Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to give the defense some love
(11-30-2015, 03:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Peko only played about a third of the defensive snaps Sunday. (25 of 73).  He has been consistently playing about half of the defense snaps per game this year.  I think that has made a difference in his play.

was it thompson or Simms taking his extra snaps?
Reply/Quote
As good as the defense has been, it's painful to watch the DL when Geno and Dunlap are on rests. Teams just march the ball on us and then we are essentially begging our LBs or DBs to make every play.
Reply/Quote
Oh and how about Chris Carter?!? He's seriously our best reserve DL (I don't count Wallace here because he sees almost as many reps as starters).
Feels like he should have been getting these chances earlier in the year.
Reply/Quote
They are playing great. It's going to be an ugly drop off at the end of this season. Needs to be a D heavy draft, specifically at defensive back, what with Nelson, Hall and Adam Jones out of contract and getting a little long in the tooth. I would not be against taking an early cornerback again.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 03:57 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: They are playing great. It's going to be an ugly drop off at the end of this season. Needs to be a D heavy draft, specifically at defensive back, what with Nelson, Hall and Adam Jones out of contract and getting a little long in the tooth. I would not be against taking an early cornerback again.

Between Shawn Williams and Derron Smith, I wouldn't be surprised if they get some chances at S before we invest a high pick in one unless we just fall in love with a guy come April.

As for CB...Josh Shaw is showing why he was once such a highly touted player. He's looked very steady out there. I don't think it will be as dire as some think.

Personally, I would like us to focus on the DL. Edge rushers and youth inside. 
We have invested a fair amount on the DL in the draft and come away with next to nothing. We need to add a premium talent there so it isn't all revolving around Geno and Carlos. 
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 03:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: was it thompson or Simms taking his extra snaps?

Thompson and Gilberry.

Simms was not active.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 04:02 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Between Shawn Williams and Derron Smith, I wouldn't be surprised if they get some chances at S before we invest a high pick in one unless we just fall in love with a guy come April.

As for CB...Josh Shaw is showing why he was once such a highly touted player. He's looked very steady out there. I don't think it will be as dire as some think.

Personally, I would like us to focus on the DL. Edge rushers and youth inside. 
We have invested a fair amount on the DL in the draft and come away with next to nothing. We need to add a premium talent there so it isn't all revolving around Geno and Carlos. 

Sure don't get me wrong, I am by no means giving up on the rookies and young DBs we have already on the roster. However let's not forget that Dennard is now out for the year and will enter next season potentially as a starter with limited experience. The talent could well be there and I agree with Shaw looking decent in what we have seen of him. There is no shying away from the fact though, that a lineup without potentially both Jones and Hall would be lacking in a lot of experience. I wouldn't describe the situation as dire, but it would cause this team a lot of trouble. 

I agree about the DL and next years draft seems to have a lot of talent at that position declaring. A premier NT to replace Peko would be fantastic.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 05:16 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: Sure don't get me wrong, I am by no means giving up on the rookies and young DBs we have already on the roster. However let's not forget that Dennard is now out for the year and will enter next season potentially as a starter with limited experience. The talent could well be there and I agree with Shaw looking decent in what we have seen of him. There is no shying away from the fact though, that a lineup without potentially both Jones and Hall would be lacking in a lot of experience. I wouldn't describe the situation as dire, but it would cause this team a lot of trouble. 

I agree about the DL and next years draft seems to have a lot of talent at that position declaring. A premier NT to replace Peko would be fantastic.

I think Jones and/or Hall will be back. Hall, significantly cheaper and Jones on a one year deal.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 05:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think Jones and/or Hall will be back. Hall, significantly cheaper and Jones on a one year deal.

I think at least one will also. Neither will be as good as they are this year though. I sort of want FO to treat the draft and FA as if neither are coming back.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 03:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He has been one of the most underrated Bengals over the last few years.  Very solid tackler.  Good in coverage.  Fantastic athlete.  Former first round pick who never played up to his potential until he came here, but he is a key to our defense.

Iloka is underrated also.  We have one of the best safety duos in the league.  I don't know a lot of other safeties off the top of my head, but I can't think of a better tandem.

Nelson didn't really get to play up to his potential in Jacksonville. He looked good his rookie year playing FS, but then they started moving him all over the place and not let him get acclimated to playing one spot. He played both safety spots, outside corner, and the slot. They started having him play more corner than safety towards the end of his run.

We stuck him at safety and he's one of our best defenders.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 06:03 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: I think at least one will also. Neither will be as good as they are this year though. I sort of want FO to treat the draft and FA as if neither are coming back.

That'd be tough to do given issues at other spots as well with age and expiring deals
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 03:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Team Pass Defense" is usually ranked by yards allowed, but that is not very accurate.  Bengals pass defense is 16th in yards allowed per game, but they are much better than that.  They rank 6th in pass efficiency defense, 5th in yards per attempt, 3rd in interceptions, and 9th in sacks.

I agree Fred as some stats don't tell the whole story. The Rams got a bunch of garbage yards yesterday on offense against our pass defense once behind, but no points. Our offense gets skewed in stats the other way when Hue shuts down the offense in games in the 4th quarter when way ahead.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 03:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Allowing only 17.5 ppg in today's NFL is amazing. Also, one stat that rarely gets mentioned is opponent's passer rating. The Bengals currently rank 6th in that category at 81.9. The Bengals do a great job of limiting QBs to short throws.

Good point

It is easy to forget how easy it is to move the ball in the air (easier in today's NFL versus 15 years ago due to rule changes).

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 03:57 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: They are playing great. It's going to be an ugly drop off at the end of this season. Needs to be a D heavy draft, specifically at defensive back, what with Nelson, Hall and Adam Jones out of contract and getting a little long in the tooth. I would not be against taking an early cornerback again.

Why would you assume we won't resign 1, 2 or all 3 of our guys?

The Bengals have proven to sign their own as players now want to stay here as their first choice it appears.

Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 05:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I think Jones and/or Hall will be back. Hall, significantly cheaper and Jones on a one year deal.

This^^^ I think jones and hall will be brought back. Just don't see them letting jones get gone. He's one top in his position this year and hell of a return man.  Rock On
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 06:45 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: This^^^ I think jones and hall will be brought back. Just don't see them letting jones get gone. He's one top in his position this year and hell of a return man.  Rock On

Jones loves it here also, he loves the locker room, he loves the fans and he loves ML and the Bengals FO for giving him a shot

I would be shocked if he left

Leon Hall has stepped up his game and also has been a Bengals for life so likely he wants to stay here to end his career. Don't forget, the Bengals FO chose him over JJ years ago and then stuck by Hall as he made big bucks when he was injured

Reply/Quote
The Defense locked down the ORotY and held him to something like 17 yards. They were fooled on one drive giving up a huge gain by good ol what's his name I'll never forget and allowed them to score, but that was it, the Rams could do nothing all freaking day long.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2015, 06:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Jones loves it here also, he loves the locker room, he loves the fans and he loves ML and the Bengals FO for giving him a shot

I would be shocked if he left

Leon Hall has stepped up his game and also has been a Bengals for life so likely he wants to stay here to end his career. Don't forget, the Bengals FO chose him over JJ years ago and then stuck by Hall as he made big bucks when he was injured

.....all of this ^^^^^ I don't think Jones is going anywhere.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
The defense has certainly taken it's game up a notch. With a healthy Atkins and Dunlap playing well, it seems everyone is playing much better.

My only gripe with the team is the backup D-lineman. Gilberry is good and certainly a good rotational guy, but Clarke and Hunt have made no impact. Thompson and Sims are loved by people on the boards, but don't get playing time. Hunt is still Hunt.

Carter is the only bright spot with potential. Mainly in his pass rushing because he can run full speed and bend like Dunlap (something we've lacked).

My concern is what happens if (God forbid) we lose one of the starters? There's a huge drop off in production. That's my biggest concern, but it's more so caution rather than criticism.
Reply/Quote
And then there is Kirkpatrick. Smh. This kids needs to calm down as he is a weak link. He is good, but his mistakes are very costly.

Reply/Quote