Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Time for TE Gentry?
One of the great all time road wins in recent memory yesterday..and seeing our" Alien" QB is back at 100%...however we cannot igore this glaring need for a competent TE on this roster! Sample drops another pass tripping over himself and Irv? well we know the deal. Seeing Kittle kill us just rubs salt in wound as well.
As we know, they arent making any trades so I say lets pull that Steeler TE Gentry off practice squad and see what we have
It cant get much worse can it?
Reply/Quote
I don't care whether it's Gentry, Hudson, or a trade but I definitely am not happy with the current TEs on the active roster.
Although if they move on from anyone, it'd probably be Wilcox because he's TE3 on the roster.
They'll keep Sample for his blocking and probably give Smith more opportunities to be a contributor, although he's been the biggest frustration of the group so far.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Smith fumble was bad. But, that doesn't mean that he's not better than Gentry.

Guys fumble. It was just a very bad and costly time.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 11:00 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Smith fumble was bad. But, that doesn't mean that he's not better than Gentry.

Guys fumble. It was just a very bad and costly time.

At this point, I'm willing to see the team take a chance on an unknown.  In 5 starts, Smith has 57 yards on 10 catches, 1 1st down, 1 fumble and a couple of drops.  Quite literally, nothing good seems to happen when they throw the ball his direction.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Bengals got a much needed win against a team a lot penciled in as a loss.

I now want the Bengals to make a trade to go for it all... there is no excuse now not to throw some extra chips in.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Irv will be ok we got one ball to go around to a lot of really good players. He will get 5 or so targets a game no reason to go get someone new to the team and try to force them into the starting lineup when we just played our best game of the year.

We got Hudson as well if needed.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 11:07 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At this point, I'm willing to see the team take a chance on an unknown.  In 5 starts, Smith has 57 yards on 10 catches, 1 1st down, 1 fumble and a couple of drops.  Quite literally, nothing good seems to happen when they throw the ball his direction.  Mellow

At least Dan Coates could block. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 11:09 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Bengals got a much needed win against a team a lot penciled in as a loss.

I now want the Bengals to make a trade to go for it all... there is no excuse now not to throw some extra chips in.

I would probably trade for defense and try Gentry out.  I am not sure the TE would be as benificail as a competent safety. 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 11:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't care whether it's Gentry, Hudson, or a trade but I definitely am not happy with the current TEs on the active roster.
Although if they move on from anyone, it'd probably be Wilcox because he's TE3 on the roster.
They'll keep Sample for his blocking and probably give Smith more opportunities to be a contributor, although he's been the biggest frustration of the group so far.

They’ll give Irv a lot more chances. He’ll sink or swim. I get it as he’s been a disappointment but that was a tough play and 1 play Zac & Brian won’t let it define him.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 11:32 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They’ll give Irv a lot more chances. He’ll sink or swim. I get it as he’s been a disappointment but that was a tough play and 1 play Zac & Brian won’t let it define him.

I'm not talking about just that one play. He's been bad through his 5 games.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 12:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not talking about just that one play. He's been bad through his 5 games.

Smith has been disappointing, to be sure. He does not strike me as a particularly good runner after the catch. He is not powerful, elusive, nor does he show particularly good vision. Which makes that play call all the more puzzling. 

Anyway, fumble aside, he had 4 catches for 25. His BEST game of the year. Baby steps. 

Tanner Hudson mor Gentry are not gonna magically solve our TE problems. But the passing game generally has been awful while Burrow was hurt. I think we are see how things progress with healthy Joe and healthier Tee. Charlie Jones could come off IR this week. We have won 3 straight. 

Unless some team is essentially waiving the flag and willing to let a good vet who is gonna leave anyway next year go for essentially nothing (a 7th?), I think we stand pat. That trade could be out there. Gesicki from NE. Heck, I'd call the Texans on Dalton Schultz right now, but that will take more than a 7th. He's under contract for next year for VERY reasonable ($3.375 mil). A fifth? We have an extra comp pick incoming in the 5th & 7th..
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 12:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm not talking about just that one play. He's been bad through his 5 games.

Of course not. But my point is they aren’t going to make it defining as they’ve given up. Of course he’s not produced but he missed a few games. I doubt they met this morning and said we are done with Irv. Let’s go find someone. I think this board is a little quicker to move on everything than all staffs lol
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Of course not. But my point is they aren’t going to make it defining as they given up. Of course he’s not produced but he missed a few games. I doubt they met this morning and said we are done with Irv. Let’s go find someone. I think this board is a little quicker to move on everything than all staffs lol

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 12:25 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Smith has been disappointing, to be sure. He does not strike me as a particularly good runner after the catch. He is not powerful, elusive, nor does he show particularly good vision. Which makes that play call all the more puzzling. 

Anyway, fumble aside, he had 4 catches for 25. His BEST game of the year. Baby steps. 

Tanner Hudson mor Gentry are not gonna magically solve our TE problems. But the passing game generally has been awful while Burrow was hurt. I think we are see how things progress with healthy Joe and healthier Tee. Charlie Jones could come off IR this week. We have won 3 straight. 

Unless some team is essentially waiving the flag and willing to let a good vet who is gonna leave anyway next year go for essentially nothing (a 7th?), I think we stand pat. That trade could be out there. Gesicki from NE. Heck, I'd call the Texans on Dalton Schultz right now, but that will take more than a 7th. He's under contract for next year for VERY reasonable ($3.375 mil). A fifth? We have an extra comp pick incoming in the 5th & 7th..

Gisecki is and has been my choice if we look to trade for a TE. Folks were saying Waller, and I said he's giving me Eifert vibes. Low and behold, one week later, he goes out injured against the Jets.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Hunter Henry?
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
Maybe next year, after we don't spend any draft capital on a TE (again), they'll take out an ad on Craigslist for an open try-out. Disney will pick up the story and make a nice, wholesome, family movie about it. Starring Mark Wahlberg!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 12:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Of course not. But my point is they aren’t going to make it defining as they’ve given up. Of course he’s not produced but he missed a few games. I doubt they met this morning and said we are done with Irv. Let’s go find someone. I think this board is a little quicker to move on everything than all staffs lol

It's easy for (some of) us to move on when we weren't fans of the signing in the first place.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 01:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's easy for (some of) us to move on when we weren't fans of the signing in the first place.

Sure and I didn’t like his injury history.

Reply/Quote
Irv Smith has done nothing to help the team this year. He drops passes, he fumbles, he looks slow when running with the ball. I wouldnt be disappointed if they cut him at this point. Im not sure giving up draft picks for a one year rental on a mediocre TE from another team is the answer. We arent getting anyone elite. I think the best option at this point is to bring Hudson on the active roster and see what he can do with a healthy Burrow. He looks to be the best receiving TE we have. Irv Smith just isnt getting the job done.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2023, 12:31 PM)SladeX Wrote: Hunter Henry?

This is my hope, better than Gentry and Gesicki. Why not put all our chips in for a SB win?
Reply/Quote