Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time to jump into free agency
(02-03-2016, 05:14 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Blake is absolute trash.

I couldn't remember which Steeler corner was good and which wasn't. Got the two mixed up. I take pride in not knowing the Steelers, Ravens and Browns rosters that well lol.

Whichever one dances like a little B**** I wouldn't mind signing haha.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 06:03 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I couldn't remember which Steeler corner was good and which wasn't. Got the two mixed up. I take pride in not knowing the Steelers, Ravens and Browns rosters that well lol.

Whichever one dances like a little B**** I wouldn't mind signing haha.

Honestly, no member in the Steelers secondary is good.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 06:09 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Honestly, no member in the Steelers secondary is good.

Boykin was good in Philly then Pittsburgh never played him. 
It was weird. But I'd take him here. 
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 06:09 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Honestly, no member in the Steelers secondary is good.

Well, IDK the status of how much money these guys are going to be demanding this offseason, but there were some good pickings off the list I saw.

We definitely need a serviceable vet at corner tho. Not sure if I'm ready to hand the secondary over to the young guys quite yet.

(IF Dennard didn't get hurt last season, I would feel much more confident)
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 06:13 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Boykin was good in Philly then Pittsburgh never played him. 
It was weird. But I'd take him here. 

I never remember that he was traded there. That's how Pittsburgh used him. The guy is a really good slot CB and Pittsburgh finds a way to mess it up.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 06:19 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I never remember that he was traded there. That's how Pittsburgh used him. The guy is a really good slot CB and Pittsburgh finds a way to mess it up.

He kinda reminds me of a young Pacman.
I liked him out of UGA.
Would love him here. 
Reply/Quote
What about signing Terrance Kinghton or BJ Raji at nose tackle?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:33 AM)J24 Wrote: What about signing Terrance Kinghton or BJ Raji at nose tackle?

Eh. Too good of a draft to be doing that IMO. A lot of really good talent. 
Both guys have had really up and down careers that include some really awful years.
Have to be concerned with that when paying them as well as both are hitting that 30 year mark for DTs....
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We need a good three-down LB and Danny Trevathan is a Ohio boy (Youngstown) who went to college in nearby Lexington.

He is still just 25 years old.

Great coverage Linebacker, he would definately be the top Linebacker i would want.

I doubt we go after him but he is definately the Linebacker i am hoping for.

A couple other players i want are Damon Harrison DT and Mark Barron SS if Iloka leaves.

Rishard Matthews WR out of Miami is also my guy now that MLJ might get offered #1 money.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 03:43 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Eh. Too good of a draft to be doing that IMO. A lot of really good talent. 
Both guys have had really up and down careers that include some really awful years.
Have to be concerned with that when paying them as well as both are hitting that 30 year mark for DTs....

Potroast did have a disapointing year though in Washington so that should drive his price down.

I would definately take him over Peko. Harrison is my guy though if we go DT in FA.

Probably right and we should draft one early. Same with LB.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2016, 01:33 AM)J24 Wrote: What about signing Terrance Kinghton or BJ Raji at nose tackle?

Knighton took a 1 year deal hoping the DT market would rebound this offseason. He pretty much did nothing in Washington. I see him holding out for a better deal than anyone is willing to give him.
Reply/Quote
(02-03-2016, 06:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Well, IDK the status of how much money these guys are going to be demanding this offseason, but there were some good pickings off the list I saw.

We definitely need a serviceable vet at corner tho. Not sure if I'm ready to hand the secondary over to the young guys quite yet.

(IF Dennard didn't get hurt last season, I would feel much more confident)

Neither Kirkpatrick or Dennard is a young guy though.  Kirkpatrick is going into his fifth season and Dennard is going into his third.  Both were first round picks.  If they are not ready to take over the secondary, then we have to admit the team missed on one or both of the draft picks...
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:08 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Neither Kirkpatrick or Dennard is a young guy though.  Kirkpatrick is going into his fifth season and Dennard is going into his third.  Both were first round picks.  If they are not ready to take over the secondary, then we have to admit the team missed on one or both of the draft picks...

In terms of NFL playing experience I don't trust handing the secondary over to Dennard and Josh Shaw...

Kirkpatrick doesn't have an excuse he has the experience.

Just saying, the group collectively (assuming adam and leon leave) don't have a ton of snaps between them.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:08 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Neither Kirkpatrick or Dennard is a young guy though.  Kirkpatrick is going into his fifth season and Dennard is going into his third.  Both were first round picks.  If they are not ready to take over the secondary, then we have to admit the team missed on one or both of the draft picks...

Still can't believe the Bengals are going to be paying Kirkpatrick $7.5m in 2016. After he was 3rd in the entire NFL in penalties, and had 16 missed tackles. Really need to drop that option like a hot potato.

Crazy thing is, Kirkpatrick has already played likely 40-50% of his career, yet some people still try to defend him by saying it was only his first year starting and he's young. Lol... 30-32 is the vanishing age for most CB. Those that play longer generally are able to substitute technique and knowledge when they lose a step. Kirkpatrick really doesn't have either at this point.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 04:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Still can't believe the Bengals are going to be paying Kirkpatrick $7.5m in 2016. After he was 3rd in the entire NFL in penalties, and had 16 missed tackles. Really need to drop that option like a hot potato.

Crazy thing is, Kirkpatrick has already played likely 40-50% of his career, yet some people still try to defend him by saying it was only his first year starting and he's young. Lol... 30-32 is the vanishing age for most CB. Those that play longer generally are able to substitute technique and knowledge when they lose a step. Kirkpatrick really doesn't have either at this point.

Well Lapham has praised Kirkpatrick and as he has a bit more knowledge then you and I, Im going to assume Dre is not as bad as some what to make him out to be, Lapham also mentioned Dre played a bit banged up this year and felt that might have hindered his performance.  As for the Bengals and his contract.. .. with possible lose of Jones and letting Hall go and the injury to Dennard... Kirpatrick's value goes up even if his performance this year was not overall that great especially with that lack of depth we are looking at with CB position.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 09:31 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:
1. Well Lapham has praised Kirkpatrick
and as he has a bit more knowledge then you and I, Im going to assume 2. Dre is not as bad as some what to make him out to be, Lapham also mentioned 3. Dre played a bit banged up this year and felt that might have hindered his performance.  As for the Bengals and his contract.. .. with possible lose of Jones and letting Hall go and the injury to Dennard... 4. Kirpatrick's value goes up even if his performance this year was not overall that great especially with that lack of depth we are looking at with CB position.

1. Didn't he also praise Margus Hunt?

2. He was 3rd in penalties in the entire NFL at all positions, he had 16 missed tackles (2nd worst among CB), and ProFootballFocus (not gospel, but a decent metric for generalized arguments) gave him a 38.8... out of 100.0

3. This year? Has the dude ever NOT been hurt, then?

4. A turd with nobody ahead of him is still only a turd. Not worth $7.5m.. I would legitimately rather roll with Shaw over Kirkpatrick.

I don't think you really realize how bad Kirkpatrick was. If it wasn't for Reggie Nelson eating up all the deep passes, it would have been even uglier.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 1. Didn't he also praise Margus Hunt?

2. He was 3rd in penalties in the entire NFL at all positions, he had 16 missed tackles (2nd worst among CB), and ProFootballFocus (not gospel, but a decent metric for generalized arguments) gave him a 38.8... out of 100.0

3. This year? Has the dude ever NOT been hurt, then?

4. A turd with nobody ahead of him is still only a turd. Not worth $7.5m.. I would legitimately rather roll with Shaw over Kirkpatrick.

I don't think you really realize how bad Kirkpatrick was. If it wasn't for Reggie Nelson eating up all the deep passes, it would have been even uglier.

Kirkpatrick had a bad year no question.

He better watch his ass or Shaw could honestly take his spot, or Dennard.

We need to bring back Adam cause what we saw from Dre last season was pretty damn terrible.
Reply/Quote
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Time-to-jump-into-free-agency?page=5

Numbers don't lie. Cinci's pass defense was pretty good last year. Kirkpatrick is a part of that whether you like it or not. =)

If you go by passer rating and yards per attempt, Cinci is 4th behind DENVER, CAROLINA and KC...

I think that's hard to do with a complete chump at corner... Maybe Kirkpatrick isn't quite as bad as people think. He is the weak link on a strong defense... Of course its easy to call him a chump when the other guys you watch are Adam Jones, Leon Hall, Reggie Nelson and Iloka...

IDK... you guys just make it sound like, replace Kirkpatrick and we are the 00 Ravens... I don't see it.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 03:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Time-to-jump-into-free-agency?page=5

Numbers don't lie. Cinci's pass defense was pretty good last year. Kirkpatrick is a part of that whether you like it or not. =)

If you go by passer rating and yards per attempt, Cinci is 4th behind DENVER, CAROLINA and KC...

I think that's hard to do with a complete chump at corner... Maybe Kirkpatrick isn't quite as bad as people think. He is the weak link on a strong defense... Of course its easy to call him a chump when the other guys you watch are Adam Jones, Leon Hall, Reggie Nelson and Iloka...

IDK... you guys just make it sound like, replace Kirkpatrick and we are the 00 Ravens... I don't see it.

I do think he is a serviceable starter...

But, he is way too inconsistent, he gives up too many big plays + penalties. I do like his swagger and attitude but he needs to translate those on the field. He sometimes looks like a very good corner and most of the time.. absolute sh*t.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 03:05 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Time-to-jump-into-free-agency?page=5

I was going to make this exact argument, but figured why bother. I hated the Kirkpatrick pick from the word go. Too skinny, never backpedaled, surrounded by talent at Alabama, etc. I predicted he'd bust before we even drafted him. I still don't think he's a really good CB, but I don't think he's garbage like some are saying, either. 

Like you said, I have a very hard time believing a CB on a top 5 pass defense could be complete garbage. Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see him getting burned much. The lack of INTs was alarming, but I think he held his own pretty well. Is he the long term answer as a starter? Idk, but I don't think he's garbage. If that were the case, teams would've been able to pass on us better than they did.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote