Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Time to face the facts, Zac Taylor is not a good head coach
Is ZT a good coach? No.

Do I long for the days of Marvin and wish he were still the coach? H*ll No.

You make it sound like those are the only 2 options. It appears the Bengals got it completely wrong but at least they finally made a move. It will be interesting to see how long they stick with ZT if he sticks on the current horrendous path.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2019, 07:05 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: The we have no Talent is BS. DLine above average at every position. Boyd is a borderline WR1 Hopkins Top 5 C. Secondary before getting decimated by injuries was ok. Top 10 punter.

The defensive line hasn’t been even average since 2015. I respect and admire Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap but it’s time to move on. Those guys don’t have that first step anymore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2019, 10:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Good Lord,

Give me ONE head coach that could do anything with this O-line.  

I really feel bad for the front office as they did a good (not great) job addressing this in the offseason.  The following line would have been pretty good if not for the injuries and retirements:

Jonah
Boling
Hopkins
Miller
Glenn

That being said, I'm actually thrilled that we are in the position we are in.  Dalton can be cut with no penalty and this is a great (not good) QB draft.

Any of the following guys would be significant upgrades:  Burrow, Eason, Herbert, Tua.

It's also a pretty deep OT draft.  We could easily get two legitimate top tier NFL starters if we play our cards right.

I thought Zac would come in and play to the strength of Andy.. he talked alot about up tempo, play fast.. we did not do it very much and outside of going on some 4th downs  etc.. I thought we were seeing last years offense.. not very creative  first 8 games
Reply/Quote
Not sure if he's a good head coach or not yet, but he's a terrible oc. Might be a good head coach if he would do his job and let the OC do his.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 10:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny you count Ross as a WR 2...when Boyd clearly is. Also when you say Center is benched...Hopkins has actually played well at C. That Center who is benched that you count as a loss actually starts at Guard and is terrible.

Do you even watch the games? Because calling Ross the #2 is laughable.

And last time I checked, Marvin won what 6 games last year with Dalton, Boyd, AND Green injured at points.

Exactly Marvin is a million times better than Zac. I miss Marvin
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 02:11 AM)Trademark Wrote: Exactly Marvin is a million times better than Zac. I miss Marvin

Marvin certainly may be a better overall coach.

He should be.  

Even when he first took the job he was more experienced.

NFL people and media thought he was overdue for a chance at the time.

I do not miss his in game coaching decisions one bit.

I sure as hell don't think Zac is better at that either from this point.

The one thing that concerns me is realizing how hamstrung Lewis was with Brown and was able to get him to budge slightly for change.

I've said this from the very moment they hired Taylor that he'll bend over more than Marvin ever did just to stay Head Coach here...  and I'm sticking to that notion.

The only thing we could hope for besides some miraculous turn around from Zac is a big "I told you so" from Mike Brown to Blackburn/Tobin with a swift firing of ZT.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
They were talking about new Head Coaches on Sirius radio yesterday. According to them, it takes 3-5 years to tell if a new Head Coach will be good or not, and that if an organization does not intend to give him that long, almost all will fail. Of course, here on this board, we can make that determination in 8 games..... Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
In that first game against the Seattle Seahawks, the Bengals’ coaching staff looked very good. Unfortunately, what we did not know was that they threw everything including the kitchen sink at the Seattle Seahawks. There are no new plays left to call.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 10:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They were talking about new Head Coaches on Sirius radio yesterday. According to them, it takes 3-5 years to tell if a new Head Coach will be good or not, and that if an organization does not intend to give him that long, almost all will fail. Of course, here on this board, we can make that determination in 8 games..... Hilarious  Hilarious  Hilarious

Well...when you're 0-8...and basically EVERY player on the roster has regressed...it's kind of easy to tell.

When a coach calls for a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 10...it's easy to tell.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 07:13 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Marvin certainly may be a better overall coach.

He should be.  

Even when he first took the job he was more experienced.

NFL people and media thought he was overdue for a chance at the time.

I do not miss his in game coaching decisions one bit.

Me either !

Marvin was a good HC in a lot of ways. His failure was "in game" coaching. Being to conservative, time outs, being prepared for crunch time management, adapting to what the opposition was doing and so on.

Was ZT the right decision ? I just don't know. Moving on from Marvin ? 1,000% had to happen.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 11:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...when you're 0-8...and basically EVERY player on the roster has regressed...it's kind of easy to tell.

When a coach calls for a 2 yard pass on 3rd and 10...it's easy to tell.

That's a pessimistic way to look at it. An optimistic way to look at it would be to say while we are 8-8, the vast majority of those games were lost by one score, with a 1st time HC and an all new coaching staff and without his best player. If we were blown out in all 8 games, then that would be one thing. He's learning. I'm going to give him some time before I label him a bust. 
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2019, 10:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They were talking about new Head Coaches on Sirius radio yesterday. According to them, it takes 3-5 years to tell if a new Head Coach will be good or not, and that if an organization does not intend to give him that long, almost all will fail. Of course, here on this board, we can make that determination in 8 games..... Hilarious  Hilarious  Hilarious

Good point, and if the fans think some established head coach is going to want to work for the Brown family they are very mistaken. Think about how hand cuffed Zac was starting day one. Top of the list the Brown family, the lack of investment in scouting, no GM to act as a buffer between him and MB, a aging crappy roster that only won two of their last eleven games.  They even pine for Mr. Giggles back. Zac may never work out but guess what, we won't be doing the same crap for the next 16 years.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 08:55 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's a pessimistic way to look at it. An optimistic way to look at it would be to say while we are 8-8, the vast majority of those games were lost by one score, with a 1st time HC and an all new coaching staff and without his best player. If we were blown out in all 8 games, then that would be one thing. He's learning. I'm going to give him some time before I label him a bust. 

There's absolutely no evidence that he's learning. His playcalling is horrible.

We have a historically bad running game and run defense game.

There are very few positives.

The best I can give is IF we had a good coach, we'd likely have 3 wins now.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 11:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The best I can give is IF we had a good coach, we'd likely have 3 wins now.

That is the difference between the pro and anti Zac posters. The pro fans think that even if we don't succeed right now maybe just maybe we emerge from the darkness with a better team. The anti Zac guys are like we should have just kept Marv at least he gave us six wins last year. Guess what 6-10 is as bad as 0-16 because you still are losers. Marvin beat the teams who were worse than the Bengals but seldom over 16 seasons did he beat good teams. So that means Zac actually has some upside ,as he gets experience he may improve. Can any of you actually say Marv had improved?
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2019, 11:13 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There's absolutely no evidence that he's learning. His playcalling is horrible.

We have a historically bad running game and run defense game.

There are very few positives.

The best I can give is IF we had a good coach, we'd likely have 3 wins now.

You can look at it pessimistically all day long. The thread asked if there was any positivity left. The fact Taylor is losing, but mostly is in every game within 1 score at the end, and doing this with no AJ and the entire left side of what he thought was going to be his oline missing, leaves me some room to be positive. Yes, the running game sucks and needs to be fixed. The defense is keeping us in games, even though they are mostly gassed from being on the field too much. If you ask me, next year is when we can start telling if Taylor is going to be worth anything. Half a season is just not enough time to see. What I do not see, with this 0-8 season, is the locker room turning on each other, placing blame on each other, players whining about wanting out. Taylor has set a good culture with this team, and I suspect wins are right around the corner. We get Williams back next year, plus some new draft picks on the line, then I will make a decision.
Reply/Quote
Finley gets the win, no more excuses for Dalton and the ZT hate stops.
Reply/Quote