Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Each His Own
(10-28-2016, 01:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17834094/marvin-lewis-wanted-hue-jackson-succeed-head-coach-cincinnati-bengals

Here's the real story, where Jackson explains why he didn't stay in Cincinnati and take over after Lewis.

Thanks for clearing it up SB.  Speculation is a moot point now.  If the article is truthful, no reason to think otherwise, Hue didn't take it for a reason probably no one here thought about.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 02:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe so, but not many are undefeated in that many games against Marv. Not Tomlin, not Belichick, not Reid, not Carroll, not Fox, not McCarthy, not Sean Payton.

Kubiak's record against Marv is really impressive, and I think that's why Nate brought him up. That's all I was saying.

Tomlin: 5-14 (3-6 with Dalton)
Belichik: 1-5 (1-1 with Dalton)
Reid: 3-0-1 (2-0 with Dalton)
Carroll: 2-0 (2-0 with Dalton)
Fox: 2-3 ( 1-3 with Dalton
McCarthy: 2-0 (1-0 with Dalton)
Payton: 2-1 (1-0 with Dalton)

So combined record of 17-23-1 against those premiere coaches.
Dalton is 11-10 against those coaches.

If you throw in Kubiak: 0-7 (Dalton is 0-3)
Harbaugh: 11-7 (Dalton is 5-4)

So that's a combined record of 28-37-1
Dalton is 16-17 against those coaches.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I get why neither Hue or Mike wanted to do this. Hue wanted to coach right away and Mike wanted the freedom to pick his own coach.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 02:29 PM)wolfkaosau Wrote: Tomlin: 5-14 (3-6 with Dalton)
Belichik: 1-5 (1-1 with Dalton)
Reid: 3-0-1 (2-0 with Dalton)
Carroll: 2-0 (2-0 with Dalton)
Fox: 2-3 ( 1-3 with Dalton
McCarthy: 2-0 (1-0 with Dalton)
Payton: 2-1 (1-0 with Dalton)

So combined record of 17-23-1 against those premiere coaches.
Dalton is 11-10 against those coaches.

If you throw in Kubiak: 0-7 (Dalton is 0-3)
Harbaugh: 11-7 (Dalton is 5-4)

So that's a combined record of 28-37-1
Dalton is 16-17 against those coaches.

This isn't really going against anything I'm saying. 17-23 against these other coaches is at least somewhat competitive. 0-7 is embarrassing. Kubiak owns Marvin more than any other coach. I agree that Marv isn't good against most quality coaches, I was just trying to explain why (I think) Nate brought up Kubiak...and Belichick. Those are the 2 coaches that own Marv the most.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 10:52 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: As my thread states, to each his own, and not knowing all the facts just going on what I DO know, or think I know, if it were me, I would have stayed with the Bengals, based on the possibility of getting a SB ring as OC

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 02:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This isn't really going against anything I'm saying. 17-23 against these other coaches is at least somewhat competitive. 0-7 is embarrassing. Kubiak owns Marvin more than any other coach. I agree that Marv isn't good against most quality coaches, I was just trying to explain why (I think) Nate brought up Kubiak...and Belichick. Those are the 2 coaches that own Marv the most.

Oh I wasn't arguing or anything. Just adding numbers to the discussion to be honest.

Plus, I did it out of my own curiosity. A little surprised Marvin has a winning record against 4 Super Bowl head coaches.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 11:13 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: How do you take a handshake and a promise when it comes to your career?  Things change, there is no absolute guarantee that would have ever happened.

Also, consider the ego it takes to be an NFL Head Coach, the absolute belief in your abilities.  If Hue is able to turn things around, and bring a Super Bowl title to Cleveland, they will build statues to his greatness.

Right, I left my last job because they "promised" what the new job was about to give me immediately, in 6 months.

Do not operate on a promise, operate on year to year and be happy with what you have right now.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 01:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, made me think for a second myself. Dude cannot out coach any Playoff coaches so far.

He will need all he can get from the players and then some to just get us a Playoff win.

Once we run into a Belichick or Kubiak we will lose.

[Image: 2483cd11796ad018238b37c0cd11198684b6290f...7495c4.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hue may regret going to Cleveland. That city has a way to end football careers. However, they are great in the NBA and MLB.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 04:23 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Hue may regret going to Cleveland. That city has a way to end football careers. However, they are great in the NBA and MLB.

Still, Hue is an NFL HC and that's a position that requires a big ego. Also, imagine him being the HC if/when the Browns turn around and become a good team. Hue would probably be elected Mayor of that city.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The thread was about Hue Jackson wondering why he chose the Browns HC over the Bengals promise.

Hue has answered that in the post that SB posted.

No need to continue this thread.  Shut her down mods and save some bandwith!!
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 10:52 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I am not certain about this, but from what I understand, the last minute offer to Jackson, before he left here, is that he would replace Marvin as HC in 2018.  

As my thread states, to each his own, and not knowing all the facts just going on what I DO know, or think I know, if it were me, I would have stayed with the Bengals, based on the possibility of getting a SB ring as OC, and then a chance to get one as HC, down the road, especially based upon my track record and the vulnerability I experienced as HC for the Raiders. Not to mention the Browns are farther down the rebuilding process than the Raiders were.

It's a shame Hue got stuck with the Browns, but it's his own doing.  I mean RGIII?  That in itself was a suicidal move.  They're on their 3rd QB now?   Imagine if that was us.  Yikes.

If I could've had my pick to succeed ML, it would've been Zimmer, Gruden, then Hue.  It's a silly dream though as Lewis is never leaving because he truly believes he can bring a winner to Cincy, even though though history stands staunchly against him.  MB loves him and there's plenty of apologists that constantly remind us that there is no better option out there as if they have some crystal ball that tells them so.  So, the fan base is at least partially complacent and that's good enough for MB.

Hue knows this so there's no point in agreeing to a silly handshake deal that would probably never materialize.  Why not just make it 2021?  What's the difference?

As for Hue taking on the Brown HC job, that could be career suicide unless you're Bellchick.  I wish him the best but Cleveland is a death sentence.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
eff hue...I hope he burns in that dumpster fire of a franchise
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 12:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: He will need more than 7 games to prove that he belongs in that capacity. Hell, he's lost almost as many QBs as he has games. Let's see where they're at this time next year, after given the time to incorporate his system, and how well they draft plus any significant free agent moves. I doubt many would argue against starting out in Cleveland isn't the best launch point. 
What he is doing in Cleveland has nothing to do with my opinion. 

Just think he is too gimmicky and puts his QBs at unnecessary risks. 
Like him but just do not think he is HC material. Believe he is a great assistant coach though. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 10:52 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I am not certain about this, but from what I understand, the last minute offer to Jackson, before he left here, is that he would replace Marvin as HC in 2018.  

As my thread states, to each his own, and not knowing all the facts just going on what I DO know, or think I know, if it were me, I would have stayed with the Bengals, based on the possibility of getting a SB ring as OC, and then a chance to get one as HC, down the road, especially based upon my track record and the vulnerability I experienced as HC for the Raiders. Not to mention the Browns are farther down the rebuilding process than the Raiders were.

I might be playing devil's advocate, but what is it that makes the Bengals an attractive place to take a lesser job and/or a pay cut (for players) to get a SB ring?  We made it as far as the Vikings, the DC Squad, and the Texans last year and I don't hear anyone claiming people should go to those teams for the chance to get a ring.

I get the optimism, but I just see people legitimately baffled when players/coaches leave Cincy because we're going to clearly win it all any second now.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2016, 11:19 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I might be playing devil's advocate, but what is it that makes the Bengals an attractive place to take a lesser job and/or a pay cut (for players) to get a SB ring?  We made it as far as the Vikings, the DC Squad, and the Texans last year and I don't hear anyone claiming people should go to those teams for the chance to get a ring.

I get the optimism, but I just see people legitimately baffled when players/coaches leave Cincy because we're going to clearly win it all any second now.
The key word you have highlighted N is 'possibility'.  That word does not apply to the Browns ... at least not in the foreseeable future and with the Browns tendency to change coaches, Hue could very well be gone before that possibility arises for them.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2016, 04:23 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Hue may regret going to Cleveland. That city has a way to end football careers. However, they are great in the NBA and MLB.

Hue has $25-30 million reasons not to regret that decision.
Reply/Quote
Maybe the plan is to let Hue get fired once more then bring him back once more as the HC this time around to make Cleveland look dumber than they are. It's not as if Mikey has a love affair with Cleveland..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2016, 06:56 PM)grampahol Wrote: Maybe the plan is to let Hue get fired once more then bring him back once more as the HC this time around to make Cleveland look dumber than they are. It's not as if Mikey has a love affair with Cleveland..

Mike Brown:  he's three steps ahead of all of us.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote