Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To anyone that coaches or played o line…
Would a rotation at RT be plausible? Not many teams have 2-3 starting caliber guys at RT. I cannot imagine a healthy Collins or Williams just not playing at all. Could we see maybe a snap split where attempt to get Collins more run block snaps and Jonah pass black snaps? This would look INSANE in an actual game because to throw defenses off your wanna switch these guys OFTEN, so they’d be running on and off the field ALOT.

I’m obviously not saying run every time Collins is in and pass every time Williams is in. That’d be stupid. But could we create a way to use both and at least TRY and get the majority of Collins snaps on runs and the majority of Jonah’s stats on passes?

Idk. Just don’t see both those guys getting healthy and one not playing. At that point trade a guy or something. Maybe try and put out feelers for nose tackles via trade.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
You lose some chemistry on the offensive line with rotations like that

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Imtnot a coach by any means, but i think the best of the three starts and ghe next is swing/extra on heavy sets. If carman doesn’t quite work out at RT, I think he is more than capable of being the 6th OL.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 08:59 AM)Housh Wrote: Would a rotation at RT be plausible? Not many teams have 2-3 starting caliber guys at RT. I cannot imagine a healthy Collins or Williams just not playing at all. Could we see maybe a snap split where attempt to get Collins more run block snaps and Jonah pass black snaps? This would look INSANE in an actual game because to throw defenses off your wanna switch these guys OFTEN, so they’d be running on and off the field ALOT.

I’m obviously not saying run every time Collins is in and pass every time Williams is in. That’d be stupid. But could we create a way to use both and at least TRY and get the majority of Collins snaps on runs and the majority of Jonah’s stats on passes?

Idk. Just don’t see both those guys getting healthy and one not playing. At that point trade a guy or something. Maybe try and put out feelers for nose tackles via trade.

(06-07-2023, 09:07 AM)pally Wrote: You lose some chemistry on the offensive line with rotations like that

Rotating no but spelling would be a good thing.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Think it would be bad for chemistry as well.

Let the best man play.

Could have an incredible jumbo package for short yardage plays if Zac choose's to unleash it though.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:19 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Think it would be bad for chemistry as well.

Let the best man play.

Could have an incredible jumbo package for short yardage plays if Zac choose's to unleash it though.

Agree

I'm not so sure I like the idea of a true rotation on Oline? Getting some snaps in for whoever isn't a starter here and there, sure.
Reply/Quote
I agree that rotating OL like defensive linemen do is not a good idea. In order to function well and execute as a complete unit, like all 5 digits on the hand, the continuity and unity developed from hundreds and thousands of repetitions next to each other are essential. I can tell you from experience that knowing exactly how the player next to you moves, knowing his timing on pulls, double teams, traps, etc. is vital to well orchestrated execution.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Under Marvin, I remember there were times we'd see a rotation on a drive-by-drive basis.
Not sure if something like that would make sense for this situation, but maybe it would.

I'd also be ok with seeing someone (maybe Carman) used often as a 6th OL and placed at the right side just to get essentially that RT experience without being the official full-time RT every game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'll have to research, but I think that used to be a method of bringing in plays before the mic in the helmet. I read/heard somewhere talking about rotating RTs.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 10:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree that rotating OL like defensive linemen do is not a good idea.  In order to function well and execute as a complete unit, like all 5 digits on the hand, the continuity and unity developed from hundreds and thousands of repetitions next to each other are essential.  I can tell you from experience that knowing exactly how the player next to you moves, knowing his timing on pulls, double teams, traps, etc. is vital to well orchestrated execution.

What Sunset said. No to rotating Offensive Lineman. Have your best 5 starting and gelling as much as possible.

I do like the thought of some Jumbo packages at times though for damn sure with Carman and LC on the right side.

Good luck not being blown up by that in the run game...Twitch
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 04:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll have to research, but I think that used to be a method of bringing in plays before the mic in the helmet. I read/heard somewhere talking about rotating RTs.

It was actually Guards and it was our very own Paul Brown who did it.
Paul Brown and his lasting influence on the NFL (fansided.com)

Quote:Brown was also the first coach to call plays from the sideline, using messenger guards and the first radio earpiece for his quarterback, Otto Graham.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I suspect if it was a practical idea, teams would be doing it.
Reply/Quote
(06-07-2023, 08:59 AM)Housh Wrote: Would a rotation at RT be plausible? Not many teams have 2-3 starting caliber guys at RT. I cannot imagine a healthy Collins or Williams just not playing at all. Could we see maybe a snap split where attempt to get Collins more run block snaps and Jonah pass black snaps? This would look INSANE in an actual game because to throw defenses off your wanna switch these guys OFTEN, so they’d be running on and off the field ALOT.

Did you watch the 2009 season?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 08:53 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I suspect if it was a practical idea, teams would be doing it.

That’s what I’m assuming

To really throw teams off you’d have to have lineman running on and off the field every play then you’d have to pay attention to every play because you’d still want to run and pass with both of them
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2023, 09:52 AM)Housh Wrote: That’s what I’m assuming

To really throw teams off you’d have to have lineman running on and off the field every play then you’d have to pay attention to every play because you’d still want to run and pass with both of them

Which would cause a lot of miscommunication and it would complicate things leading to penalties all over the place for the Offense.

Just not a good idea, keep it simple with your main starters working and gelling together.

We can use the Jumbo packages to get the other guys some snaps at times though.
Reply/Quote