Poll: Do you support a team tanking?
Yes way!
No way!
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To tank or not to tank
Bengals should have started tanking a long time ago. We needed to get in that top 5. Keep in mind, it's not only the first round but every single round we pick higher.

Smart teams tank.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 02:11 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: That is the question. I've had and seen discussion around this topic before, but wanted to make it official with a poll. Who thinks we should tank* to get a better draft pick?

*Tanking is not telling the player to "throw a game", rather the FO/staff subbing in AJ for AD, Bell for Tez, etc. You're simply stacking the deck to suck, without telling your players to suck.

I believe the team tanked the season many weeks ago. And if you go back to the off-season, the front office started it by weakening the team before the season even got started.

Everyone and their blind grandmother could see that the OL was deteriorating with Ogbuehi, Fisher and Bodine, so yeah, let's just make it weaker.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
We lose Sunday we get like the eighth pick. It would be poetic justice. Marvin lose to the team that ultimately got him the gig here 15 years ago
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 02:11 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: *Tanking is not telling the player to "throw a game", rather the FO/staff subbing in AJ for AD, Bell for Tez, etc. You're simply stacking the deck to suck, without telling your players to suck.

Can you share some examples of where a NFL team clearly committed to this strategy? I can’t think of one. I think the league would frown on this too, as it devalues the games left on their schedule. I know TV and advertisers would be super pissed.

I think the NFLPA would push back, as it could impact players ability to earn bonuses, and take away opportunities for them to rack up stats - that can further their career.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 07:05 AM)Utts Wrote: Can you share some examples of where a NFL team clearly committed to this strategy? I can’t think of one. I think the league would frown on this too, as it devalues the games left on their schedule. I know TV and advertisers would be super pissed.

I think the NFLPA would push back, as it could impact players ability to earn bonuses, and take away opportunities for them to rack up stats - that can further their career.

Wasn't there a pretty good case of Indy tanking for Luck? 

But as for the OP, I think you should always try to win every game. Sure, play younger guys if you're out of playoff contention. That isn't necessarily "tanking" though, that's just smart personnel decisions.
Reply/Quote
Marvin wants to look good for his future team (even if its for here). He's NOW playing to win.

WTS: Tank. Won't happen though.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2017, 08:19 AM)Takedown Wrote: Marvin wants to look good for his future team (even if its for here). He's NOW playing to win.

WTS: Tank. Won't happen though.

I read yesterday where the XFL may be making a comeback. Maybe he can have a home there?

Reply/Quote
The Bengals tanked on January 9, 2016 and went downhill from there.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 02:11 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: That is the question. I've had and seen discussion around this topic before, but wanted to make it official with a poll. Who thinks we should tank* to get a better draft pick?

*Tanking is not telling the player to "throw a game", rather the FO/staff subbing in AJ for AD, Bell for Tez, etc. You're simply stacking the deck to suck, without telling your players to suck.

Was kind of hoping to lose out after the Bears game to get a higher pick and make sure Marv is not back.

Then we beat the Lions, so eh, might as well beat our rival if it doesn't matter much between the pick.

The draft is a crapshoot and Marv should be gone either way.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2017, 02:11 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: *Tanking is not telling the player to "throw a game", rather the FO/staff subbing in AJ for AD, Bell for Tez, etc. You're simply stacking the deck to suck, without telling your players to suck.

Then they already tanked the past two seasons whether we vote for it or not.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2017, 12:25 PM)Beaker Wrote: Then they already tanked the past two seasons whether we vote for it or not.

Yeah, you'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they really tried to put their best foot forward, but here we are....
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Note the offensive juggernaut that Indianapolis became after tanking to get Andrew Luck..That's really paid off with super bowl wins year after year..
Nah..you play your best or it might be your last game ever..Players still get paid whether the team wins or not, but they don't get paid to lose games so the team can replace them the following season. The only way to get paid to lose is under the table which i have no doubt happens, but you don't do it to draft your replacement. It falls under the category of Keeping your job 101.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

I think we missed that boat when we beat the lions... Might as well Ruin the ravens season now.
Reply/Quote
For all those that said "No Way!", you are at a competitive disadvantage. That shank kick in last year's Texans game was the best thing Fat Randy has ever done. I still think he was told to miss it, judging by the look on Simmons face when he came to the sideline. That was the difference between #9 overall and something like #16 overall. One shank.

Play to evaluate players. Run the same stupid play (most of ours are stupid) over and over to evaluate the strength of the line, etc. But don't play to win.
Reply/Quote
I can’t believe that many people voted to tank a game.

Y’all are embarrassing.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 09:27 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I can’t believe that many people voted to tank a game.

Y’all are embarrassing.

100% agree. Culture drives success.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 09:27 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I can’t believe that many people voted to tank a game.

Y’all are embarrassing.

It’s a fake internet poll lol. Glad to see the prestigious folks came out and put us in our place
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:00 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: It’s a fake internet poll lol. Glad to see the prestigious folks came out and put us in our place

Glad to see the guilty taking it to heart.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 09:27 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I can’t believe that many people voted to tank a game.

Y’all are embarrassing.

Obviously I agree with this 100%. For those saying all we did was cost ourselves 2-4 draft positions I say "Happy New Year and go kick rocks"

We may have accomplished the following in the last 2 games:

Found a LT, LG, RG. Hell even that Perkins kid looked like he belonged at RT

Found our #2 WR in Tyler Boyd

Solidified WJIII as the #1 CB on this team

Had the LB Jordan start to figure it out

Established Tyler Kroft as a legit NFL TE

Now for all the "I hope we lose out types" that will say "We could have done all that and lose out"; I say that these folks will go into the off season knowing they can win and beat playoff caliber teams in the NFL. Instead of facing the off-season with a "we suck" mentality that has affect too many fans. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Beating Baltimore might have turned out to be our game of the year.
Reply/Quote