Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to jump into free agency
(02-01-2016, 06:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: He is no doubt a very good 3 down LB that may hit FA since Miller is also a FA and likely the cost may be too high for Denver to keep them both. The issue a 3 down LB in FA will be very expensive (Burfict contract money or above) and not sure we would invest the dollars.

Burfict contract money isn't that impressive on an NFL scale. 4yr/$19m. Freaking Rey Maualuga is making a higher average than that (though Burfict I think still had his RFA season when he was signed, so that factored in a bit) I sure would think it'd be worth it in order to not have to see Lamur or Hawk on the field ever again, though.

Dump Kirkpatrick's ridiculous $7.5m 5th year option (currently lined up to be the Bengals 6th highest cap hit in 2016 after Maualuga was the 6th in 2015 for only 57.2% of the defensive snaps) to help pay for it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Burfict contract money isn't that impressive on an NFL scale. 4yr/$19m. Freaking Rey Maualuga is making a higher average than that (though Burfict I think still had his RFA season when he was signed, so that factored in a bit) I sure would think it'd be worth it in order to not have to see Lamur or Hawk on the field ever again, though.

Dump Kirkpatrick's ridiculous $7.5m 5th year option (currently lined up to be the Bengals 6th highest cap hit in 2016 after Maualuga was the 6th in 2015 for only 57.2% of the defensive snaps) to help pay for it.

We all like to dog Maualuga because of what he isn't, but we should all really remember what happened to the run defense in 2014 and 2013 without him. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: We all like to dog Maualuga because of what he isn't, but we should all really remember what happened to the run defense in 2014 and 2013 without him. 

Maualuga a good veteran LB. He isn't Rey Lewis.. oh well. I like what I have seen from Maualuga ever since we re-signed him.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Maualuga a good veteran LB. He isn't Rey Lewis.. oh well. I like what I have seen from Maualuga ever since we re-signed him.

Rey has stepped up since they stopped asking him to be a leader (weird to say), but the guy pretty much played on a 1 year deal. We can save $4+ million of we release him. If Dawson and/or someone else can show that they will match Rey's play, then it's a no brainer to me.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:23 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: We all like to dog Maualuga because of what he isn't, but we should all really remember what happened to the run defense in 2014 and 2013 without him. 

You're doing the Pat Sims argument?

You don't mention 2015, because with Maualuga, and without Burfict, the run defense was absolutely horrid.

In 2014, once again, Burfict was fighting with concussions and knee injuries. Missed most of that season.

2013, not sure.

The point is, people made this exact same argument over Pat Sims leaving for Oakland. "When Pat Sims plays, the Bengals are X better against the run than without." He left for Oakland and the Bengals went from the 12th run defense in 2012 to the 5th run defense in 2013. The Pat Sims Effect was never heard from again.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Maualuga a good veteran LB. He isn't Rey Lewis.. oh well. I like what I have seen from Maualuga ever since we re-signed him.

Right. The greatest blunder of the Zimmer era will have been moving Rey from SLB to MLB and forcing him into coverage instead of being a pure downhill player. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:38 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: You're doing the Pat Sims argument?

You don't mention 2015, because with Maualuga, and without Burfict, the run defense was absolutely horrid.

In 2014, once again, Burfict was fighting with concussions and knee injuries. Missed most of that season.

2013, not sure.

The point is, people made this exact same argument over Pat Sims leaving for Oakland. "When Pat Sims plays, the Bengals are X better against the run than without." He left for Oakland and the Bengals went from the 12th run defense in 2012 to the 5th run defense in 2013. The Pat Sims Effect was never heard from again.

No?
The Pat Sims argument is that he's better than he is, which isn't the case here. 

The argument here is that Rey M is a good run stopping LB. He's not good in coverage. 
2014, Rey played damn good vs the run. 

2015, our run defense was bad without Burfict because Hawk, VRey and Lamur are bad. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:40 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: No?
The Pat Sims argument is that he's better than he is, which isn't the case here. 

The argument here is that Rey M is a good run stopping LB. He's not good in coverage. 
2014, Rey played damn good vs the run. 

2015, our run defense was bad without Burfict because Hawk, VRey and Lamur are bad. 

When he doesn't overrun the play, get locked in place by a lineman blocking him with his pinky, or miss the tackle outright, then yes, he is a good run stopping LB. Lol

You know why you thought Maualuga was good in 2014? He barely played. The dude only played 39.4% of the defensive snaps. He had 33 solo tackles. So sure, if you ask him to stop doing every single thing other than run forward in a straight line and try to tackle a guy, then perhaps he looks a little better.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 06:47 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: When he doesn't overrun the play, get locked in place by a lineman blocking him with his pinky, or miss the tackle outright, then yes, he is a good run stopping LB. Lol

You know why you thought Maualuga was good in 2014? He barely played. The dude only played 39.4% of the defensive snaps. He had 33 solo tackles. So sure, if you ask him to stop doing every single thing other than run forward in a straight line and try to tackle a guy, then perhaps he looks a little better.

He is about as good as Taylor Mays! Ninja

Except he doesn't hurt his own teammates as often...
Reply/Quote
Rey M has showed up in the last two home playoff games. He was very good against Pitt and kept himself in check emotionally. He doesn't make a lot of splash plays but he brings the hammer on opposing blockers many times freeing up 55 to make a play.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 07:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He is about as good as Taylor Mays! Ninja

Except he doesn't hurt his own teammates as often...

Taylor Mays has played decent for the Raiders. Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 09:31 PM)brian5562 Wrote: Rey M has showed up in the last two home playoff games. He was very good against Pitt and kept himself in check emotionally. He doesn't make a lot of splash plays but he brings the hammer on opposing blockers many times freeing up 55 to make a play.

Those losses are not exactly examples of "greatness", heck Burfict made all of the noteworthy plays in the running game vs. Pitt.

As for the OP, heck yes, I'd love to see the Bengals make a quality purchase in FA.  We are getting close to that "1 or 2 players away" axiom. Add Alex Mack at C, and the OL may be the best in the league.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We really haven't seen Flowers yet. If Mau and Burfict are present, then I don't see another high dollar LB coming in this season. I still think V Rey walks and I'm predicting that Hawk retires or is waived. This then leaves room for a possible 2nd round or maybe an early 3rd round pick at OLB. While we're comparing apples to oranges here, don't discount Roach. He is a MLB, but he is a 240lb LB, not a 255-260 lb LB. Roach can cover TE's and RB's in the flats and has quick side line to side line speed. He is also aggressive and attacks rather than waiting for the RB to come to him. This showed out in the Pre-season. I'm hoping to more of him this season.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 10:46 PM)SFmajor Wrote: We really haven't seen Flowers yet.  If Mau and Burfict are present, then I don't see another high dollar LB coming in this season.  I still think V Rey walks and I'm predicting that Hawk retires or is waived.  This then leaves room for a possible 2nd round or maybe an early 3rd round pick at OLB.  While we're comparing apples to oranges here, don't discount Roach.  He is a MLB, but he is a 240lb LB, not a 255-260 lb LB.  Roach can cover TE's and RB's in the flats and has quick side line to side line speed.  He is also aggressive and attacks rather than waiting for the RB to come to him.  This showed out in the Pre-season.  I'm hoping to more of him this season.

How sad is it that we as fans have to look at undrafted PS LBs or other bums and see stars in the making, because otherwise it won't get solved?

I wouldn't trust Roach to cover any TE or RB. He runs a 4.80, had one year in college where he had more than 10 tackles, was a starter for only half of one season, and was injured in three of his four college seasons.

Haven't really seen Flowers yet because he stinks and also can't stay healthy.

Haven't seen Porter yet because he can't stay healthy.

PJ Dawson could barely stay active on gameday.

It's time to stop messing around at LB and finally fix it rather than pile up a mountain of guys Lewis thinks he can coach up. Maybe finally draft a guy who doesn't need coached up, or sign a guy who doesn't need coached up.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 11:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How sad is it that we as fans have to look at undrafted PS LBs or other bums and see stars in the making, because otherwise it won't get solved?

I wouldn't trust Roach to cover any TE or RB. He runs a 4.80, had one year in college where he had more than 10 tackles, was a starter for only half of one season, and was injured in three of his four college seasons.

It's time to stop messing around at LB and finally fix it rather than pile up a mountain of guys Lewis thinks he can coach up. Maybe finally draft a guy who doesn't need coached up, or sign a guy who doesn't need coached up.

this
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 11:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: How sad is it that we as fans have to look at undrafted PS LBs or other bums and see stars in the making, because otherwise it won't get solved?

We didn't exactly hit the jackpot the last time we drafted a linebacker in the first round.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 11:54 PM)3wt Wrote: We didn't exactly hit the jackpot the last time we drafted a linebacker in the first round.

He was playing great until Hines Ward broke his jaw. Never was the same. Can't let that stop you from continuing to try to fix a position of need.

I like to pretend that 2008 draft just never happened for the Bengals. They skipped it that year. Lol

Reply/Quote
Is Dan Skuta available? hahahahahaha
Reply/Quote
Now this is exactly the type of "mid-tier" FA some of us are always talking about. Affordable but not cheap, young player who has produced, but not the type of player that will break the bank.

I wanted us to draft this kid in 2012 and the Broncos wound up snagging him with a 6th rounder. I guess if in some dream world we actually signed him, he'd play SLB in base and slide over in nickel. He can cover for sure, and he has a nose for the ball (152 tackles and 3 int's in 2013).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

LMAO!   I'll be your huckleberry!  Why is it that everyone thinks that things will be so good with only one  1st Round Draft pick.  Look at Stephon Anthony at New Orleans.  Sorry for all those Saint fans who saw their team take a nose dive this year.  Ask Jeff Luc about the Saints defense,  he was there.

As for Roach, he was injured in his Junior year with Lis franc, rehabbed and returned.  He had 18 tackles against Michigan State.  His pro-day performance would have placed him 5th overall for LB's at the combine had he been invited to attend.  I can post his results if you need proof.  No hate here, just enjoying all the whining. 

Honestly, I hope you do get your wish and the Bengals draft a 1st round LB this year.  Then I can sit back and watch all the posts about how great he is like everyone did over P J Dawson.  

Reply/Quote