Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thuney and Warford
Should be our top FA targets. Who says no to this OL?

Sewell - Thuney - Hopkins - Warford - Williams

Spain and XSF as backup OG’s. Hart and Adeniji backup OT’s. Price backup center. I’ve seen enough of Jordan. Cut him, Fred Johnson, and Redmond, or shoot them out of a cannon for all I care. No more scrubs protecting our franchise QB. Just can’t have it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Yeah we don't have that kind of cash. If they can sign one good FA guard and draft Sewell that would be amazing. But they gotta hit on pass rush/CB in the second round. And Burrow needs a full recovery.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 03:56 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yeah we don't have that kind of cash. If they can sign one good FA guard and draft Sewell that would be amazing. But they gotta hit on pass rush/CB in the second round. And Burrow needs a full recovery.

AJ alone frees up 18 million. Plus Dunlap’s money will be off the books.

Reply/Quote
Would be nice, but we won't do it
Reply/Quote
There's no way we will do 2 FA guards IMO but I do like the thoughts. If we stay at #3 which is almost a guarantee now and nobody blows us away with a trade up scenario I would love to draft Sewell. If that's the case this is my most realistic attempt at our o-line come 2021:

LT- Sewell
LG- Spain
C- Hopkins
RG- Warford
RT- Williams

Backups- Hart, Price, Adeniji, Jordan, XSF

cuts- Redmond, Johnson.

-I think this injury will force the Bengals to look at upgrading the Guard position in 2021. Spain isn't garbage, and Warford would be the expensive addition, but this line is way better under the financials allowed, and still be able to add pieces to the D-line.
Reply/Quote
Probably wouldn’t get both to sign here anyway, but they should absolutely target both and hope to get at least one of them.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 03:56 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yeah we don't have that kind of cash. If they can sign one good FA guard and draft Sewell that would be amazing. But they gotta hit on pass rush/CB in the second round. And Burrow needs a full recovery.

Geoff? Is that you? Come to dust off the annual article that says the Bengals REALLY only have $15m in cap space to spend?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 04:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: AJ alone frees up 18 million. Plus Dunlap’s money will be off the books.

That and I don’t think it makes sense to bring Geno back. 32 years old on the decline ,coming off shoulder surgery, playing on a rebuilding team and making good money. Also love the original post project the franchise at all cost, no more we don’t pay guards.
Reply/Quote
Kinda late to fix the OL huh?
Reply/Quote

I'd rather we have a safe offensive line for Burrow to play behind but a defense that couldn't stop anything than compromise our Oline to get a pass rusher or CB in the 2nd round, personally. We can always build the defense in 2021 or 2022, but the franchise needs to be protected immediately. I wouldn't even be upset if they just, down the line, took the best offensive lineman in each round. It wouldn't be efficient drafting, but it would significantly lower the chances of an Ogbuehi or Fisher level choice setting us back 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 09:29 AM)Bengals731 Wrote: Kinda late to fix the OL huh?

Not at all. Burrow’s career isn’t done. He will need protection next season and that protection needs to be better. Sewell and Thuney would be big steps towards achieving that.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd rather we have a safe offensive line for Burrow to play behind but a defense that couldn't stop anything than compromise our Oline to get a pass rusher or CB in the 2nd round, personally. We can always build the defense in 2021 or 2022, but the franchise needs to be protected immediately. I wouldn't even be upset if they just, down the line, took the best offensive lineman in each round. It wouldn't be efficient drafting, but it would significantly lower the chances of an Ogbuehi or Fisher level choice setting us back 5 years.

When you whiff in the draft as badly as the Bengals did with the likes of Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, and Ross, the penalty is you must spend some money in free agency to make up for those mistakes.  Those guys were given every opportunity.  Oddly, the Bengals spent most of their FA dollars on defense, and have had some really bad luck with the top two being out injured for most of the season.  

I look at Thuney as a sure thing.  You know what you are getting.  What if they draft Sewell and he is another Obguehi?  I have no idea but the truth is none of us do.  Thuney is an NFL proven, top-at-his-position, Guard.  I would rather spend on him than keep Atkins.  Of course, Thuney will likely cost an additional $5 million per year over that, but I think there are places to make that savings happen.  

The tackle play has been solid.  Jonah will be our LT for a long time.  I don't really like the idea of moving him to RT.  They really need help at G.  Maybe Spain can be one of those guys.  Was it MJ that got Burrow smoked?  I thought it was.  If they draft a T early (Sewell?) they could spend their FA dollars on a top tier guard like Thuney and then you have the makings of a really good line.  

That, and a pass rush, are priority one and two for this team.  I don't even know what to think about the coaching staff.  Makes me sick. 
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When you whiff in the draft as badly as the Bengals did with the likes of Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, and Ross, the penalty is you must spend some money in free agency to make up for those mistakes.  Those guys were given every opportunity.  Oddly, the Bengals spent most of their FA dollars on defense, and have had some really bad luck with the top two being out injured for most of the season.  

I look at Thuney as a sure thing.  You know what you are getting.  What if they draft Sewell and he is another Obguehi?  I have no idea but the truth is none of us do.  Thuney is an NFL proven, top-at-his-position, Guard.  I would rather spend on him than keep Atkins.  Of course, Thuney will likely cost an additional $5 million per year over that, but I think there are places to make that savings happen.  

The tackle play has been solid.  Jonah will be our LT for a long time.  I don't really like the idea of moving him to RT.  They really need help at G.  Maybe Spain can be one of those guys.  Was it MJ that got Burrow smoked?  I thought it was.  If they draft a T early (Sewell?) they could spend their FA dollars on a top tier guard like Thuney and then you have the makings of a really good line.  

That, and a pass rush, are priority one and two for this team.  I don't even know what to think about the coaching staff.  Makes me sick. 

Yeah, he is the one who tackled his guy into Burrow's leg. (Though worth noting that Burrow got hit in the torso at the same time by the guy who beat Adeniji at RT.)

If they can get Sewell, move Jonah to RT, sign Thuney to be LG, you're hopefully just a RG away from having a quite good OL. I don't mind Hopkins as a starter on OL, he just needs to be your 5th best, not your 1st/2nd best if you want to be any good. The filler and not the glue.

Of course all success is dependent upon getting new coaches who know what the F they're doing.   :andy:

- - - - - - - -

(If they can't get Sewell at #3, at least they will be able to get Chase. I know WR doesn't seem like a pressing needs, but holy crap Chase/Boyd/Higgins could be 3 simultaneous 1,000 yard receivers for the next 3 years. Just have to spend even more FA money on OL then.)

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, he is the one who tackled his guy into Burrow's leg. (Though worth noting that Burrow got hit in the torso at the same time by the guy who beat Adeniji at RT.)

If they can get Sewell, move Jonah to RT, sign Thuney to be LG, you're hopefully just a RG away from having a quite good OL. I don't mind Hopkins as a starter on OL, he just needs to be your 5th best, not your 1st/2nd best if you want to be any good. The filler and not the glue.

Of course all success is dependent upon getting new coaches who know what the F they're doing.   :andy:

Why was MJ even in there?  Wasn't Spain the starter at LG?  I guess he might have played RG and MJ started at left?  Need to see the PFF scores for this week.  Once Burrow went down, my eyes just glazed over and I was done for the day.  
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 10:38 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Why was MJ even in there?  Wasn't Spain the starter at LG?  I guess he might have played RG and MJ started at left?  Need to see the PFF scores for this week.  Once Burrow went down, my eyes just glazed over and I was done for the day.  

Spain was the starter at RG, Jordan at LG.

There's going to be a good amount of people with a whole lot more free time on their hands on Sunday afternoons. I understand watching your team regardless of who is playing, but nobody should be subjected to watching Finley be the starter again.

Reply/Quote

Huh? Even if the cap goes down to 175 we got 10 mil to roll over and will currently be 40 mil under cap.  I expect geno to get cut or traded freeing up another 10 mil.  We will be 50 mil under cap while half the league will be at or over cap.  We literally couldn't be in much better shape cap wise to fix the oline this off-season.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2020, 11:33 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Spain was the starter at RG, Jordan at LG.

There's going to be a good amount of people with a whole lot more free time on their hands on Sunday afternoons. I understand watching your team regardless of who is playing, but nobody should be subjected to watching Finley be the starter again.

I can't watch Finley QB this team for 6 games.  :paul:
Reply/Quote
I love the idea of adding Thuney and Warford in FA but it would mean moving on from WJ3, Lawson, and probably others.
If you do that, you should have a stud offense but you'll have to go basically full defense in the draft.

Without WJ3 and Lawson, you'd need to get 1-2 CBs (replace WJ3 and Alexander), 2-3 DL (replace Dunlap, Lawson, and heir to Atkins), and maybe 1 LB (replace Bynes/Evans) all in the draft.
If you're spending your 1st round pick on Sewell, you are having to get quality play out of the gate from basically every Rd 2-6 pick.

Are you willing to gamble that much on all those draft picks for defense to contribute as rookies?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Our big off season free agency line acquisition will be Spain. We won't look at other expensive options. We will hopefully use the 3rd pick on Sewell, but we love Blobby Hart so I'm not even sure we can count on that.

How awful would this be for next year
Hart
Spain
Hop
Jordan
Williams

I suspect that's what we can expect
Reply/Quote
Haven't a bunch of teams passed on Warford for a reason prior to him opting out?
Reply/Quote