Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thursday Night Football.
(10-21-2015, 05:56 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The NFL just recently brought back a Saturday game last year. They seldom do them because of the Sports Broadcasting Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

Seems like an outdated act.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Players have about 100 hundred hours to recover from a Sunday game. It is ridiculous. But the players agreed to it because of extra revenue.

If they absolutely HAVE to have Thursday games then it should always involve teams coming off a bye week. The problem with that is that the league only has bye weeks from week 4 through 11.

The simple solution is to have 2 games on several Thursdays after bye weeks. ... (1) an "early" Eastern Time game (5:00 ET) and (2) an "early" pacific Time game (5:30 PT).

Gtanted, the viewing audience way out west will be limited for #1 but with the ability to watch TV on smartphones, etc., the NFL will still get viewers. And, if your favorite team is playing and you live in a western time zone, you could always take a few houors off of work and watch the game in your local watering hole.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 03:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Players have about 100 hundred hours to recover from a Sunday game.  It is ridiculous.  But the players agreed to it because of extra revenue.  

If they absolutely HAVE to have Thursday games then it should always involve teams coming off a bye week.  The problem with that is that the league only has bye weeks from week 4 through 11.
Maybe have TNF only in weeks 4-11. Other weeks double up on Sunday night or Monday night games. If the NF of L had its way the teams would play twice a week $$$$$$$$. Sick
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 03:41 PM)aMarlon23 Wrote: As a Fan, I do like falling asleep to the game!! LOL...  Man I am old, I am falling asleep on Monday and Sunday night games too lately unless we are involved... use to be up watching the division games for sure but now falling ASLEEP!!!

Funny enough, as someone only in their twenties, I too find myself falling asleep sometimes on one of those late night games, unless the Bengals are playing. Occasionally there will be a gem of a game on Monday or Thursday, but those are too far in between.

And I do agree with the sentiment that anything that makes it less harder on the players for TNF should be welcomed.
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 07:58 PM)Emphasis Wrote: Funny enough, as someone only in their twenties, I too find myself falling asleep sometimes on one of those late night games, unless the Bengals are playing. Occasionally there will be a gem of a game on Monday or Thursday, but those are too far in between.

And I do agree with the sentiment that anything that makes it less harder on the players for TNF should be welcomed.

DANG YOU YOUTHFUL KIDS!!!  You and your fancy Etch a Sketches!!!   Enjoy your youth!!  Don't take life to seriously and enjoy the ride!!!  

WHO DEY!!!!
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2015, 08:15 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: DANG YOU YOUTHFUL KIDS!!!  You and your fancy Etch a Sketches!!!   Enjoy your youth!!  Don't take life to seriously and enjoy the ride!!!  

WHO DEY!!!!

WHO DEY! & duly noted. Cool
Reply/Quote
It's crap football. Has been since day one and will continue to be. But, hey, they know they have us. We'll watch. It's the NFL, after all. The players will grumble, but all the way to the bank, right along with the owners.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
So players talk all offseason about how they are in the best shape of their lives, yet complain about playing a game on four days rest. It's not ideal, but it is more than enough time to recover from the previous game, especially with the ic baths,ntreatments, and care these athletes received. It also sets up a sort of mini bye week after the game, as they don't plaY again for 11 dayS.
[Image: Sig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Thursday night games are not going anywhere, the NFL makes too much money from the television contract. Part of that money goes into the pool that is used to pay the players, so they don't want it to go anywhere either. Yes it is a short week, but as others have pointed out, they do get an extra couple days rest after.
Reply/Quote
The good news is, it's equally crappy for both teams...and then they get 9 days "off."

As a fan, I dislike my team being absent on an NFL Sunday for having played Thursday. That sux.
Reply/Quote