Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to jump into free agency
(02-07-2016, 09:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was going to make this exact argument, but figured why bother. I hated the Kirkpatrick pick from the word go. Too skinny, never backpedaled, surrounded by talent at Alabama, etc. I predicted he'd bust before we even drafted him. I still don't think he's a really good CB, but I don't think he's garbage like some are saying, either. 

Like you said, I have a very hard time believing a CB on a top 5 pass defense could be complete garbage. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see him getting burned much. The lack of INTs was alarming, but I think he held his own pretty well. Is he the long term answer as a starter? Idk, but I don't think he's garbage. If that were the case, teams would've been able to pass on us better than they did.

Part of it was, he had a bad stretch once and got labeled as a bad player and now if there is anything remotely close on his side of the field, he either gets flagged or blamed for it. 
Reply/Quote
Sign Danny Trevathan. For the love of all that is holy sign that man.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 12:45 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Part of it was, he had a bad stretch once and got labeled as a bad player and now if there is anything remotely close on his side of the field, he either gets flagged or blamed for it. 

It would be interesting to see how many of his pass interference calls were on plays that he was burned on. Sometimes a DPI can save you from giving up a TD. It would be interesting to see the context of each flag and its impact on the game.

He certainly isn't worth as much as we are supposed to pay him soon... and his contract needs to be restructured...
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 02:06 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It would be interesting to see how many of his pass interference calls were on plays that he was burned on. Sometimes a DPI can save you from giving up a TD. It would be interesting to see the context of each flag and its impact on the game.

He certainly isn't worth as much as we are supposed to pay him soon... and his contract needs to be restructured...

Yeah, dunno about the DPI, just know he was 3rd in penalties among all positions, and 2nd in missed tackles among all CB.

If you can't tackle, you need to be Deion Sanders levels of good at coverage.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 03:09 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Sign Danny Trevathan. For the love of all that is holy sign that man.

It'd be nice, but I doubt we make a signing like that in FA.

Gotta keep developing our homegrown talent and just focus on the draft... Yawn
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 03:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Time-to-jump-into-free-agency?page=5

Numbers don't lie. Cinci's pass defense was pretty good last year. Kirkpatrick is a part of that whether you like it or not. =)

If you go by passer rating and yards per attempt, Cinci is 4th behind DENVER, CAROLINA and KC...

I think that's hard to do with a complete chump at corner... Maybe Kirkpatrick isn't quite as bad as people think. He is the weak link on a strong defense... Of course its easy to call him a chump when the other guys you watch are Adam Jones, Leon Hall, Reggie Nelson and Iloka...

IDK... you guys just make it sound like, replace Kirkpatrick and we are the 00 Ravens... I don't see it.

He had a bad year last season, any way you want to spin it. he was the worst player in the Secondary.

(02-07-2016, 04:49 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I do think he is a serviceable starter...

But, he is way too inconsistent, he gives up too many big plays + penalties. I do like his swagger and attitude but he needs to translate those on the field. He sometimes looks like a very good corner and most of the time.. absolute sh*t.

Yep.

(02-07-2016, 09:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was going to make this exact argument, but figured why bother. I hated the Kirkpatrick pick from the word go. Too skinny, never backpedaled, surrounded by talent at Alabama, etc. I predicted he'd bust before we even drafted him. I still don't think he's a really good CB, but I don't think he's garbage like some are saying, either. 

Like you said, I have a very hard time believing a CB on a top 5 pass defense could be complete garbage. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see him getting burned much. The lack of INTs was alarming, but I think he held his own pretty well. Is he the long term answer as a starter? Idk, but I don't think he's garbage. If that were the case, teams would've been able to pass on us better than they did.

I don't think Kirkpatrick is garbage but he definately needs to step up his game so he is not the glaring weakness.
Reply/Quote

I agree that he is not garbage, but I also don't think he is worth $7.5 million this year.  If they are going to keep him, which I think they will, I would like to see maybe a three year deal at a much lower cap hit.  No way he gets anywhere close to $7.5 on the open market.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 12:15 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I agree that he is not garbage, but I also don't think he is worth $7.5 million this year.  If they are going to keep him, which I think they will, I would like to see maybe a three year deal at a much lower cap hit.  No way he gets anywhere close to $7.5 on the open market.

Agreed, but the Bengals just paid Leon $9 million last year. Leon will probably be retained at a much lower rate now that his contract is up. I see it playing out the same way with DreKirk.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 04:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Still can't believe the Bengals are going to be paying Kirkpatrick $7.5m in 2016. After he was 3rd in the entire NFL in penalties, and had 16 missed tackles. Really need to drop that option like a hot potato.

Crazy thing is, Kirkpatrick has already played likely 40-50% of his career, yet some people still try to defend him by saying it was only his first year starting and he's young. Lol... 30-32 is the vanishing age for most CB. Those that play longer generally are able to substitute technique and knowledge when they lose a step. Kirkpatrick really doesn't have either at this point.

I'm more concerned with paying Zeitler 8 million for his option. We need to get an extension worked out with him. CBs are always more expensive than Gs. There was a Hobson article a couple weeks back that mentioned Zeitler's 8 mil number is something they do not like. If we can't extend him I wonder if we cut or try to trade him. Would kill our depth but we could still field a good OL even if we lost Andre too. Whit, Boling, Bodine, Fisher, Ogbuehi.

I don't think he is worth almost twice as much as Boling and more than Whit. We need to cut Zeitler's number in half. No way he should be the 4th highest paid player on the team.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 04:10 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I'm more concerned with paying Zeitler 8 million for his option. We need to get an extension worked out with him. CBs are always more expensive than Gs. There was a Hobson article a couple weeks back that mentioned Zeitler's 8 mil number is something they do not like. If we can't extend him I wonder if we cut or try to trade him. Would kill our depth but we could still field a good OL even if we lost Andre too. Whit, Boling, Bodine, Fisher, Ogbuehi.

I don't think he is worth almost twice as much as Boling and more than Whit. We need to cut Zeitler's number in half. No way he should be the 4th highest paid player on the team.

Zeitler hasn't lived up to draft expectations, but at least he's good. Maybe not $8m good, but I think it's certainly a more tolerable situation to swallow than Kirkpatrick for $7.5m.

Would be pretty rough if they traded him, but if there's zero chance of getting a long term deal done (not saying there isn't, just saying if), perhaps it'd be better to seek a trade? I highly doubt they'll cut him. Even if it's a tough cap hit, they're nowhere near close enough to the cap right now (even if Hobson says they need to save $20m for the draft and injuries) to warrant cutting the guy.

That said, I really hope Bodine isn't the starting center again. Would love for a good guy to replace him around in the 3rd or so.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2016, 03:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed, but the Bengals just paid Leon $9 million last year. Leon will probably be retained at a much lower rate now that his contract is up. I see it playing out the same way with DreKirk.

I know it is not their style, but really thought the team should have asked Leon to take a pay cut last year.  I've liked him going all the way back to his Michigan days, but I believe that $9 million made him the seventh or eighth highest paid corner last year.  He is not the seventh or eighth best cornerback in the league after two Achilles injuries.

I tend to agree that they will pay Kirkpatrick the $7.5 this year, just think it is a waste of resources.  By this point you know if he is part of your long term plan.  If so, then work out a longer term deal that lowers the cap hit this year.  If he is not, then I think you use that money elsewhere and either take the best available cornerback (who is ready to play and doesn't have to redshirt two years) or find a serviceable vet on the free agent market while transitioning to the future.
Reply/Quote
Mark Barron may be a great value pickup for linebacker. He shows great promise at the position and shouldn't demand as much money as a guy like Danny Trevathan

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote