Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Things....
(03-13-2019, 05:10 PM)yang Wrote: Hart had no takers last year and we signed him for a million dollars.  He is exactly what the Giants thought as he proved to be one of the worst defensive tackles in the NFL.  

Its hard to be a good defensive tackle when you play RT on the offensive line.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 05:10 PM)yang Wrote: How do you open a door?  How do you a know a doorknob will work?  You seem oblivious to the ability to extrapolate from known facts.

How did you come to the conclusion that we would have a top 5 defense last year?

(09-06-2018, 03:16 PM)yang Wrote: With that said, I believe the Bengals will have a top 5 defense.  They have all the makings of being very special sharing the key ingredients with other elite squads- Monster defensive tackle, stud pass rushers, elite corner, and bruising and quick linebackers.   I think we'll have better schemes and more be more aggressive going after turnovers.    It's going to be fun to watch.

Maybe you don't know as much as you think, eh?

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 06:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How did you come to the conclusion that we would have a top 5 defense last year?

Maybe you don't know as much as you think, eh?

Rolleyes

The prior year we had made great strides and finished a top 5 defense toward the end of the season.  I was an eternal optimist that with a new coach our defense could maintain or excel.  As with most offseason's go the Bengals thwarted all of the hopes we all had.  We had a bad coach and numerous injuries led to a complete disaster, but you should know this.  Aren't you the resident sarcastic crusty dude that trolls everyone here?

So again, what's your over/under.  Why change the subject?  3 wins?  

And by the way can you search where I was ranting about us picking Price?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 08:13 PM)yang Wrote: The prior year we had made great strides and finished a top 5 defense toward the end of the season.  I was an eternal optimist that with a new coach our defense could maintain or excel.  As with most offseason's go the Bengals thwarted all of the hopes we all had.  We had a bad coach and numerous injuries led to a complete disaster, but you should know this.  Aren't you the resident sarcastic crusty dude that trolls everyone here?

So you were happy/confident enough in the defense (and the people who built it) to predict a top 5 finish last year... right up until the point it didn't work and THEN it's a front office problem. It's kind of weird to go instantly go from "this defense looks great and I can't wait to see them" to "how could the Bengals possibly have put this unit horrible together", isn't it?

In 2015 there was talk that the Bengals had assembled the most talented roster in the league. There was talk on a national level that the Bengals had become one of the model organizations in the NFL. It wasn't *that* long ago, and it was put together by the exact same people who are in the front office now, but all people ever want to do is act like the FO has always been an abject failure. It's not remotely true. 

(cue: "but but but but the 90s")
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 02:30 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Three things come to mind that has caused some fans pause if not full throttle panic in bengaldom.  

First, it started with the hire of Turner as OL coach.  I think his history turned off a lot of bengal fans because of the past perception that the franchise has been trying to shake like the team is full of thugs.  Plus his resume is simply not outstanding.  He brings average expectations at best.

Second, the no-hire of JDR.  I think when Taylor turned down JDR, that he lost a lot of PR capital and faith.  I am not sure how Sweet Lou will do but his past resume is average at best.  The late hire of Sweet Lou leaves some believe that he is the 7-8th choice.  The hiring of DC was a PR nightmare that should have been kept under wrap.    

The deal breaker or back breaker for most was signing Hart.  That signing has literally cause some fans PTSD.  It is like one of those familiar signings that stings like an STD.  Like a nightmare.  Why?  Fans go by what they watch every Sunday.  Some go by metric data provided by PFF data.  Neither support signing Hart as the future RT for a team that has supposedly changed.  It wreaks sameness and settling for mediocrity; characteristics that long-term Bengal fans have correlated with Mike Brown and the Front Office.  

So here we are.  Looking seemingly up toward other teams in the AFC North.  I think Taylor needs to hit homeruns this 2019 draft; I mean he needs to kill it.

Nice post. I'd also add that that for many it's amplified by what we're seeing happen in Cleveland the last 2 years. 
Reply/Quote
People seem to forget just how well the Bengals were playing, with the same roster, at the beginning of last season before injuries decimated the roster.....
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 08:25 AM)Sled21 Wrote: People seem to forget just how well the Bengals were playing, with the same roster, at the beginning of last season before injuries decimated the roster.....

