Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to jump into free agency
We need a good three-down LB and Danny Trevathan is a Ohio boy (Youngstown) who went to college in nearby Lexington.

He is still just 25 years old.
Reply/Quote
i know we signed jeff luc to a futures contract any potential there?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i know we signed jeff luc to a futures contract any potential there?

Downhill player, more of the same at MLB
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We need a good three-down LB and Danny Trevathan is a Ohio boy (Youngstown) who went to college in nearby Lexington.

I'm all for that one.....he's a good player, to get drafted out of UK, you have to damn near be All Pro caliber. Ninja LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We need a good three-down LB and Danny Trevathan is a Ohio boy (Youngstown) who went to college in nearby Lexington.

What position is he playing here? I got to think the drafting of Dawson was either to slide Burfict to MLB or to slide Dawson.

For those who forgot about Dawson, here is a quick snippet about him.

Dawson's instincts and production are off the charts, and are untouchable by any linebacker in this draft. Dawson was targeted 29 times in the passing game, and he came away with four interceptions and nine passes defensed. Dawson allowed no broken tackles, and added six sacks and three fumbles recovered. Dawson's production and instincts are first-round worthy, but he must prove he's fast enough for the NFL game or he'll be just another guy as a pro.

I think he is worth a look in a starting role for sure.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 04:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: What position is he playing here? I got to think the drafting of Dawson was either to slide Burfict to MLB or to slide Dawson.

For those who forgot about Dawson, here is a quick snippet about him.

Dawson's instincts and production are off the charts, and are untouchable by any linebacker in this draft. Dawson was targeted 29 times in the passing game, and he came away with four interceptions and nine passes defensed. Dawson allowed no broken tackles, and added six sacks and three fumbles recovered. Dawson's production and instincts are first-round worthy, but he must prove he's fast enough for the NFL game or he'll be just another guy as a pro.

I think he is worth a look in a starting role for sure.

I thought Dawson would get a lot of PT this year and none of that happened.. He must be terrible in practice or something.
I do want Danny Trevathan though, a very good linebacker than can help us for sure.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote

I wonder what we'd end up giving the Broncos in the 2017 draft if we signed him. I'd guess a 4th but maybe a 3rd rounder? Trevathan is a stud, for sure. I'd love having him, and the Broncos are going to have tie a ton of money to Von Miller. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 04:45 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I thought Dawson would get a lot of PT this year and none of that happened.. He must be terrible in practice or something.
I do want Danny Trevathan though, a very good linebacker than can help us for sure.

Agree.  Based on all the hype, I thought we would see much more of Dawson than we did.  Marvin has some reputation for not wanting to play rookies, but this specifically does not seem to apply to linebacker.  The fact that he wasn't on the field more probably speaks volumes.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 04:52 PM)Shady Wrote: I wonder what we'd end up giving the Broncos in the 2017 draft if we signed him. I'd guess a 4th but maybe a 3rd rounder? Trevathan is a stud, for sure. I'd love having him, and the Broncos are going to have tie a ton of money to Von Miller. 

I thought he was an unrestricted free agent.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 04:57 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Agree.  Based on all the hype, I thought we would see much more of Dawson than we did.  Marvin has some reputation for not wanting to play rookies, but this specifically does not seem to apply to linebacker.  The fact that he wasn't on the field more probably speaks volumes.

Vinney rey was first off the bench in all spots,.... his experience was probly the main reason we didnt see more of Dawson
Reply/Quote

Awfully big jump you expect the Bengals to make from AJ Hawk in FA to Danny Trevathan in FA.

Not sure I see it happening. They'll end up adding some more people in week 3 of FA who are either old or busts, and calling it a day.

(This is me tempering my expectations so when they do nothing, I won't be enraged.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 05:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I thought he was an unrestricted free agent.

He is from what I know, I am pretty sure we won't have to givee up anything but the Broncos will get comp. pick for sure.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 05:45 PM)milksheikh Wrote: He is from what I know, I am pretty sure we won't have to givee up anything but the Broncos will get comp. pick for sure.

Maybe he's under the impression comp picks actually come from the signing team, rather than are just handed out by the NFL? Not sure why that would be, but it's the only way I could make it make sense.

Unless he means the Bengals losing a comp pick they might have otherwise got, because they added actual FA rather than AJ Hawk. In which case, I would gladly trade a 2017 4th round comp pick for a real linebacker.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Good news - Trevathan is an off-ball LB, meaning he won't be that expensive regardless.
Bad news - We still probably won't sign him.

As for Dawson, he doesn't fit the mold of what we need. He's more Burfict/Maualuga insurance.
We need an athlete who can cover. Trevathan does that.
Reply/Quote
I'll pass. I don't know anything about this guy, or any FA BUT I totally remember the Browns and/or Buccaneers signing a free agent once and then like being super bad.

Also, the Colts were in the AFC Championship game last year. They signed that FA WR and now they're awful.

NO THANKS!!!!!!!!!!! Ninja
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I can see him getting decent - very good money on the market. I don't think spending money on a LB who might see the field half of the plays is worth it.

I think Paul Dawson will jump right into a major role next year. I thought he was the best inside LB in the draft last year. I thought he played great in preseason, but we all know that it takes a lot to break into the starting lineup.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:08 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Honestly, I can see him getting decent - very good money on the market.  I don't think spending money on a LB who might see the field half of the plays is worth it.

I think Paul Dawson will jump right into a major role next year.  I thought he was the best inside LB in the draft last year.  I thought he played great in preseason, but we all know that it takes a lot to break into the starting lineup.

That's the opposite of what Trevathan would do...he'd stay on in base and nickel. No more VRey in nickel. 
Reply/Quote

He is no doubt a very good 3 down LB that may hit FA since Miller is also a FA and likely the cost may be too high for Denver to keep them both. The issue a 3 down LB in FA will be very expensive (Burfict contract money or above) and not sure we would invest the dollars.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:09 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's the opposite of what Trevathan would do...he'd stay on in base and nickel. No more VRey in nickel. 

Yeah, pretty silly to think Danny doesn't easily become our second best LB from day one.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He is no doubt a very good 3 down LB that may hit FA since Miller is also a FA and likely the cost may be too high for Denver to keep them both. The issue a 3 down LB in FA will be very expensive (Burfict contract money or above) and not sure we would invest the dollars.

Yeah, but at some point, you gotta go for the gusto in an all out run for the SB....a signing like this does just that.

Reply/Quote