Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tin Foil Hat time....Apple and Mixon
(01-10-2023, 01:27 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Multiple decades.

I just believe that these are emotional impressions people have with little basis in reality. Quite literally every single fanbase believes the NFL is out to get their teams.

Go to any message board, esp GDTs and you will see every one of them complaining that the refs are against them.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 01:57 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Go to any message board, esp GDTs and you will see every one of them complaining that the refs are against them.

See if you can discern who does not belong, and has no right to be on the field, let alone in the Bengals huddle and then remember who got flagged....

[Image: porter_field.0.0.jpeg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: porter-bengals-e1452433757759.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: See if you can discern who does not belong, and has no right to be on the field, let alone in the Bengals huddle and then remember who got flagged....

[Image: porter_field.0.0.jpeg]

True. He doesn't belong there. 

TBS, if Pacman doesn't fly into the back of a referee, there's no reason to throw a flag and the play resumes without the penalty. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: True. He doesn't belong there. 

TBS, if Pacman doesn't fly into the back of a referee, there's no reason to throw a flag and the play resumes without the penalty. 

Pac barely brushed the ref on his way by. That said, I have no problem with the flag on Jones, but I have yet to hear an explanation why this ref and umpire did not flag Porter. That was a set up from the get go.
Reply/Quote
I don't think trivial stuff that doesn't resonate outside a local market has any impact on officiating. And I certainly don't think Goodell calls up the refs and says, "I don't like it so these guys are going down, see?"

What happens is that the refs are human. They hear the media buzz around every NFL team and that naturally affects what they're looking for and how they perceive what they see. The Steelers are an awesome, uber-talented team that plays tough, clean, hard-nosed football while the Bengals are a bunch of losers who play dirty was the media narrative for a long, long time.

These narratives absolutely affect what gets called and what doesn't.

Now the media would love to rebuild that narrative about the Bengals. They know that Burrow has absolutely everything to be the next top star in the NFL. They could build him up with the Bengals ala Mahomes with the Chiefs but it would be sooo much better if they could just keep the Bengals frustrated and get him to move to one of the existing large fan bases. That was their obvious goal even before Burrow was drafted. That's what they'd like to see now.

The Bengals are going to have to earn respect from the media and the NFL every step of the way. Any stupid behavior is not going to be excused or overlooked until they've won a SB or at least multiple AFCCs.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 01:31 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Wait I've been a member here since 2017.   Since then I've seen people here claim the NFL hates the Bengals and is out to get them many times.  So what's changed?   Or is it the NFL is out to get them and hates them even more now?   So they are really, really going to get them this time.    Tongue   Ninja

Double Secret Probation

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 11:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: You might want to get used to the fact right now that the league will have the refs ready to screw us at the first opportunity. Goodell is PISSED at the Bengals and the Bills. Moreso at the Bengals it seems, though I don't know why.

If he is pissed it’s obvious why. The league wanted the game to be resumed that night. We know that now, basically confirmed. It’s understanding the bills wouldn’t play. All it took was the Bengals to say “we’re ready to go” and the nfl could have deemed it a forfeit and skip over all this chaos that happened. The bengals played hard ball and said we’re also not playing.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 11:36 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: [Image: 200w.gif?cid=ecf05e470tg3gmod96ojbkhpbd2...w.gif&ct=g]

Hilarious, and also pretty accurate lol  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 01:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Ditto. 

"The NFL wants..." is so old and played out. How many times did i read that the NFL wanted Pitt in the playoffs, then they were eliminated when Miami kicked a GWFG. 

So then, the NFL only hires referees that are crooked and willing to make calls that affect every NFL game? 

C'mon man.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

The NFL DOES want their prized teams in the playoffs. That is why they screwed the Green Bay Packers and had Detroit beat them so they could have the Seahawks instead. Who wants Aaron Rodgers and the Packers when you can have Geno Smith and Seattle in the playoffs.  Ninja

P.S. Who wants the Pittsburgh Steelers when you can have the Miami Dolphins in the playoffs? The NFL is fixed. 

[Image: 58668a745e52ce3981b741b7d6ef2527.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:04 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: You have no idea what you are talking about.

The NFL DOES want their prized teams in the playoffs. That is why they screwed the Green Bay Packers and had Detroit beat them so they could have the Seahawks instead. Who wants Aaron Rodgers and the Packers when you can have Geno Smith and Seattle in the playoffs.  Ninja

P.S. Who wants the Pittsburgh Steelers when you can have the Miami Dolphins in the playoffs? The NFL is fixed. 

[Image: 58668a745e52ce3981b741b7d6ef2527.jpg]

Can't beat a Dolphins team on their 3rd QB, having lost 5 of the last 6. 

Championship!

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 03:52 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Double Secret Probation
Actual footage of Goodell speaking about the Bengals, before the Competition Committee vote....

[Image: 658edc0487c83e72446ba5da431270de.gif]

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
There are other reasons besides conspiracies for both bad officiating AND for biased officiating.

Bad reffing can be simple incompetence. The refs should be professionals not amateurs, with extensive training and testing and also accountability - too many blown calls and you're fired. And the unfortunate fact of the vague nature of some of the rules does not help as it makes many MAJOR flags essentially judgement calls (See DPI).

And yes there is biased officiating. To deny it is not to live in the real world. The NFL is notorious for referees favoring certain players and yes teams, and also has the "home cooking" phenomenon where some teams get calls in their home stadiums. The Cowboys are a notable example going back decades.

The refs Sunday WERE atrocious. They seemed to be sleep walking and missed a lot of garbage from the Rats (Two Facemasks, a late hit, a defenseless receiver, the attack on Carman). While the Carman attack one is a bit foggy the rest were big issues because they are black and white player safety rules and not ambiguous yet the refs missed them despite the fouls happening right in front of them.

The Rats were pretty clearly headhunting and the refs should have issued a warning early on. I think that is why ZT was so incensed.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:34 PM)Joelist Wrote: There are other reasons besides conspiracies for both bad officiating AND for biased officiating.

Bad reffing can be simple incompetence. The refs should be professionals not amateurs, with extensive training and testing and also accountability - too many blown calls and you're fired. And the unfortunate fact of the vague nature of some of the rules does not help as it makes many MAJOR flags essentially judgement calls (See DPI).

And yes there is biased officiating. To deny it is not to live in the real world. The NFL is notorious for referees favoring certain players and yes teams, and also has the "home cooking" phenomenon where some teams get calls in their home stadiums. The Cowboys are a notable example going back decades.

The refs Sunday WERE atrocious. They seemed to be sleep walking and missed a lot of garbage from the Rats (Two Facemasks, a late hit, a defenseless receiver, the attack on Carman). While the Carman attack one is a bit foggy the rest were big issues because they are black and white player safety rules and not ambiguous yet the refs missed them despite the fouls happening right in front of them.

The Rats were pretty clearly headhunting and the refs should have issued a warning early on. I think that is why ZT was so incensed.

All true, sure would be nice to hire some professional referees without bias that are paid well and held accountable.

The poor refereeing from these amateurs just takes away from the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All true, sure would be nice to hire some professional referees without bias that are paid well and held accountable.

The poor refereeing from these amateurs just takes away from the game.

You would think that with the huge player salaries and such the league has the funds to pay the officials enough so that this is their sole job, train them properly and make them accountable. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:16 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Actual footage of Goodell speaking about the Bengals, before the Competition Committee vote....

[Image: 658edc0487c83e72446ba5da431270de.gif]

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

I recognize that guy in your picture. He starred in Walker Texas Ranger.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: You would think that with the huge player salaries and such the league has the funds to pay the officials enough so that this is their sole job, train them properly and make them accountable. 

Oh, they got the money. The question is if the league wants to be accountable which I don't know if they do after the coin flip ordeal.

They gave us the big bird and we gave it right back to them, we will see how this all goes down.

But yes sir Joelist, we need refs where their sole job is being refs, none of this on the side shit.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:41 PM)Joelist Wrote: You would think that with the huge player salaries and such the league has the funds to pay the officials enough so that this is their sole job, train them properly and make them accountable. 

You guys see Seattle had some awful calls go their way?
Reply/Quote
The very first thing to do is make the referee do a post game press conference and answer questions. Put them on the spot, and maybe they'll perform better. Right now they just run off the field and don't have to answer to anyone.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 05:46 PM)packerbacker Wrote: You guys see Seattle had some awful calls go their way?

They got some calls but I'm talking about the refs missing blatant player safety infractions right in front of their eyes. Late hits, facemasks, hit on defenseless receiver, etc.).
Reply/Quote