And before we started playing really good teams...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 08:42 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And before we started playing really good teams...

In our first 5 games, we beat 2 playoff teams and 2 teams that finished 7-9.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 08:49 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: In our first 5 games, we beat 2 playoff teams and 2 teams that finished 7-9.

We got Luck before he shook the rust off, and beat a mediocre Ravens team. BFD.

7-9 teams are not really good teams in my book.

How did we do against KC, NO, Cleveland (who would have had a better record if they started Mayfield all 16 games)

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 05:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, what's horrible are fans who complain a player was horrible when that player was actually injured and gutting it out because there was no one else available.... ie Uzo and Brown. Both did admirable jobs considering the injuries they had.... I'm not in panic mode, I'm not even in concerned mode. Nothing has happened yet except we signed some of our own free agents to fair deals. People whining about the deals need to actually read them....

Fair deals? Dude both those players suck; Brown  might be able to play on run downs only but in a league where it's 70% Nickle packages that's not good.  Hart should be earning a pay check in the CFL or AFF he has no business in being the NFL.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:33 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote:  Brown  might be able to play on run downs only but in a league where it's 70% Nickle packages that's not good.

Guess you missed the AFC Championship and Super Bowl games.

Patriots in those two games...80 rushes for 5 tds, 81 passes for 1 td.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 10:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We got Luck before he shook the rust off,

Can we stop with this BS.  Luck completed 74% of his passes against us and only had 4 games where he threw for more yards than he did against us (319).
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 03:30 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I think the panic mode isn't warranted, but cause for some concern. Despite a 'culture' change, we are still making the same Bengal mistakes. I don't agree with winning Super Bowls through FA, but having some sort of impact in FA would be nice. As usual, nothing.

Guess we will wait and see come September.

If this team really wants to be like the Patriots, they need to start acting like it.
The Patriots aren't huge participants in FA, but here's what they do that's different than how the Bengals operate...
They identify 1-2 key high-profile in-their-prime starters to either sign or trade for. Stephon Gilmore and Brandin Cooks come to mind.
I don't recall a single high-profile in-his-prime starter to be brought into Cincinnati in a long time.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guess you missed the AFC Championship and Super Bowl games.

I guess they did too..... Belicheat has set the blueprint for beating teams with lighter quicker linebackers. Put your power game in a drive it down their throats..... a year or so ago, the FB was a dying breed in this league. Wonder how many teams will add one to the roster this year.....
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Can we stop with this BS.  Luck completed 74% of his passes against us and only had 4 games where he threw for more yards than he did against us (319).

Only 4 other games? That’s a quarter of the season lol

It didn’t take long for teams to figure out how to beat our historically bad defense.

Sorry if I’m not going hang my hat on beating a couple average teams like the Colts and Ravens. I’ll be ok with keeping a roster together that can beat teams like NO, KC, and LAR. Not “well we beat the 10-6 Colts!”

You either try to build your team to compete with the best of the best (like Cleveland is doing) or you settle for mediocrity.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2019, 05:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: No, what's horrible are fans who complain a player was horrible when that player was actually injured and gutting it out because there was no one else available.... ie Uzo and Brown. Both did admirable jobs considering the injuries they had.... I'm not in panic mode, I'm not even in concerned mode. Nothing has happened yet except we signed some of our own free agents to fair deals. People whining about the deals need to actually read them....

This....

I'm willing to wait til the losses start piling up to complain.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Just when you thought the could not possibly be another thread like this.

Can we start an "Bengals suck" subforum so the rest of us can discuss the upcoming season and team news?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just when you thought the could not possibly be another thread like this.

Can we start an "Bengals suck" subforum so the rest of us can discuss the upcoming season and team news?

If they give us something new there will be threads to talk about it.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 09:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If they give us something new there will be threads to talk about it.

I know. I've seen the Webb threads.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Guess you missed the AFC Championship and Super Bowl games.

I've been saying the same thing since the playoffs - BB basically laid out the plan to defeat "modern" defenses which is to line up the big guys and play power football. 
Reply/Quote