Poll: Soak the beans or not?
Soak
No soak
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To soak or not to soak
dried beans?  

I bought a thing of 11 bean soup mix and this particular one just has me rinse them before I start. I bought one in the past that wanted me to soak them overnight that I ended up throwing away because after soaking they just looked funny and smelled different to me. I've never made bean soup so this will be a first.  Also any other suggestions, brands of beans, or recipes for Bean soup?  Thanks and I don't mind the gas it will produce as we are used to it with my little CFer ThumbsUp
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
By soak I assume you mean overnight?

My mom used to soak them overnight, but I could not tell the difference between the overnight soak and the method where you bring the beans and water to a boil then turn it off and let them soak for an hour or two.

Don't forget that you have to drain off the water that you soak them in.
Reply/Quote
I'm no bean expert, but my mom claims to be and she insists that you rob the beans of some flavor by soaking them overnight. Right into hot water, she says.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Soaking cuts down on the gas. Does noting else
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 07:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Soaking cuts down on the gas. Does noting else

This.  Why rob yourself of the fun? Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
My only suggestion with beans is to add a couple pounds of beef, some tomato sauce, onion and a lot of spice. Just turn them into chili and you should be good.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 11:21 AM)Benton Wrote: My only suggestion with beans is to add a couple pounds of beef, some tomato sauce, onion and a lot of spice. Just turn them into chili and you should be good.

hes close to 16 bean soup...  I think ham goes real good with that.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2016, 07:14 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Soaking cuts down on the gas. Does noting else

I don't think this is true.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 07:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think this is true.

What else does soaking in water do?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2016, 07:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What else does soaking in water do?

Just makes them cook faster.

When you drain off the water hey soaked in there is some starch it it, but I don't think that has anything to do with farting.
Reply/Quote