Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinnitus
Anyone? I can't hear you, literally. 

I've been living with this progressive hearing loss for so many years. Nothing but ringing constantly, which, I could deal with in my younger years with things like white noise, music, or a fan would block it out enough to take away my thoughts about it. I'm 57 now and the ring is getting unbearable. It's always been a distraction but now it's getting to the point of robbing my concentration and quality of life. My hearing is getting so bad that when someone speaks to me I often think I heard one thing, but they said something else. My wife (God bless her heart for putting up with it) has to put up with me listening to the TV loudly, while still asking her, "What did He/She say?" 

The ringing is similar to a heart monitor when someone's heart stops beating but at a high pitch. It never stops. 24/7, 365. 

Does anyone else deal with this? Does hearing aids help at all? My wife keeps saying to get some because I always mishear her. I've had the same issue at work, so bad that I finally stopped trying to fake what I understood and started saying I didn't hear it or didn't get it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Go to a doctor you stubborn old man. Asking here isn't going to help. Swallow the pride and seek help.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2024, 12:46 PM)Stewy Wrote: Go to a doctor you stubborn old man.  Asking here isn't going to help.  Swallow the pride and seek help.

Oh, I know I have to. I’m curious how others cope.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2024, 12:58 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Oh, I know I have to. I’m curious how others cope.

Tinnitus? Is he any relation to Biggus Dickus?

[Image: biggus-dickus.png]

But seriously, I get it too and it is getting worse. No answers here, however.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
35 years old. Not terribly bad right now but it's there. Old man had it as well. Concerning as hearing/listening are pretty essential for my profession. Not sure if there is much to do about it though.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 10:14 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: 35 years old. Not terribly bad right now but it's there. Old man had it as well. Concerning as hearing/listening are pretty essential for my profession. Not sure if there is much to do about it though.

I'm surprised there is not a cure for this by now. Sure, there are a lot of fake remedies online, but it's a gift that keeps giving. There are things that are related to Tinnitus like sleep apnea, heart disease, weight, etc. But these are only things that can help slightly improve the condition when treated. 
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2024, 12:58 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Oh, I know I have to. I’m curious how others cope.

Yours is far worse than mine.  I survive on white noise, fans and a white noise maker in our bedroom.  
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 12:30 PM)Stewy Wrote: Yours is far worse than mine.  I survive on white noise, fans and a white noise maker in our bedroom.  

My poor wife. The other day we were watching a show and I had the volume at 100% on the streaming box, and I was having issues hearing so I went to turn up the TV and it was on 93 out of a hundred. I just looked at her and said, I think I'm about all out of volume options. HAHA. She chuckled and said "Babe, one of these days you're going to be forced to get those hearing aids." Which, TBH, I'm way past due. So much so that if she were ever to part ways from working for the schools, she would make one hellova play-by-play announcer.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 01:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My poor wife. The other day we were watching a show and I had the volume at 100% on the streaming box, and I was having issues hearing so I went to turn up the TV and it was on 93 out of a hundred. I just looked at her and said, I think I'm about all out of volume options. HAHA. She chuckled and said "Babe, one of these days you're going to be forced to get those hearing aids." Which, TBH, I'm way past due. So much so that if she were ever to part ways from working for the schools, she would make one hellova play-by-play announcer.  Smirk

Even think about close captioning? I know I go that route if I want to watch something in the middle of the night without disturbing anyone?
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 02:03 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Even think about close captioning? I know I go that route if I want to watch something in the middle of the night without disturbing anyone?

What exactly is closed captioning? Do you mean subtitles? If so, I have tried that and sometimes it's ok, sometimes its not. Hard to explain how that is.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 02:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What exactly is closed captioning? Do you mean subtitles? If so, I have tried that and sometimes it's ok, sometimes its not. Hard to explain how that is.

Yes.

No worries.

We are all falling apart.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 02:10 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Yes.

No worries.

We are all falling apart.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=15469869]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 02:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: tenor.gif?itemid=15469869]

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 01:12 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: My poor wife. The other day we were watching a show and I had the volume at 100% on the streaming box, and I was having issues hearing so I went to turn up the TV and it was on 93 out of a hundred. I just looked at her and said, I think I'm about all out of volume options. HAHA. She chuckled and said "Babe, one of these days you're going to be forced to get those hearing aids." Which, TBH, I'm way past due. So much so that if she were ever to part ways from working for the schools, she would make one hellova play-by-play announcer.  Smirk

My 81 year old dad just got the tiniest hearing aids I've ever seen. You literally have to look for them to notice them. He says they've worked wonders. He's had the same problems you're describing for as long as I can remember. Look into em man. Talking with him yesterday was night and day difference.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 04:37 PM)jason Wrote: My 81 year old dad just got the tiniest hearing aids I've ever seen. You literally have to look for them to notice them. He says they've worked wonders. He's had the same problems you're describing for as long as I can remember. Look into em man. Talking with him yesterday was night and day difference.

Man, that's pretty hopeful news. I'm sure it does nothing for the ringing tho. But, regardless if the ringing will always be there or not, it would be nice not to hurt my wife's hearing while being stubborn. I think my biggest fear of hearing aids is making the ringing even louder than it is. If I wear ear protection, the ringing becomes much louder.  Possibly because any other noise is a distraction.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2024, 07:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Man, that's pretty hopeful news. I'm sure it does nothing for the ringing tho. But, regardless if the ringing will always be there or not, it would be nice not to hurt my wife's hearing while being stubborn. I think my biggest fear of hearing aids is making the ringing even louder than it is. If I wear ear protection, the ringing becomes much louder.  Possibly because any other noise is a distraction.

I think they've helped the ringing with him. He damaged his hearing from years of shooting rifles with no ear protection.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2024, 11:17 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Anyone? I can't hear you, literally. 

I've been living with this progressive hearing loss for so many years. Nothing but ringing constantly, which, I could deal with in my younger years with things like white noise, music, or a fan would block it out enough to take away my thoughts about it. I'm 57 now and the ring is getting unbearable. It's always been a distraction but now it's getting to the point of robbing my concentration and quality of life. My hearing is getting so bad that when someone speaks to me I often think I heard one thing, but they said something else. My wife (God bless her heart for putting up with it) has to put up with me listening to the TV loudly, while still asking her, "What did He/She say?" 

The ringing is similar to a heart monitor when someone's heart stops beating but at a high pitch. It never stops. 24/7, 365. 

Does anyone else deal with this? Does hearing aids help at all? My wife keeps saying to get some because I always mishear her. I've had the same issue at work, so bad that I finally stopped trying to fake what I understood and started saying I didn't hear it or didn't get it.

I've been dealing with this since the summer of 2021. I just went to bed one night and my ears started ringing, which had happened to me a lot of times through the years, but this time was worse and it never went away. I've been using 10 hour long YouTube videos with tinnitus masking sounds to fall asleep every night.

Not sure why this happened, but I assume years of being in rock bands and my stint in the Army may have something to do with it.

I did get hearing aids, but when I didn't get immediate tinnitus relief, I stopped using them. They did help *a little*, but not as much as I'd hoped.

Fwiw, I'm 43 and I really hope and pray it doesn't get worse. That'd mess with my anxiety and panic for sure.

I wish I had an easy answer for you, but I haven't found one yet. I'd definitely look into the YouTube tinnitus maskers though, if you haven't tried them. Let me know and I'll send you the links for those channels.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I cannot comment on what you're experiencing but I do want to offer my well wishes and thoughts. I can only imagine it is worrisome and stressful for you. I'll hope for your good health (and the same for others posting they are going through health issues).
Reply/Quote
I heard that if you had a hooker pee in your ear while also giving you head, that would get rid of it.

Not sure, though. I've been doing it faithfully for 30 years now and I'm not sure it has helped.

I'll keep trying and let you know if I make more progress!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2024, 07:10 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: I heard that if you had a hooker pee in your ear while also giving you head, that would get rid of it.

Not sure, though. I've been doing it faithfully for 30 years now and I'm not sure it has helped.

I'll keep trying and let you know if I make more progress!

I think thats an old ear infection wives tale, or athletes feet thingy. Or putting smoke or tobacco or something else in your ear. Wait, maybe that's bee stings. IDK, what if I was stung in the ear drum? Should I pee in my ear and pack it full of tobacco? Screw it, I'm trying it. See you guys soon when I'm on the Forbes top 10 list.
Reply/Quote