Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Tier 3 QB
(09-11-2018, 05:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I know it's only 1 game and things will definitely change by Week 17, but I still find it funny (compared to the list in the OP) that the top 10 QBs in the league after week 1 (ranked by QB rating) are:
1 - Ryan Fitzpatrick
2 - Aaron Rodgers
3 - Drew Brees
4 - Patrick Mahomes
5 - Joe Flacco
6 - Alex Smith
7 - Sam Darnold
8 - Andy Dalton
9 - Phillip Rivers
10 - Tom Brad

I'd like to also point out Jimmy Garoppolo's stat line: 
15 comp 33 attempts 45.5% comp% 261 yards 1 TD 3 INT 45.1 QB rating.

What I find funny is some of the names in that tier 3:

T15. Kirk Cousins
T15. Alex Smith
T17. Eli Manning (he's not better than Andy in 2018...just stop)
T17. Dak Prescott (this dude was fool's gold...is it too late to call Romo back?)
19. Jared Goff
20. Jameis Winston (nothing about him is as good as Andy, on or off the field)
21. Marcus Mariota (13 TDs to 17 INTs since start of last year...blech)
22. Andy Dalton
T23. Joe Flacco (The "Dalton line" should've been named the "Flacco line". If your QB is worse than Flacco, you're in trouble)
T23. Case Keenum (just no)
25. Tyrod Taylor (no)
26. Blake Bortles (ugh)
27. Ryan Tannehill 
28. Sam Bradford

Dalton is simply way better than most of these guys. He looks more worthy of upper tier 2. Somewhere below Wentz around #11.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2018, 06:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Biggest talk in the NFL today is the just released QB tier ratings by ESPN, The list is compiled by 10 general managers, five head coaches, 10 coordinators, 10 senior personnel executives, five QB coaches and 10 others with job titles ranging from assistant coach to salary-cap manager to analytics director.

Our boy Andy comes in at #22, but hey; that's 10 spots higher than the QB we parted ways with.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/91gkze/espns_2018_nfl_qb_tiers_rankings/

Tier 1:

T1. Aaron Rodgers
T1. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Ben Roethlisberger

Tier 2:

5. Matt Ryan
6. Russell Wilson
7. Matthew Stafford
8. Philip Rivers
9. Carson Wentz
10. Andrew Luck
11. Cam Newton
12. Derek Carr
13. Jimmy Garoppolo
14. Deshaun Watson

Tier 3:

T15. Kirk Cousins
T15. Alex Smith
T17. Eli Manning
T17. Dak Prescott
19. Jared Goff
20. Jameis Winston
21. Marcus Mariota
22. Andy Dalton
T23. Joe Flacco
T23. Case Keenum
25. Tyrod Taylor
26. Blake Bortles
27. Ryan Tannehill
28. Sam Bradford

Tier 4:

29. Mitchell Trubisky
30. Josh McCown
31. Patrick Mahomes
32. AJ McCarron

This ranking of Patrick Mahomes hasn’t aged well...lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Jimmy Garoppolo in Tier 2? LOL okay.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This ranking of Patrick Mahomes hasn’t aged well...lol

The Watson/Garroppolo hype hasn't aged well either.

Neither of those guys look nearly as hot as last year. That's the danger of buying into guys after 5-6 games.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 10:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This ranking of Patrick Mahomes hasn’t aged well...lol

Well, to be fair, it's not like he's faced any good defenses so far. Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Just goes to show you how stupid most of these twerps are. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2018, 05:30 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I know it's only 1 game and things will definitely change by Week 17, but I still find it funny (compared to the list in the OP) that the top 10 QBs in the league after week 1 (ranked by QB rating) are:
1 - Ryan Fitzpatrick
2 - Aaron Rodgers
3 - Drew Brees
4 - Patrick Mahomes
5 - Joe Flacco
6 - Alex Smith
7 - Sam Darnold
8 - Andy Dalton
9 - Phillip Rivers
10 - Tom Brad

I'd like to also point out Jimmy Garoppolo's stat line: 
15 comp 33 attempts 45.5% comp% 261 yards 1 TD 3 INT 45.1 QB rating.

I'm not going to do this every week as I'm sure that eventually the list will start to get closer to what most of us expect it to be with only 2 or 3 surprises, but here are the top 10 QBs (ranked according to QB rating) after week 2:
1 - Ryan Fitzpatrick
2 - Patrick Mahomes (up from 4)
3 - Drew Brees
4 - Phillip Rivers (up from 9)
5 - Aaron Rodgers (down from 2)
6 - Kirk Cousins (up from out of the top 10)
7 - Andy Dalton (up from 8)
8 - Ryan Tannehill (up from out of the top 10)
9 - Tom Brady (up from 10)
10 - Jared Goff (up from out of the top 10)

All of these guys have a QB rating higher than 100. There is 1 more with a rating of 100 (Alex Smith) and 3 with ratings of over 90. 

BTW, Jimmy Garroppolo must've had a good week as he brought his rating up to 77. which puts him squarely at the 26th ranking.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 02:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm not going to do this every week as I'm sure that eventually the list will start to get closer to what most of us expect it to be with only 2 or 3 surprises, but here are the top 10 QBs (ranked according to QB rating) after week 2:
1 - Ryan Fitzpatrick
3 - Drew Brees

All of these guys have a QB rating higher than 100. There is 1 more with a rating of 100 (Alex Smith) and 3 with ratings of over 90. 

BTW, Jimmy Garroppolo must've had a good week as he brought his rating up to 77. which puts him squarely at the 26th ranking.

I appreciate you doing this.  I looked it up before you posted and saw that Dalton was 7th.  Yes it is only week 2, but does lend support to what I posted earlier, that my list is just as valid as the so called "experts" are, even if I am not a top dog in the NFL as the OP said this list came from.
Reply/Quote
Here are the rankings heading into today's games, based on total QBR

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick (let's hope he remains there after tomorrow night's game)
2. Patrick Mahomes
3. Drew Brees
4. Tom Brady (up from 9)
5. Blake Bortles (not in the top 10 last week)
6. Andy Dalton (up from 7)
7. Jared Goff (up from 10)
8. Phillip Rivers (down from 4)
9. Kirk Cousins (down from 6)
10. Andrew Luck (not in the top 10 last week)
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2018, 02:42 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'm not going to do this every week as I'm sure that eventually the list will start to get closer to what most of us expect it to be with only 2 or 3 surprises, but here are the top 10 QBs (ranked according to QB rating) after week 2:
1 - Ryan Fitzpatrick
3 - Drew Brees

Given the offensive explosiong that seemingly occurred over this weekend by multiple teams, I was curious as to how the list of top 10 QBs (sorted by QB rating) would look so here it is:
1 - Jared Goff
2 - Patrick Mahomes
3 - Drew Brees
4 - Ryan Fitzpatrick
5 - Matt Ryan
6 - Phillip Rivers
7 - Ryan Tannehill
8 - Kirk Cousins
9 - Alex Smith
10 - Mitchell Trubisky

All of the QBs out of the top 10 have less than a 100 rating.

Andy Dalton (96.0 QB rating BTW) is currently sitting in 15th, behind Flacco, Rodgers, Manning, and Newton.

I thought it only fair to point out that Jimmy Garropollo, while sitting in 24th (right behind Ben Roethlisberger), does have a QB rating of 90.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a PFF fan, but they have Dalton rated as "elite" this year. He's in the top 5 for them.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 10:51 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'm not a PFF fan, but they have Dalton rated as "elite" this year. He's in the top 5 for them.

Those INT's in the Carolina game hurt his passer rating, but we've all seen how he's been playing.

Top 5 according to PFF, but he certainly has to be in the top 10 based on his play.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2018, 10:51 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I'm not a PFF fan, but they have Dalton rated as "elite" this year. He's in the top 5 for them.

(10-04-2018, 09:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Those INT's in the Carolina game hurt his passer rating, but we've all seen how he's been playing.

Top 5 according to PFF, but he certainly has to be in the top 10 based on his play.

And Fitzpatrick is one of the guys ahead of him, who just got benched, and Dalton is clearly better than. If Dalton can keep this level of play up you’d have to think he could be back in the MVP talks along with Goff and Mahomes.

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 12:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Fitzpatrick is one of the guys ahead of him, who just got benched, and Dalton is clearly better than. If Dalton can keep this level of play up you’d have to think he could be back in the MVP talks along with Goff and Mahomes.

With 6 of the next 8 at home, it's tough to imagine a huge decline any time soon.

That said, our QB's (Dalton certainly included) have always struggled vs the Steelers, and we haven't played them yet.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 12:50 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And Fitzpatrick is one of the guys ahead of him, who just got benched, and Dalton is clearly better than. If Dalton can keep this level of play up you’d have to think he could be back in the MVP talks along with Goff and Mahomes.

(10-05-2018, 03:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: With 6 of the next 8 at home, it's tough to imagine a huge decline any time soon.

That said, our QB's (Dalton certainly included) have always struggled vs the Steelers, and we haven't played them yet.

Agreed on both accounts, but Goff and Mahomes would really have to fall off a cliff for anyone to supplant them.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 03:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed on both accounts, but Goff and Mahomes would really have to fall off a cliff for anyone to supplant them.

Yeah it's tough to play any better than those 2 have. Dalton is currently on pace for 4800 yards and 44 TDs though. If he kept up that pace (unlikely) and those 2 guys slowed down, I could see it...but honestly I think all of them will slow down off their current paces.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 04:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yeah it's tough to play any better than those 2 have. Dalton is currently on pace for 4800 yards and 44 TDs though. If he kept up that pace (unlikely) and those 2 guys slowed down, I could see it...but honestly I think all of them will slow down off their current paces.

I do too.  No question Andy is having a nice year so far.....and most seasons he may even be the runaway frontrunner this early in the season, but those two are playing out of their minds right now.  Maybe defenses figure out Mahomes, but Goff seems to just get better and better.  Of course, s stud oline and a plethora of weapons help him out, but he's making the throws and looking sharp.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 04:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: I do too.  No question Andy is having a nice year so far.....and most seasons he may even be the runaway frontrunner this early in the season, but those two are playing out of their minds right now.  Maybe defenses figure out Mahomes, but Goff seems to just get better and better.  Of course, s stud oline and a plethora of weapons help him out, but he's making the throws and looking sharp.

Amazing how Goff looked like a bust under Jeff Fisher. Now he looks like a future elite.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2018, 03:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: With 6 of the next 8 at home, it's tough to imagine a huge decline any time soon.

I hope the Bengals stay aggressive, because the Steelers defense is awful this year. I think they'll beat Atlanta tomorrow, but only because their defense is so banged up its unbelievable. 

We could really take it to the Steelers next week... hoping we do. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2018, 01:21 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Amazing how Goff looked like a bust under Jeff Fisher. Now he looks like a future elite.

Wasn't just the coach.  They rebuilt the O-line also.
Reply/Quote