Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Each His Own
I am not certain about this, but from what I understand, the last minute offer to Jackson, before he left here, is that he would replace Marvin as HC in 2018.

As my thread states, to each his own, and not knowing all the facts just going on what I DO know, or think I know, if it were me, I would have stayed with the Bengals, based on the possibility of getting a SB ring as OC, and then a chance to get one as HC, down the road, especially based upon my track record and the vulnerability I experienced as HC for the Raiders. Not to mention the Browns are farther down the rebuilding process than the Raiders were.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 10:52 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I am not certain about this, but from what I understand, the last minute offer to Jackson, before he left here, is that he would replace Marvin as HC in 2018.  

As my thread states, to each his own, and not knowing all the facts just going on what I DO know, or think I know, if it were me, I would have stayed with the Bengals, based on the possibility of getting a SB ring as OC, and then a chance to get one as HC, down the road, especially based upon my track record and the vulnerability I experienced as HC for the Raiders. Not to mention the Browns are farther down the rebuilding process than the Raiders were.

Hue might just leave Cleveland to come here.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 10:52 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I am not certain about this, but from what I understand, the last minute offer to Jackson, before he left here, is that he would replace Marvin as HC in 2018.  

How do you take a handshake and a promise when it comes to your career?  Things change, there is no absolute guarantee that would have ever happened.

Also, consider the ego it takes to be an NFL Head Coach, the absolute belief in your abilities.  If Hue is able to turn things around, and bring a Super Bowl title to Cleveland, they will build statues to his greatness.
Reply/Quote
From what I read Marvin wanted that but Mike Brown wasnt sold on the idea of Hue taking over and guaranteed nothing like that would happen. So Hue left...
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 11:13 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Also, consider the ego it takes to be an NFL Head Coach, the absolute belief in your abilities.

This.

I seriously doubt there was ever any sort of agreement for Hue to take over for Marvin in 2018.  That just is not the way it works in the NFL.  But even if there was Hue would have rather get credit for building a winner in Cleveland than "ride on Marvin's coattails" here.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I seriously doubt there was ever any sort of agreement for Hue to take over for Marvin in 2018.  That just is not the way it works in the NFL.  But even if there was Hue would have rather get credit for building a winner in Cleveland than "ride on Marvin's coattails" here.

That is not how it works almost anywhere.  What happens if Marvin wins two Super Bowls and decides he does not want to retire, Katie has full control of the team and decides she wants someone else, the offense slips and Hue is no longer a hot commodity.  The reasons why any deal like that could fall apart, assuming it was even offered, are endless.

If you're Hue, you take advantage of the opportunities that are in front of you.
Reply/Quote
Not sold on Hue as HC.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 12:03 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Not sold on Hue as HC.

He will need more than 7 games to prove that he belongs in that capacity. Hell, he's lost almost as many QBs as he has games. Let's see where they're at this time next year, after given the time to incorporate his system, and how well they draft plus any significant free agent moves. I doubt many would argue against starting out in Cleveland isn't the best launch point. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 12:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: He will need more than 7 games to prove that he belongs in that capacity. Hell, he's lost almost as many QBs as he has games. Let's see where they're at this time next year, after given the time to incorporate his system, and how well they draft plus any significant free agent moves. I doubt many would argue against starting out in Cleveland isn't the best launch point. 

This.

I am not going to rip Hue for what happens in Cleveland this year, but I am also not going to praise him as a great head coach who would be better than Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 11:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hue might just leave Cleveland to come here.....

This has crossed my mind. Say Marv finally steps down in 2018 and Hue is unhappy in Cleveland or gets fired. It's still a possibility.

(10-28-2016, 12:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: He will need more than 7 games to prove that he belongs in that capacity. Hell, he's lost almost as many QBs as he has games. Let's see where they're at this time next year, after given the time to incorporate his system, and how well they draft plus any significant free agent moves. I doubt many would argue against starting out in Cleveland isn't the best launch point. 

Yeah, just look at Zimmer and Gruden's first years, and Hue stepped into a worse sitch than either of those guys. It's looking like Hue will get a shot to pick a franchise QB next year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 11:24 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: That is not how it works almost anywhere.  What happens if Marvin wins two Super Bowls and decides he does not want to retire, Katie has full control of the team and decides she wants someone else, the offense slips and Hue is no longer a hot commodity.  The reasons why any deal like that could fall apart, assuming it was even offered, are endless.

If you're Hue, you take advantage of the opportunities that are in front of you.

"If Marvin wins 2 super bowls"  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 01:13 PM)740Bengal Wrote: "If Marvin wins 2 super bowls"  Hilarious

Yeah, made me think for a second myself. Dude cannot out coach any Playoff coaches so far.

He will need all he can get from the players and then some to just get us a Playoff win.

Once we run into a Belichick or Kubiak we will lose.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 01:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, made me think for a second myself. Dude cannot out coach any Playoff coaches so far.

He will need all he can get from the players and then some to just get us a Playoff win.

Once we run into a Belichick or Kubiak we will lose.

You seem to have a real love affair with Kubiak.  In the other thread you said that Tomlin inherited Cowher's players for his first Super Bowl.  What do you think Kubiak did?
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I am not going to rip Hue for what happens in Cleveland this year, but I am also not going to praise him as a great head coach who would be better than Marvin.

it will be interesting given the current state of the browns...  if Cleveland makes a coaching change at the end of the year.. That does seem their norm..    You could give hue a pass as his starters got hurt @ QB or you could ponder why his 1-2 QB were RGIII and McCown to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 01:25 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: You seem to have a real love affair with Kubiak.  In the other thread you said that Tomlin inherited Cowher's players for his first Super Bowl.  What do you think Kubiak did?

Kubiak is 7-0 against Marv, including 5-0 with Texans teams he built.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 01:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Kubiak is 7-0 against Marv, including 5-0 with Texans teams he built.

With the exception of Harbaugh, I would guess most of the upper tier coaches have a really good record against Marv...
Reply/Quote
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17834094/marvin-lewis-wanted-hue-jackson-succeed-head-coach-cincinnati-bengals

Here's the real story, where Jackson explains why he didn't stay in Cincinnati and take over after Lewis.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 10:52 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I am not certain about this, but from what I understand, the last minute offer to Jackson, before he left here, is that he would replace Marvin as HC in 2018.   As my thread states, to each his own, and not knowing all the facts just going on what I DO know, or think I know, if it were me, I would have stayed with the Bengals, based on the possibility of getting a SB ring as OC, and then a chance to get one as HC, down the road, especially based upon my track record and the vulnerability I experienced as HC for the Raiders. Not to mention the Browns are farther down the rebuilding process than the Raiders were.

Who knows how this roster will look in 2 years? A lot of the key guys have been in the league 5-6-7 years. In 2 years that will be 7, 8, 9 years.

There haven't really been a bunch of great young guys coming in through the draft in the past 2-3 years or so. We might be in full rebuilding mode then too.

It's hard to say.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 11:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

There were talks about Hue taking over for Marvin. However, there was no timetable or anything. It was discussed.

But there was no agreement nor time table.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 01:47 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: With the exception of Harbaugh, I would guess most of the upper tier coaches have a really good record against Marv...

Maybe so, but not many are undefeated in that many games against Marv. Not Tomlin, not Belichick, not Reid, not Carroll, not Fox, not McCarthy, not Sean Payton.

Kubiak's record against Marv is really impressive, and I think that's why Nate brought him up. That's all I was saying.
Reply/Quote