Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Time we traded in Williams for a better Williams
(12-13-2021, 11:48 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: He gives up too many 1 on 1 sacks and pressures to be trusted on the blind side, in my opinion. He caused the sack and strip against the Chargers because he couldn't hold up against a non-elite pass rusher in Nwosu. If he allowed that same type of play from RT, Joe at least can see it and can step up. When it's done on the blind side, he doesn't have that opportunity.

I understand that the coaches don't want to move him to RT. I'm just saying I want an elite LT, not a "fine" LT.

And he still very well could be. He just turned 24 last month. He’s not even close to being a finished product.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Another terrible, knee-jerk thread.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:56 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And he still very well could be. He just turned 24 last month. He’s not even close to being a finished product.
And if we draft an elite LT prospect and Jonah turns into an elite LT, then we now have two elite tackles on the team. That sounds like the best case scenario to me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:57 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And if we draft an elite LT prospect and Jonah turns into an elite LT, then we now have two elite tackles on the team. That sounds like the best case scenario to me.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

That would be ideal, yes. Moving sides isn’t the easiest thing for young players though.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:06 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That would be ideal, yes. Moving sides isn’t the easiest thing for young players though.

So I guess I'd revise my strategy to "stockpile elite Oline prospects."

I'd rather have too many good Olinemen on this team than not enough. And, for now, we are definitely on the "not enough" side of that scale.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:08 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So I guess I'd revise my strategy to "stockpile elite Oline prospects."

I'd rather have too many good Olinemen on this team than not enough. And, for now, we are definitely on the "not enough" side of that scale.

Well, personally I’d like them not to rely solely on the draft. I’d love to see them spend some big bucks in FA on the OL, like they have on the defense the last couple years.

Reply/Quote
My only real concern with Jonah was just that he couldn't stay healthy. He's done it so far this year.

I'm not sure I have ever seen anything that suggests that he'll become an elite LT, but he's also been pretty solid and there's still a ton of value in a pretty solid LT. Even more so one with a $4.8m cap hit this year and a $5.6m cap hit next year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:24 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Trent in SF for Jonah and a 1st. We’re midde of the pack in the draft, so we’re not in line for an immediate contributor anyway. We bet on our round 2 fortunes and secure our future o linemen
Trent Williams struggled with Trey Hendrickson until Trey went out of the game.  Even the best OL struggle with Nick Bosa. A 34-year-old lineman, regardless of how well he is currently playing, is not worth the equivalent of 2 first-round picks.  It is a stupid trade for any team let alone a team that isn't just 1 player away from winning it all.  This team is too young to sacrifice their future for a geriatric lineman

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, personally I’d like them not to rely solely on the draft. I’d love to see them spend some big bucks in FA on the OL, like they have on the defense the last couple years.

That's definitely the direction I hope they go in regards to the guard position. But with tackles, it's not too common that really good tackles hit the open market. They're similar to QBs in that regard. If you have an impact LT, chances are you're re-signing them. If there is one available, it's usually age, injury history or a team dispute that allowed them onto the market.

Terron Armstead is a good example of a guy who may be available that I hope we take a long look at. The question is will Armstead be willing to play RT.

You can also take a flyer on players like Duane Brown, Charles Leno Jr or Eric Fisher, but I'm not certain they'd be upgrades over Williams at LT. Maybe they could man RT? But then are they better than Reiff? I'm not sure. 

I'd really love to have a shutdown LT, but those are definitely hard to find.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:47 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's definitely the direction I hope they go in regards to the guard position. But with tackles, it's not too common that really good tackles hit the open market. They're similar to QBs in that regard. If you have an impact LT, chances are you're re-signing them. If there is one available, it's usually age, injury history or a team dispute that allowed them onto the market.

Terron Armstead is a good example of a guy who may be available that I hope we take a long look at. The question is will Armstead be willing to play RT.

You can also take a flyer on players like Duane Brown, Charles Leno Jr or Eric Fisher, but I'm not certain they'd be upgrades over Williams at LT. Maybe they could man RT? But then are they better than Reiff? I'm not sure. 

I think we can all agree at least that Isaiah Prince is not the answer at OT lol
Personally, I'm hoping for Morgan Moses if the team doesn't re-sign Reiff.
If they rely on the draft, I'd like for them to take one in Rd 1.
OL and DB, I think, will be the biggest needs this offseason.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:47 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's definitely the direction I hope they go in regards to the guard position. But with tackles, it's not too common that really good tackles hit the open market. They're similar to QBs in that regard. If you have an impact LT, chances are you're re-signing them. If there is one available, it's usually age, injury history or a team dispute that allowed them onto the market.

The IOL is where we need the most help right now. Unless they can’t re-sign Reiff, in which case RT becomes the #1 priority. I think they will though. Hopefully Spain, too. That would leave C and RG. If Linderbaum is there when we pick it would make a ton of sense to go that direction. Then maybe another OG in FA. They have the money to spend.

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:57 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Another terrible, knee-jerk thread.

Hilarious coming from someone who argued letting Whitworth walk is only bad in hindsight. Did you see how Og and Fisher played while Whit was here?
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 01:12 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Hilarious coming from someone who argued letting Whitworth walk is only bad in hindsight. Did you see how Og and Fisher played while Whit was here?

They barely played. Cedric had less than 100 snaps and Fisher had slightly over. Not enough of a sample size to make a final judgement.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 01:20 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: They barely played. Cedric had less than 100 snaps and Fisher had slightly over. Not enough of a sample size to make a final judgement.

So lose your surefire talent with a large sample size and hope your players with a shit, but smaller sample size pan out? What we knew indicated they’re weren’t adequate replacements.
Reply/Quote
Og played 11 games at RT and two at LT in Whits final year.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 12:24 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Trent in SF for Jonah and a 1st. We’re midde of the pack in the draft, so we’re not in line for an immediate contributor anyway. We bet on our round 2 fortunes and secure our future o linemen.

Jonah Williams is the Best Lineman we have and is part of our core.. He's young too... No thanks.. This would be dumb.. No way am I giving a 1st up either..
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2021, 02:07 AM)NotBigzo Wrote: Og played 11 games at RT and two at LT in Whits final year.

You're right, I thought that Whitworth left after 2015, Cedric's rookie year. He left in 2016 where Ogbuehi logged significant playtime. 
Reply/Quote