Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Tim McGee's great idea
(04-15-2021, 05:25 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Just because someone played in the nfl doesn’t mean they are great talent evaluators. Even if they are it seems like all of these guys are acting like the only pick in the draft the Bengals have is pick 5.

The bengals need O line help. That is clear. The bengals also need WR help. This is also clear. The bengals have two of the first 38 picks and should be able to get a player to help in year one at both spots with those two picks.

I would love to see the Bengals really commit to fixing this line that we’ve been complaining about for years. I’d love Sewell. I love a lot of the round 2 OL as well though.

I’d love Chase. I like but don’t love a few 2nd round WR prospects that may or may not make it to 38. IMO the drop off from Sewell to round 2 OL is noticeably less than Chase vs round 2 WR.

If you look at the player pool I think it’s a much safer bet to plan on getting a starting caliber OL in round 2 than an impact WR. Sewell or Chase? Either is a huge help. It could without a doubt be better for the franchise to pick Chase an a very good OL in 2 than Sewell and whatever WR is left in round 2.

People acting like it’s Sewell or the end of the world are going way overboard. I’ll be sitting back enjoying the Bengals getting a great player regardless of which guy they pick (as long as they don’t do something that would actually be devastating like take a 4th round talent or Kicker at 5 or 38).

And if you guys are so worried about what past players think shouldn’t you also worry about what current players think? Like Joe Burrow perhaps? He’s the only person in the world who knows what it’s like to throw to Chase and also what it’s like to play behind this pathetic OL. I’ve seen rumors he wants Chase. If former players that haven’t played in decades or never followed this team’s opinions matter than I’d have to assume the current QB’s opinion matters at least as much right?

This.

And the team can push back on the Burrow wanting Chase stuff all they want, but does anyone in their right mind actually believe they’re not placing at least some stock into who their young franchise QB wants with our top pick? It was clear from day one this was Joe Burrow’s team (rookie captain anyone?), and it’s been driven home even more so now with all the vets being shipped out. I don’t believe for a second that if Burrow wants the top OL in this draft that he wouldn’t get it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 05:25 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Just because someone played in the nfl doesn’t mean they are great talent evaluators. Even if they are it seems like all of these guys are acting like the only pick in the draft the Bengals have is pick 5.

The bengals need O line help. That is clear. The bengals also need WR help. This is also clear. The bengals have two of the first 38 picks and should be able to get a player to help in year one at both spots with those two picks.

I would love to see the Bengals really commit to fixing this line that we’ve been complaining about for years. I’d love Sewell. I love a lot of the round 2 OL as well though.

I’d love Chase. I like but don’t love a few 2nd round WR prospects that may or may not make it to 38. IMO the drop off from Sewell to round 2 OL is noticeably less than Chase vs round 2 WR.

If you look at the player pool I think it’s a much safer bet to plan on getting a starting caliber OL in round 2 than an impact WR. Sewell or Chase? Either is a huge help. It could without a doubt be better for the franchise to pick Chase an a very good OL in 2 than Sewell and whatever WR is left in round 2.

People acting like it’s Sewell or the end of the world are going way overboard. I’ll be sitting back enjoying the Bengals getting a great player regardless of which guy they pick (as long as they don’t do something that would actually be devastating like take a 4th round talent or Kicker at 5 or 38).

And if you guys are so worried about what past players think shouldn’t you also worry about what current players think? Like Joe Burrow perhaps? He’s the only person in the world who knows what it’s like to throw to Chase and also what it’s like to play behind this pathetic OL. I’ve seen rumors he wants Chase. If former players that haven’t played in decades or never followed this team’s opinions matter than I’d have to assume the current QB’s opinion matters at least as much right?

PervertClapping
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 07:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

And the team can push back on the Burrow wanting Chase stuff all they want, but does anyone in their right mind actually believe they’re not placing at least some stock into who their young franchise QB wants with our top pick? 

Over the last 9 years the Seahawks have won a Super Bowl, 2 NFC Championships, and 9 postseason games.  So I would consider them "in their right mind".

They have a 32 year old QB with a Hall-of fame resume, and you know what they tell him?  "Players play and the front office makes the personnel decisions."

No team in their right mind would let a 24 year old kid who has only won 2 NFL games decide who they draft.  They might very well draft Chase, but it better not be because Burrow told them to.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 9 years the Seahawks have won a Super Bowl, 2 NFC Championships, and 9 postseason games.  So I would consider them "in their right mind".

They have a 32 year old QB with a Hall-of fame resume, and you know what they tell him?  "Players play and the front office makes the personnel decisions."

No team in their right mind would let a 24 year old kid who has only won 2 NFL games decide who they draft.  They might very well draft Chase, but it better not be because Burrow told them to.

Hey that guy who owns the Browns listened to a homeless guy about picking Johnny Fartball so who knows.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Over the last 9 years the Seahawks have won a Super Bowl, 2 NFC Championships, and 9 postseason games.  So I would consider them "in their right mind".

[Image: giphy.gif]

Some of the stuff I see on this site posted about Joe Burrow is pretty unbelievable.  The idea that he's giving the front office his wants and needs is near the top of that list.
Reply/Quote

It’s not about him “telling them to.” It’s about valuing his opinion.

And maybe Seattle should have cared a little more about what Wilson wanted. I’m not sure a QB with a bunch of trade rumors swirling around him is the best example here.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s not about him “telling them to.” It’s about valuing his opinion.

Burrow has the makings of a great QB.

But the opinion of a 24 year old kid who has won 2 NFL games does not have a lot of value.
Reply/Quote
I have been re-watching some of the 2020 Bengals games.
Really slowing it down to watch to critique players.

One thing that scared me was how quick Garrets first step is.
He blew by Jonah Williams twice. Once resulted in a strip sack.

I really like Jonah Williams and he played well for a lot of the snaps.
I am not sure he can handle these speed rushers consistently.

Do you think he gets better at handling speed rush as years go by?

Would he be better at RT or G

Can Peneii Sewell handle the speed rush?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

Some of the stuff I see on this site posted about Joe Burrow is pretty unbelievable.  The idea that he's giving the front office his wants and needs is near the top of that list.

It’s a little different within the context of this particular situation though. If Burrow has told Taylor and the FO I think I can take this offense to the next level if I have Chase again. Compared to him just preferring another random prospect who he has no experience with. I don’t know why in the world anyone would want to overlook an already established QB/WR connection. We’re not talking about him banging the drum for some DT he’s friends with here.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And maybe Seattle should have cared a little more about what Wilson wanted. I’m not sure a QB with a bunch of trade rumors swirling around him is the best example here.

Maybe the front office of one of the most successful teams in the league over the last decade knows a little bit more about it than you.
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Burrow has the makings of a great QB.

But the opinion of a 24 year old kid who has won 2 NFL games does not have a lot of value.

Maybe it should considering how badly we’ve been drafting in recent years. But hey, the “experts” know what they’re doing. That’s how we get studs like Drew Sample in the 2nd round.

Also who cares how many games he’s won? Is that really relevant here? Is he or isn’t he the future of this franchise? Would his opinion be more valuable if he had stayed healthy and went on a terror at the end of the season and won OROY?

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s a little different within the context of this particular situation though. If Burrow has told Taylor and the FO I think I can take this offense to the next level if I have Chase again. Compared to him just preferring another random prospect who he has no experience with. I don’t know why in the world anyone would want to overlook an already established QB/WR connection. We’re not talking about him banging the drum for some DT he’s friends with here.

What if Joe says "Let's go 5 wide and throw the ball 50 times a game because I am good enough to win games like that."

Should they do that also?

If Burrow was to suffer a career ending injury this year how many teams would hire him as their GM or coach?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe the front office of one of the most successful teams in the league over the last decade knows a little bit more about it than you.

I’m sure they do. Doesn’t make everything they’ve done, and every approach they take above questioning.

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What if Joe says "Let's go 5 wide and throw the ball 50 times a game because I am good enough to win games like that."

Should they do that also?

If Burrow was to suffer a career ending injury this year how many teams would hire him as their GM or coach?

How many would hire Tobin or Taylor?

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Also who cares how many games he’s won? 

If you want a GM who knows how to win on the NFL level then I think a GM candidate should have some experience in winning games on the NFL level. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: How many would hire Tobin or Taylor?

Tobin had some success while being handicapped by the worst ownership in the league.  Some teams might be interested.

Now answer my question about Burrow.  Would any team hire him as their GM?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:33 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Do you think he gets better at handling speed rush as years go by?

Were you a Bengal fan in '06?  Remember Whitworth as a rookie matched up against Dwight Freeney?
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you want a GM who knows how to win on the NFL level then I think a GM candidate should have some experience in winning games on the NFL level. 

Why are we calling him a de facto GM for giving his input on one single draft pick? Do you think every GM in the league makes these choices without other people’s help?

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2021, 08:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tobin had some success while being handicapped by the worst ownership in the league.  Some teams might be interested.

Now answer my question about Burrow.  Would any team hire him as their GM?

Ofc not, and I’m not advocating letting him make all our picks. I think his input on one of them (due to what he did with Chase) is valuable though.

Reply/Quote
I find it interesting how many former Bengals at skill positions are advocating for Sewell.

That said, there will be quality tackles available in the second round if we choose to go with Chase.
Reply/Quote