The Bengals have looked like the best team in the league the past 2 weeks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd go top 3 with Arizona and New England. The Pats took care of what I see as 2 of the top 8 teams in the AFC and did so in dominant fashion (both teams made the score much closer than the game with late garbage points).
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 02:17 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: ...and they're all sort of related!

Truck started a thread about "Jegg," but here are some interesting notes about this ref:
  • He officiated the 2013 Bengals-Chargers wildcard game. Why is that interesting? Because it surprised many that Triplette was awarded a playoff game. Three weeks earlier, his crew lost track of downs in the Giants-Redskins game!
  • Triplette has exceeded the league's average penalties per game 12 of his 16 seasons.
  • Rumor holds that a replay assistant saved Triplette's butt Week One when he blew a fair catch signal in OT of the Rams-Seahawks game. (Unsolicited help by a replay official is a violation of rules, btw.)

Do we remember that one, two minutes before halftime? Four yards from the goal line? How the game might have changed if Cincinnati went into halftime leading 17-7?
[He] watched the tape of the Chargers entering Sunday's game, and Bernard couldn't help but relive his turnover. Even after Sunday's redemptive 24-19 win over San Diego, Bernard contends he still will be thinking about that fumble. "It's something that still burns in my belly," Bernard said. "This game's not going to mean that I don't think about that play at all."

Giovanni Bernard is the result of the Carson Palmer trade, orchestrated by none other than Hue Jackson. (We got DreK, too, btw!)
AND Hue went 3-1 against San Diego as OC then HC in Oakland, rushing for 196, 112, and 192 yards in the three wins.

A Super Bowl between the Bengals and Cardinals would not only be amazing but also not too farfetched given how both teams have started out the season.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 04:11 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that pass to marvin jones looked perfect... same to AJ in the back of the Endzone hell even eiferts.

Yep.  When the o-line and defensive lines dominate, good things usually happen.  
Reply/Quote
And for the second week Dre Kirk came flying out of no where to try and save a busted play. He is one fast dude and doesn't quit
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 04:20 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: The sad thing is that we played a ton better than what the score says. The Bengals have looked like the best team in the league the past 2 weeks.

I disagree with that statement.  We haven't been good against the run on defense, and the offense has been attrocious on third down.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 09:59 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I disagree with that statement.  We haven't been good against the run on defense, and the offense has been attrocious on third down.

I think those are areas of improvement we need to focus on, especially with a CB leading us in tackles
Reply/Quote

How sweet would it be do beat Carson "The Quitter" Palmer in the SuperBowl??!?!!?!?!?!

Man that gives me a woody just thinking about it......
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 03:38 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: As Truck mentioned with his PFF weekly rundown, the O-line was nearly flawless! They hit a couple procedural snags, but Andy was clean all day.

I'm shocked at how good our line is because they were honestly the only real thing I thought could hold us back this year, but they're proved me wrong and then some.

But you can tell Andy has had his doubts, too, because you'll see plays when he's standing in the pocket for a few seconds and starts looking to scramble because he figures that there has to be pressure coming.  Our line is playing better than average and actually playing so good that they surprise our own quarterback, which is a hell of a feat.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 09:32 PM)Slappy from New Haven Wrote: And for the second week Dre Kirk came flying out of no where to try and save a busted play. He is one fast dude and doesn't quit

that IS overlooked. Dre's one handle snag tackle of that guy was a game saver. Don't remember how that drive ended, but it was impressive he got to the sideline JUST in time.
Reply/Quote

I hope Carson is watching TV in February and sees Hue.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 05:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A Super Bowl between the Bengals and Cardinals would not only be amazing but also not too farfetched given how both teams have started out the season.

Can you imagine the press leading up to the game?  Why did you leave Cincinnati?  Are you guys mad that he left you?  Drama, drama, drama...the NFL would love it, even with two relatively small markets. 
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2015, 05:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A Super Bowl between the Bengals and Cardinals would not only be amazing but also not too farfetched given how both teams have started out the season.

This morning I heard raves about Aaron Rodgers (naturally), Tom Brady (but of course) and...Carson Palmer!

Um, isn't Andy in the same rarified air right now? All TDs, no sacks? 100+ rating both weeks? Fine. Know what? Keep it under the radar, sports media. Last night's MNF snub was almost palpable. Ours is one of maybe four, five teams that weren't even mentioned. No highlights, no recap, no projections, no praise, nothing. 2-0 and completely off the grid! Ha!
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2015, 01:03 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm shocked at how good our line is because they were honestly the only real thing I thought could hold us back this year, but they're proved me wrong and then some.

But you can tell Andy has had his doubts, too, because you'll see plays when he's standing in the pocket for a few seconds and starts looking to scramble because he figures that there has to be pressure coming.  Our line is playing better than average and actually playing so good that they surprise our own quarterback, which is a hell of a feat.

So true. I thought in preseason, obviously after the MNF TB game, "Oh great. Andy's patented three-steps-and-chuck-it. This line couldn't stop a sink."

Well. I appear to be mistaken.
Reply/Quote