Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tight Ends seems to be more involved
Seems like our TEs are becoming more involved under Browning, 17 catches last three games and yesterday 9 catches total for around 90 yards..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 11:19 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Seems like our TEs are becoming more involved under Browning, 17 catches last three games and yesterday 9 catches total for around 90 yards..

Yes as Jake is more TE friendly. Joe likes to push to the WR. Always even at LSU.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 12:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yes as Jake is more TE friendly. Joe likes to push to the WR. Always even at LSU.

Thad Moss had 47 receptions with Burrow in 2019. That was more than WR3 Terrace Marshall.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 12:26 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yes as Jake is more TE friendly. Joe likes to push to the WR. Always even at LSU.

3 tight ends caught passes yesterday
Reply/Quote
The TEs are getting more snaps. Sample has been their primary TE-Y, Wilcox is seeing decent amount of snaps as the H-Back in heavy packages, Hudson is playing the F receiver, and Irv Smith has been rotating in. Would be nice to find a TE that can play H and F.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 12:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 3 tight ends caught passes yesterday

Yes that’s correct. Again Joe likes to push it to the WR and Jake likes to throw to his TE. Always has back to UDUB days
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Thad Moss had 47 receptions with Burrow in 2019. That was more than WR3 Terrace Marshall.

That is also correct but he was in the slot

Reply/Quote
Reviving the first TE thread I could find for a couple reasons:
1) Hudson's production as a solid receiving TE - 37 receptions (48 tgts) for 341 yards in just 11 games. Had he been in the role all year, he would be projected ~525 yards, which would put him right around 15-20 among TEs.

2) The production for all the TEs since Hudson came back Nov 5:
Hudson - 33 rec, 293 yards
Sample - 17 rec, 146 yards
Smith - 8 rec, 63 yards
Wilcox - 6 rec, 46 yards
-----------------------------
Total - 64 rec, 548 yards the past 9 games

Compare that to just 20 rec for 120 yards in the first 7 games of the season.

Yes, TEs were getting (way) more involved since start of November, and Hudson was leading the charge in that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We've been hungry for TE production for more than two decades now....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 12:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yes that’s correct. Again Joe likes to push it to the WR and Jake likes to throw to his TE. Always has back to UDUB days

Joe throws underneath plenty. I'd argue he goes underneath too much and too quick. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2023, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Thad Moss had 47 receptions with Burrow in 2019. That was more than WR3 Terrace Marshall.

That’s correct but Moss lined up as a slot a ton

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 03:41 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Joe throws underneath plenty. I'd argue he goes underneath too much and too quick. 

Yep mostly discussing his TE usage

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 03:51 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Yep mostly discussing his TE usage

I think his TE usage is largely directly related to how good his TEs are, even more so compared to other potential targets on the offense.

Hurst had the 15th most targets among TEs last year in just 13 games. He had 17 targets in the 3 playoff games.
Uzomah had the 20th most targets among TEs in 2021. He had 14 targets in the first two playoff games before hurting his knee.

Without Tee and Boyd, expect TEs to get a whole lot more work in 2024 so long as they add a semi-competent starting TE.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 05:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think his TE usage is largely directly related to how good his TEs are, even more so compared to other potential targets on the offense.

Hurst had the 15th most targets among TEs last year in just 13 games. He had 17 targets in the 3 playoff games.
Uzomah had the 20th most targets among TEs in 2021. He had 14 targets in the first two playoff games before hurting his knee.

Without Tee and Boyd, expect TEs to get a whole lot more work in 2024 so long as they add a semi-competent starting TE.

I think that’s very valid but that is also likely the offense in general. Probably both. But it’s pretty obvious Joe is partial to Tee and Chase.

Reply/Quote
They've schemed and involved the TE more of late out of necessity. Between Tee being consistently hurt, Boyd disappearing, and Chase being our only real WR weapon battling a bum shoulder, those targets gotta go to someone! I'm glad the guys we have at TE have made the most of it for the most part. I've been semi impressed with ole Two-Left-Feet Sample of late. He's a battler, hope he comes back next year. Hudson as well. I'm meh on Wilcox and "don't -let-the-door-hit-ya- on-the-way-out" on Smith.

We need a TE1. Uzo and Hurst did just fine there. Proof they aren't ignored by Burrow. Proof they can be weapons in this offense. Hopefully this staff sees the importance of, at minimum, being ABLE to run 12 personnel out there and know what the hell to do with it. It makes us much less predictable. There's no rule saying we can't run some shotgun out of two TE sets either. Get creative with it.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 05:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I think his TE usage is largely directly related to how good his TEs are, even more so compared to other potential targets on the offense.

I like to see more usage down the field with TEs and a bit more speed, Hurst was nice as a safe outlet but horrible in YAC.. ranked near the bottom of starting TEs last year. I was impressed with Hudson and felt he gave us good upside in YAC
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 07:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I like to see more usage down the field with TEs and a bit more speed, Hurst was nice as a safe outlet but horrible in YAC.. ranked near the bottom of starting TEs last year. I was impressed with Hudson and felt he gave us good upside in YAC
That was my only sort of gripe on Hurst was his YAC. But he had dependable hands and understood coverages and where to be.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 07:39 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: That was my only sort of gripe on Hurst was his YAC. But he had dependable hands and understood coverages and where to be.

Agree, but I see Hudson as an upgrade with what we got to see of him later in year and being younger and faster. I did not know he started out as a QB in College which helps him with understanding college i believe too.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 03:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: We've been hungry for TE production for more than two decades now....

I never knew Eifert played in the 90s...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2024, 08:36 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I never knew Eifert played in the 90s...
Don't forget about Gresham too!
Reply/Quote