Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tired of Model model?
Perhaps it's time to switch to the Jones model, the Jerry Jones model that is. All while Eliott has been holding out for a huge contract, the Cowboys have signed one of their LBs to a long term deal, and now just gave La'el Collins a 5 year extension. The Collins deal means that their already dominate OL are all under contract through the 2023 season, with Collins and LG Zach Martin both locked up through 2024.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cowboys-lael-collins-agree-to-long-term-extension-through-2024/ar-AAGKc7S?ocid=spartanntp

Perhaps it's time for the Bengals front office to focus more on the fundamental building blocks of a team, like OL and LBs? Most of the time, the team that blocks and tackles better is going to win the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
As good as that OL has been the last few years they haven’t done much in the postseason.

Contrary to what some here believe it actually takes more than a dominant OL to win football games...

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 11:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps it's time to switch to the Jones model, the Jerry Jones model that is.  All while Eliott has been holding out for a huge contract, the Cowboys have signed one of their LBs to a long term deal, and now just gave La'el Collins a 5 year extension.  The Collins deal means that their already dominate OL are all under contract through the 2023 season, with Collins and LG Zach Martin both locked up through 2024.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/cowboys-lael-collins-agree-to-long-term-extension-through-2024/ar-AAGKc7S?ocid=spartanntp

Perhaps it's time for the Bengals front office to focus more on the fundamental building blocks of a team, like OL and LBs?  Most of the time, the team that blocks and tackles better is going to win the game.

Oh how ready I am  :andy:

Stop all the 1st round CB's and build the trenches ! Oh how I miss the 80's and watching the Oline blow the D 5 yards downfield on every running play. Pull up some video and watch it if you don't believe me.
Reply/Quote
Jerry Jones may spend a lot of money but his skill as a GM is no better than Mike Brown's

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 12:03 PM)pally Wrote: Jerry Jones may spend a lot of money but his skill as a GM is no better than Mike Brown's

He’s definitely been too loyal to Jason Garrett.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 11:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Perhaps it's time to switch to the Jones model, the Jerry Jones model that is.  All while Eliott has been holding out for a huge contract, the Cowboys have signed one of their LBs to a long term deal, and now just gave La'el Collins a 5 year extension.  The Collins deal means that their already dominate OL are all under contract through the 2023 season, with Collins and LG Zach Martin both locked up through 2024.

Perhaps it's time for the Bengals front office to focus more on the fundamental building blocks of a team, like OL and LBs?  Most of the time, the team that blocks and tackles better is going to win the game.

You must have loved that draft when we drafted O-line in rounds 1 and 2 and a LB in the third... 2015

It's probably also worth pointing out that the Bengals have spent their last two 1st round picks on O-lineman whilst last year trading for another O-lineman with a top 5 in the team cap number (and trading up again in this year's draft for a 4th lineman). I therefore don't think it's fair to say that they don't value the O-line. I think it's fairer to say they've drafted/recruited badly and that hopefully this year's two recruits go better.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 11:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote:  Perhaps it's time for the Bengals front office to focus more on the fundamental building blocks of a team, like OL and LBs?  Most of the time, the team that blocks and tackles better is going to win the game.

Stupid Bengals.

They NEVER use high draft picks on OL.

Or trade for high paid starting O-linemen.

Or sign a free agent LB who led the league in tackles.
Reply/Quote
Something tells me if this was MB no one outside of the "big 3" would be getting extensions until they were finalized.... He would have been using the need to extend those contracts as an excuse for the last couple years. I believe he used needing to roll over funds for AJ and Dalton in 2012. After their second year in the league.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 12:05 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: You must have loved that draft when we drafted O-line in rounds 1 and 2 and a LB in the third... 2015

It's probably also worth pointing out that the Bengals have spent their last two 1st round picks on O-lineman whilst last year trading for another O-lineman with a top 5 in the team cap number (and trading up again in this year's draft for a 4th lineman). I therefore don't think it's fair to say that they don't value the O-line. I think it's fairer to say they've drafted/recruited badly and that hopefully this year's two recruits go better.

And, what gems they turned out to be..  And they already had Whitworth, who was already willing to keep playing for the Bengals.  Hell, in hindsight, the Bengals would have been much better off had they just admitted the error of drafting Ogbuehi, cutting their losses and paying Whitworth, who is still playing at a high level..

(09-03-2019, 12:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Stupid Bengals.

They NEVER use high draft picks on OL.

Or trade for high paid starting O-linemen.

Or sign a free agent LB who led the league in tackles.

Don't you think it just a bit odd, that in a day and age of failing OL coming out of college, that the Cowboys have found the magic secret to picking the right ones?  They spend about the same picks on OL as the Bengals, but their picks have all seemed to develop well, while the Bengals picks continue to flounder.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

The PFF Unit rankings show this. A lot of teams with Top 10 Offensive Lines and Top 10 LB's make the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 12:05 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: You must have loved that draft when we drafted O-line in rounds 1 and 2 and a LB in the third... 2015

It is a bit of an execution problem with the drafting and I think the small scouting department is the reason why.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 12:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't you think it just a bit odd, that in a day and age of failing OL coming out of college, that the Cowboys have found the magic secret to picking the right ones?  They spend about the same picks on OL as the Bengals, but their picks have all seemed to develop well, while the Bengals picks continue to flounder.

What is your point?

Making the wrong decisions is completely different from ignoring the O-line.

It blows my mind how many people keep making that claim.  In the last 5 years we have used 3 first round picks on O-line and one on CB.  Yet someone has already complained about us using all our first round picks on CBs and none on O-line.  Plus we traded for one of the highest paid starting LTs in the league.
Reply/Quote
I dunno how different the Jones model is to Bengals' current model.
Jones still looks to prioritize his own players, much like the Bengals.

I think the big thing the fans have wanted changed is to go after more marquis outside FAs.
Dallas did this in a way last year via trade for Cooper but they haven't signed any outside FAs to big contracts.
For all we know, Cooper could end up being a 1.5 year rental.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What is your point?

Making the wrong decisions is completely different from ignoring the O-line.

It blows my mind how many people keep making that claim.  In the last 5 years we have used 3 first round picks on O-line and one on CB.  Yet someone has already complained about us using all our first round picks on CBs and none on O-line.  Plus we traded for one of the highest paid starting LTs in the league.

The highest costing person isn't always the best at the job..  They could have also cut loose of the contract, and went after a higher quality tackle, there were a few out there.  But now, for the second year in a row, we have a 1st round OL draft pick that is of no use to the team.

You can call that "bad luck" or whatever you like, but when you combine Price and Williams being damaged goods, with the whiffs that Ogbuehi and Fisher were, that adds up to a lot of crappy talent evaluation.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 12:03 PM)pally Wrote: Jerry Jones may spend a lot of money but his skill as a GM is no better than Mike Brown's

How long has he beem the GM there?  The Herschel Walker trade and 3 SB rings compared to being on the wrong side of the Akili Smith non trade and 0 playoff wins begs to differ.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 12:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The highest costing person isn't always the best at the job..  They could have also cut loose of the contract, and went after a higher quality tackle, there were a few out there.  But now, for the second year in a row, we have a 1st round OL draft pick that is of no use to the team.

You can call that "bad luck" or whatever you like, but when you combine Price and Williams being damaged goods, with the whiffs that Ogbuehi and Fisher were, that adds up to a lot of crappy talent evaluation.

The issue the Bengals keep running into is that they keep trying to get players at a value.
Players who were once good but maybe had a bad year or two, had an injury, etc.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 12:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The issue the Bengals keep running into is that they keep trying to get players at a value.
Players who were once good but maybe had a bad year or two, had an injury, etc.

Sure, everyone likes a genuine bargain, every now and again.  However, the old saying goes "You get what you pay for", for a reason.

Bargain shopping aside, that still doesn't even begin to cover the poor talent evaluation and subsequent whiffing on high round draft picks as a result.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams is not a whiff. He got injured after we took him - it happens. He’ll be back.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 12:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The highest costing person isn't always the best at the job..  They could have also cut loose of the contract, and went after a higher quality tackle, there were a few out there.  But now, for the second year in a row, we have a 1st round OL draft pick that is of no use to the team.

Yep. And one has to wonder if the small player personnel dept is part of the issue. There's a reason that other teams have 2X to 3X the scouts as us.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2019, 01:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Jonah Williams is not a whiff. He got injured after we took him - it happens. He’ll be back.

He is another, in a growing list of Bengal 1st round picks that of little or no reasonable contribution to the team, in their 1st year with the franchise.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote