Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to jump into free agency
(02-02-2016, 12:22 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I thought Pollack was the last LB drafted in round #1 and he was coming into his own until he got hurt even though he was more of a tweener (DE (small)?versus a true LB).

Talk about a draft that really hurt this team... Pollack, Thurman, and Henry all came out of that class...
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:30 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Talk about a draft that really hurt this team... Pollack, Thurman, and Henry all came out of that class...

Imagine if they could have stayed on the field
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:30 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Talk about a draft that really hurt this team... Pollack, Thurman, and Henry all came out of that class...

We never win the division in '05 without those three players (plus Tab Perry who had some big kick returns in '05).

Shame they were gone so soon.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Leon Hall was not nearly as weak at CB as the LBs playing in front of Dawson.  In 2014 we had atop 5 pass defense despite finishing dead last in sacks.  That is not possible with weak DB play.

What amazes mt is the xpectations people around here had for a fourth round pick like Dawson.

Couple issues here. 2014 was tw0 years ago and that was a different Leon Hall then we had this year.

The expectations are because Dawson was thought by many to be the best inside LB in the draft but character issues dropped him (many had him as a 2nd rounder pre draft). It is a very similar story to Burffict really just not as highly publicized. He has been compared to Lavonte David coming out, and while he may have went in the 4th round that doesn't mean it is a indictment to his talent just the amount of risk teams were willing to take on it.

Heck Travetheon was a 6th rounder.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:46 PM)Au165 Wrote: Couple issues here. 2014 was tw0 years ago and that was a different Leon Hall then we had this year.

I was talking about 2014.  We had a top 5 pass defense despite being last in sacks.  That would not have been possible if Hall played as bad as many people claim.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 01:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was talking about 2014.  We had a top 5 pass defense despite being last in sacks.  That would not have been possible if Hall played as bad as many people claim.

I was claiming he played bad this year. I think he was pretty good in 2014.
Reply/Quote
Signing Trevathan would be huge because it opens the door in the draft to really relax and stick to our board like we have been.

DT and WR become the top needs and we wouldn't have to feel pressured into a pick like we did with Clarke and Bodine.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 02:40 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Signing Trevathan would be huge because it opens the door in the draft to really relax and stick to our board like we have been.

DT and WR become the top needs and we wouldn't have to feel pressured into a pick like we did with Clarke and Bodine.

Supposedly they liked Bodine the best of all centers that year, so take it for what it is worth. I don't see us going for a WR in the first as they got Sanu and Jones later and I believe they think that could be the path again. I could see us going CB, S, or possibly DT. I think they may still like Thompson as the future for Peko though with Hardison rotating in.
Reply/Quote
The Lions are sure to release Pettigrew as he's due 10 million over the next 2 seasons and he's been completely phased out of their offense.

He'd be good low cost veteran insurance behind Eifert and Kroft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:34 PM)Au165 Wrote: Supposedly they liked Bodine the best of all centers that year, so take it for what it is worth. I don't see us going for a WR in the first as they got Sanu and Jones later and I believe they think that could be the path again. I could see us going CB, S, or possibly DT. I think they may still like Thompson as the future for Peko though with Hardison rotating in.

It wasn't a great center class on paper. And he "fit" what they wanted I suppose. Smart, "strong" and durable. 
But I think that was them covering for screwing up and not being prepared for Cook leaving.

And Brandon Thompson is not a replacement for Peko. He doesn't play the same role. Different skill sets. Different purposes. 
Oh and he isn't very good.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It wasn't a great center class on paper. And he "fit" what they wanted I suppose. Smart, "strong" and durable. 
But I think that was them covering for screwing up and not being prepared for Cook leaving.

And Brandon Thompson is not a replacement for Peko. He doesn't play the same role. Different skill sets. Different purposes. 

They do play the same role. They are both one technique guys tasked with stopping the run versus Atkins three technique that lets him rush and run stop. He may not be good, but he is in fact the same skill set.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 04:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: They do play the same role. They are both one technique guys tasked with stopping the run versus Atkins three technique that lets him rush and run stop. He may not be good, but he is in fact the same skill set.

That's simply not true. 
Thompson is usually asked to be a gap penetrating DT to disrupt plays. He's got a good first step and that's it. 

Have you ever actually watched Thompson play? It's the opposite of Peko.
Peko is a squatty dude who (used to) eats blocks and doesn't do much in the backfield. 
Thompson tries to shoot every gap. It's what he does.  
He's awful vs the run when he has to take on blockers. Pancake city. 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Lions are sure to release Pettigrew as he's due 10 million over the next 2 seasons and he's been completely phased out of their offense.

He'd be good low cost veteran insurance behind Eifert and Kroft.

Detroit's Jermaine Gresham.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 05:21 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Detroit's Jermaine Gresham.

Pretty much, but without the "many many many many many moods".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
How does everyone feel about bringing in another (younger) veteran corner.

Josh Robinson from MIN?
Jeremy Lane from SEA?
Antwon Blake from PIT?

I think we could use another corner in his mid twenties who has some experience... just a thought.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 10:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: How does everyone feel about bringing in another (younger) veteran corner.

Josh Robinson from MIN?
Jeremy Lane from SEA?
Antwon Blake from PIT?

I think we could use another corner in his mid twenties who has some experience... just a thought.

Isn't Boykin a FA? 
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It wasn't a great center class on paper. And he "fit" what they wanted I suppose. Smart, "strong" and durable. 

i believe they cut cook....
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 03:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Isn't Boykin a FA? 

He also fits the bill as a young FA with some experience...
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 10:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: How does everyone feel about bringing in another (younger) veteran corner.

Josh Robinson from MIN?
Jeremy Lane from SEA?
Antwon Blake from PIT?

Blake is absolute trash.

(02-03-2016, 03:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Isn't Boykin a FA? 

Yes he is. That'd be a great signing for us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 04:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He also fits the bill as a young FA with some experience...

Also has experience returning 
Reply/Quote