Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three-pronged attack
So saw this a while ago but nobody has posted anhthing yes, so i figured i would. Guenther said he was going to go with a three-pronged attack at slot corner with dennard shaw and lewis-harris. Deoending on situation, look, and gameplan will determine whose in there at what times.Is it just me or does this worry people? Im a believer of a corner needs to be in there for a little to get used to what the reciever is gonna do. Say you have dennard in there for a quarter is getting comfortable with the reciever not biting on fakes etc. Then you put a corner in there for his first play hes not gonna be as good as someone whose been covering him for a whole quarter as opposed to someone just off the bench.
Reply/Quote
I think that he's earned a right to play around a little and receive the benefit of the doubt about it.  I think that it shows a pretty extreme understanding of his players' strengths and weaknesses if he feels comfortable doing it.  It's hard to know what their strengths are after only seeing them all in limited time, but I'd guess that Dennard is more about short area blanket coverage, Shaw is more about open field tackling 5-7 yards downfield(maybe RB/TE coverage too), and Lewis-Harris is good at keeping up on go routes/chasing people down from behind.  TBH I don't really care how they rotate so long as what they do works.
Reply/Quote
I don't know about who goes in where. I'll leave that to coaches....but, you have pointed out an area that has had changes and needs to step up...Reggie Nelson and Leon Hall gone....OK, we have been drafting 1st round DB's, those are some big shoes to fill....So it's not just WR's replacing Jones and Sanu.....DB is another area players need to step up.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think a defensive coordinator...and a fifth grader...know more about football than the OP. So Guenther's idea does not worry me.
Reply/Quote
Let the coach coach, and I as a fan will observe.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Just tells me that he has confidence in his DB's.

Plus if there are problems Guenther can revert back quickly.

We are very fortunate MB had the insight to lock up Guenther in advance or he would be the Vikings DB right now.

Very shrewd and brilliant on his part.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Only thing that says to me is that Dennard (a first round pick) is having to share time with a 4th round pick and an undrafted kid. That doesn't exactly bolster confidence in the Dennard pick.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 02:43 AM)Jpoore Wrote: So saw this a while ago but nobody has posted anhthing yes, so i figured i would. Guenther said he was going to go with a three-pronged attack at slot corner with dennard shaw and lewis-harris. Deoending on situation, look, and gameplan will determine whose in there at what times.Is it just me or does this worry people? Im a believer of a corner needs to be in there for a little to get used to what the reciever is gonna do. Say you have dennard in there for a quarter is getting comfortable with the reciever not biting on fakes etc. Then you put a corner in there for his first play hes not gonna be as good as someone whose been covering him for a whole quarter as opposed to someone just off the bench.

No.

If anything it makes me happy that he is looking to utilize his players in a way that allows the strength of each to help the squad the most.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 02:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only thing that says to me is that Dennard (a first round pick) is having to share time with a 4th round pick and an undrafted kid. That doesn't exactly bolster confidence in the Dennard pick.

Doesn't say anything of the sort.

Shaw has put in a lot of work at safety, so he might go in the slot only for a big nickel situation.  Electing for 3 safeties on the field has nothing to do with a corner backs ability.

Similarly, for all we know, the Lewis-Harris package has Dennard outside of him on the split end with Jones isolated on the flanker and Dre on the sideline.
Reply/Quote
One further point, I like the fact that he is using the term attack.

Makes me think that he is planning ahead to how teams want to dictate to defenses by personnel grouping, but he is already prepared to be able neutralize that ability and still counter strike from the grouping.
Reply/Quote
Yeah it worries me because of communication. If you're constantly switching lineups around(especially in the secondary and oline) there is going to be miscommunication which leads to big plays from the other team.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 02:36 PM)J24 Wrote: Yeah it worries me because of communication. If you're constantly switching lineups around(especially in the secondary and oline) there is going to be miscommunication which leads to big plays from the other team.

Players swap in and out due to game circumstances all the time, this is no different.
Like someone else already said this is just using players strengths and putting them in a position to succeed. No reason to freak out, it's called good coaching
Reply/Quote
first of all, where is this coming from? I'd like to see it. Is it in reference to preseason? That's just about evaluation, no one game plans for these games.
Reply/Quote
It's just you.....
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 03:55 AM)kevin Wrote: I don't know about who goes in where. I'll leave that to coaches....

I agree all the way Kevin.  Guenther, not just as a DC, but the input, responsibility, and experience he had under Zimmer, gives him, from me, the trust and respect that he knows these players and formations a whole lot better than my couch coach experience can contribute.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 02:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Doesn't say anything of the sort.

Shaw has put in a lot of work at safety, so he might go in the slot only for a big nickel situation.  Electing for 3 safeties on the field has nothing to do with a corner backs ability.

Similarly, for all we know, the Lewis-Harris package has Dennard outside of him on the split end with Jones isolated on the flanker and Dre on the sideline.

After reflecting on this I would say they should be flip-flopped.

I could see this being a situational instance in the second half of a tight game where the opposition is third and a mile on their side of the field.  Jones stays on the sideline to be sure he is not winded before the chance to take the punt return to the house.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 02:48 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Players swap in and out due to game circumstances all the time, this is no different.
Like someone else already said this is just using players strengths and putting them in a position to succeed. No reason to freak out, it's called good coaching

Agreed.  Going into a given game, the boys will know which situation dictates which guy covers the slot.

I also agree that it's disappointing that dennard isn't just holding it down himself.  But what ever works.  Whatever gets w's, do that shit.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 02:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Doesn't say anything of the sort.

If a first round pick is in a three way shared play time situation, then he's failed at being a first round pick. Just how it is, man.

Nobody uses first round picks on players who'll play 33% of the 70% of the time the defense is using a nickle back.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 03:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If a first round pick is in a three way shared play time situation, then he's failed at being a first round pick. Just how it is, man.

Nobody uses first round picks on players who'll play 33% of the 70% of the time the defense is using a nickle back.

You've only failed at being a first round pick if you aren't selected in the first round.

But to the bigger point, there is no mention that he won't be on the field, only that he will not be the exclusive nickel back.

When we go against the Pats, do you want him responsible for a flexed out Bennet or Gronk?  No, you want a safety in that position.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2016, 03:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If a first round pick is in a three way shared play time situation, then he's failed at being a first round pick. Just how it is, man.

Not pleased that he is not being the alpha and taking it over either.

But he is coming off an injury and has looked good to me when he was healthy. 

Still think Dennard will pay dividends and still like that DC has faith in others as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote