Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thursday Night Football.
Read an article that a lot of players do not like Thursday Night Games, thought I would see what you guys thought. I enjoy watching, the games, but not 100% sold on it either. (Especially after Geno). However what do you guys think to much wear and tear on the guys? Seems perhaps this was discussed before but I thought I would revisit it.... since more talk around the NFL about it.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/21/9582876/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-thursday-tnf-complaints

LONDON - I personally do not like this IDEA at all... Hope we are not schedule to play there anytime soon.
Reply/Quote
Not a big revelation, its been talked about before how much the players/coaches hate the Thursday night games. Personally id much rather see two Monday night games.
Reply/Quote
Players have about 100 hundred hours to recover from a Sunday game. It is ridiculous. But the players agreed to it because of extra revenue.

If they absolutely HAVE to have Thursday games then it should always involve teams coming off a bye week. The problem with that is that the league only has bye weeks from week 4 through 11.
Reply/Quote
As a fan, I love it. If I was a player, I would hate it. Three days is a short recovery time for competition (when not trained for it), regardless of the sport but especially football.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Players have about 100 hundred hours to recover from a Sunday game.  It is ridiculous.  But the players agreed to it because of extra revenue.  

If they absolutely HAVE to have Thursday games then it should always involve teams coming off a bye week.  The problem with that is that the league only has bye weeks from week 4 through 11.

Off the Bye Week, yeah not a bad idea at all Genius...  if they are playing it then set it up right for sure!!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 03:40 PM)Sweetness Wrote: As a fan, I love it. If I was a player, I would hate it. Three days is a short recovery time for competition, regardless of the sport but especially football.

As a Fan, I do like falling asleep to the game!! LOL...  Man I am old, I am falling asleep on Monday and Sunday night games too lately unless we are involved... use to be up watching the division games for sure but now falling ASLEEP!!!
Reply/Quote
I hate Thursday games when we have to play them. I'm always worried about recovery time, game planning time, and mental readiness of our players, especially if they're coming off a tough division battle, like this year for instance, playing at Pittsburgh Sunday, then Cleveland on Thursday. That's Steelers Nov. 1 and Browns Nov. 5.

However, when it's not us, I'm always glad there's a game on TV. I'm a selfish bastard, right?
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 03:48 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: I hate Thursday games when we have to play them.  I'm always worried about recovery time, game planning time, and mental readiness of our players, especially if their coming off a tough division battle, like this year for instance, playing at Pittsburgh Sunday, then Cleveland on Thursday.  That's Steelers Nov. 1 and Browns Nov. 5.

However, when it's not us, I'm always glad there's a game on TV.  I'm a selfish bastard, right?

Yeah, yer a selfish bastid.

I am right there with you.

I agree with what Fred said, if they have to have TNG's they should do them after the bye weeks for teams.

But that pry would not work either. I am with the OP as well, cannot stand the thought of London. :angry:
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Players have about 100 hundred hours to recover from a Sunday game.  It is ridiculous.  But the players agreed to it because of extra revenue.  

If they absolutely HAVE to have Thursday games then it should always involve teams coming off a bye week.  The problem with that is that the league only has bye weeks from week 4 through 11.

This right here.....they need to extend the bye week periods a game or two, and do it this way, and maybe offer some MNF double headers during the weeks that have no byes....just a thought, but you're absolutely on track with that logic, imo.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

and it has to be hard to get a real practice in there especially if your on the road for that thrusday game
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 04:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: This right here.....they need to extend the bye week periods a game or two, and do it this way, and maybe offer some MNF double headers during the weeks that have no byes....just a thought, but you're absolutely on track with that logic, imo.

Problem with that is the TV Contract...
Reply/Quote
Unless it's the Bengals, I never really watch more than a quarter of any game on Thursday, and sometimes less. Don't much care for Thursday games.

It also is a pain in the ass for fantasy football too since you have to worry about your lineup only 2 days after the previous week ends and wrecks your lineup if you have both Sunday gametime decisions and Thursday players.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 04:31 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Unless it's the Bengals, I never really watch more than a quarter of any game on Thursday, and sometimes less. Don't much care for Thursday games.

It also is a pain in the ass for fantasy football too since you have to worry about your lineup only 2 days after the previous week ends and wrecks your lineup if you have both Sunday gametime decisions and Thursday players.

Yeah, that too.
Reply/Quote

Yes this is an issue. I worry about our turn around from Pitt to Cleveland. Pitt will be a physical game and the recovery time just isn't there. I wish we played Pitt this week then the bye next. And it has nothing to do with the rapist not playing.
Reply/Quote
Fantasy Football < Air Guitar . To me they are both dumb as h.e. double hockey sticks.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 05:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Fantasy Football < Air Guitar . To me they are both dumb as h.e. double hockey sticks.

How do you feel about masturbation?
Reply/Quote
No to Thursday games, except Thanksgiving, and no to London games.
Reply/Quote
Why not a Friday or Saturday game? It's a big difference. NFL fans will watch the NFL regardless and the NFL will generally knock viewership away from other sports. Now I do get that ESPN, CBS and NBC all have contracts to also show college games, so Saturday might not work, but Friday would.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 05:16 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Fantasy Football < Air Guitar . To me they are both dumb as h.e. double hockey sticks.

Air Guitar is an ArtForm that can only be conquered through hours of practice..   Air Guitar Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 05:51 PM)ItsOdellThurman Wrote: Why not a Friday or Saturday game?  It's a big difference.  NFL fans will watch the NFL regardless and the NFL will generally knock viewership away from other sports.  Now I do get that ESPN, CBS and NBC all have contracts to also show college games, so Saturday might not work, but Friday would.

The NFL just recently brought back a Saturday game last year. They seldom do them because of the Sports Broadcasting Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote