Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Mike may gauge team/player success by comparing to the bottom, not the Top
(01-29-2018, 02:52 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Bengals are far off from winning a playoff game, making AFC championship or winning a Super Bowl.

They will not win 7 games next year.

We won 7 games this past season if you fix the o line this team is a contender.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It was also annoying to come here and see so many posts about how the Bengals were the worst team in the league when they were making the playoffs five years in a row.

Some Bengals fans put way too much value on their victim cards.  They love to whimper and moan so much that they refuse to acknowledge when the Bengals actually do something good.  It is almost like they are happier when the team fails because they get to brag about being right.

I don't think the Bengals were the worst team in the league.  But they have had one of the worst owners in any professional sport, besides Donald Sterling.  (Yes I am a Clipper's fan so show mercy on my soul).  I think having such an owner distorts perceptions around here.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yup.....pretty much the reason message boards exist.....to discuss.

Agreed.....getting tired of it.  My best friend since grade school, a lifelong fan, has checked out.  He's not even watching until SoP is gone....picking another team too.  I haven't taken it that far, but I'll not be buying any merch/tix, and if there is something better to do or watch, I won't be watching either.

Same boat I am in. I will never check out, but I haven't and won't spend another $ on the team stuff. I used to go to lounge at the local golf course and watch our games because they had the Sunday ticket, but I don't even do that anymore. I glance at it before I give a lesson, which on Sunday isn't to often. I generally watch the RedZone with Mrs. Wedge.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 12:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd say Mike Brown is the worst owner in the league, but I don't think he does not want to win.  The team is the only thing his family has.  I am sure he wants it to be a success.  The problem is that he just does not know how.  His conservative approach to free agency actually makes sense if you are always just looking at the "long run", but when you get a team that is close to competing for a championship you have to take a chance or two in free agency.  

Marvin Lewis is a good coach who has been handicapped by coaching for Mike Brown.

And fans that think ANY owner/GM/coach should listen to what the fans want are clueless.  The ones here who get their panties in a wad because the Bengals never "listen to the fans" would be whimpering no matter which team the rooted for.

I agree with pretty much everything you said and have said some similar things myself.  
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 10:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Violin

This for all those poor souls who were banned from bengals.com for being too negative.  like...... like......

I said "punished or discouraged", not necessarily banned. People here remember how Denny treated negative posters.

(01-30-2018, 10:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what you are saying.

I have no problem with fans who criticize the team, but if you want i can pull up several posts that are nothing but squealing about how Marvin is the worst coach in the league and Mike is the worst owner in the league.

Neither side gets a pass for being too extreme.  And i don't think Mike Brown has ever said that missing the playoffs is "acceptable".  He made those comments after playoff seasons.

He said "our record over the last 6 seasons is not unacceptable" after a 4-12 season. The Bengals had a losing record in the 6 seasons he was referring to, missing the playoffs 4 times. That quote was bad enough.

(01-30-2018, 12:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I'd say Mike Brown is the worst owner in the league, but I don't think he does not want to win.  The team is the only thing his family has.  I am sure he wants it to be a success.  The problem is that he just does not know how.  His conservative approach to free agency actually makes sense if you are always just looking at the "long run", but when you get a team that is close to competing for a championship you have to take a chance or two in free agency.  

Marvin Lewis is a good coach who has been handicapped by coaching for Mike Brown.

And fans that think ANY owner/GM/coach should listen to what the fans want are clueless.  The ones here who get their panties in a wad because the Bengals never "listen to the fans" would be whimpering no matter which team the rooted for.

That's an awful lot of whining and squealing.  Mellow

Seriously though, I agree with much of what you say, just not sure why it's okay for you to say such things but not others. It doesn't look like you disagree much with the "whiners". Your opinions here look awfully close to the majority of the folks you rail against. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:49 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We won 7 games this past season if you fix the o line this team is a contender.

Both Wild Card teams were 9 and 7 in the AFC in 2017. (Titans/Bills)

Bengals only 2 wins behind them with a win over the Bills.

The Front Office will have a so called PLAN this offseason and we will all get to see how that offseason Plan unfolds.

It really shouldn't take much to possibly Bump this team's win total up 2 to 3 games in 2018.

Making a few Bonafide moves to address obvious Roster issues can give this team a chance, as you imply.

Being at the "5 straight Playoff appearance team quality level" again in 2018 is not that far off, if solid moves are made.

This is about as high as my 2018 hopes get, however, with hopefully another Playoff game to watch with fingers crossed.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:49 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: We won 7 games this past season if you fix the o line this team is a contender.

Maybe to make the playoffs, but not to contend for a championship or even conference championship.
I think the Bengals need a LB and receiver as well to be in discussion for AFC championship.
Obviously, the Bengals did address receiver last year with Ross and Malone, but there needs to be better production/health from WR and TE to take heat off AJ.
Improving LB should make the entire defense better.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote