Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To the "trade down" crowd
(04-24-2020, 11:13 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And they still have SIX picks in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Four 3rds and two 4ths.

Maybe I am wrong, but no QB is starter ready that is left in this draft. Their options are to sign Cam or Winston for big $$$ or trade for Dalton. Dalton is only 1 year contract, but will be cheapest of the options. Pats are in cap hell so money will be a determination. Pats have a Super Bowl ready defense so no way BB sticks with a young Stidham as a starter in my opinion.

Eason and Fromm are a year away from being ready.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 11:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wouldn't trade more than 6-8 spots and only would do that if I was given a pretty solid 3rd rounder (not a late compensatory) in exchange.  If that deal isn't offered, I agree that they should just stay in place and make the pick.

And the great thing is, with all day to prepare, they can have offers compete against each other..."let me get back to you, we have to compare it to other offers...I will call you back in 10 minutes".  I hope they are hearing that a lot.  

And while I am at it...should they trade back and get that additional 3rd rounder, I STILL want the WR here in Rd 2:

In order:

Mims
Claypool
Pittman/Higgins (tie)

Then, hopefully get a LB like Gay, a safety like Dugger or Chinn in Rd 3, and a G like Lewis in Rd 4.

For those of you that say safety is a luxury and not necessary now that we have Bell:  Williams is in his final year of his contract and played most of his snaps at nickel backer.  That is where I envision Dugger or Chinn and both would be tremendous value at that pick.  I sure as hell don't want Dugger at pitt or balt.  We have not had a ballhawking, playmaking safety since Reggie Nelson and he was more of the center fielder like Bates.  Dugger is an absolute stud and I want that alpha on defense.  

If we came away from today's events with Claypool, Gay jr. and Dugger with Lewis still on the board heading in to day 3, I would probably do something crazy like sell a kidney to buy my season tickets back.  

My thought/hope is that there is enough WR talent still that they can wait until Rd 3 (or later) to get a good WR.
Aside from Baun, there isn't a LB worth pick 33, so that can be later too if they don't think Baun fits.
There isn't a great candidate for IOL either, so that can wait.

I think the obvious choice is Josh Jones, as the remaining OTs are a big drop off after him. As Fred said, if the Bengals wanted to stick with Williams and Hart at OT, Jones could play OG.

To me, it's Baun, Jones, or trade back (if you can).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 12:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Maybe I am wrong, but no QB is starter ready that is left in this draft. Their options are to sign Cam or Winston for big $$$ or trade for Dalton. Dalton is only 1 year contract, but will be cheapest of the options. Pats are in cap hell so money will be a determination. Pats have a Super Bowl ready defense so no way BB sticks with a young Stidham as a starter in my opinion.

Excellent point.  But Bill likes to draft 2nd round QBs for the future (Garappolo, Mallet, Brissett).  This time the future may be just one year.

If the Pats don't have cap room to add a veteran QB and you don't think they go with Stidham, then what will they do?
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 12:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My thought/hope is that there is enough WR talent still that they can wait until Rd 3 (or later) to get a good WR.
Aside from Baun, there isn't a LB worth pick 33, so that can be later too if they don't think Baun fits.
There isn't a great candidate for IOL either, so that can wait.

I think the obvious choice is Josh Jones, as the remaining OTs are a big drop off after him. As Fred said, if the Bengals wanted to stick with Williams and Hart at OT, Jones could play OG.

To me, it's Baun, Jones, or trade back (if you can).

I think Jones is the best pick for what we need by far. Get the App State LB in the third round.

You have to do everything possible to protect you prime asset Joe Burrow.

If we cant run the ball and Burrow is getting killed on passing downs the second round WR is useless.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 11:56 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You are totally correct in you have to have a partner.. you are the stats guy so maybe you can find this answer.. how often teams trade out of 1st pick in 2nd round since we went to this draft format.. The reason i believe you have a better chance to trade down now with 33 pick is time.. time for teams to evaluate draft board, how the draft went... especially with teams now not grouped together with the social distancing.. communications and clarity might take more time..

I also see some RB need teams (Seattle/Miami that come to mind) that might want to jump up at 33.. 

It's only happened a few times over the last 10 years. But, a really cool thing I saw the other day were all the teams who stayed and made their picks at #33, only a few of those picks have panned out over the years. Only 1 or 2 picks have made Pro Bowls.

So, I guess what it was saying to me then was if you can find a trade partner, make that trade for an extra pick or picks. Because you're really not missing out on as much as you think you are at that point. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 12:52 PM)bengals67 Wrote:  I think Jones is the best pick for what we need by far. Get the App State LB in the third round.

You have to do everything possible to protect you prime asset Joe Burrow.

If we cant run the ball and Burrow is getting killed on passing downs the second round WR is useless.

Not to mention you have to worry about targets to AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate, John Ross, Joe Mixon, and Gio Bernard. Add in Uzomah or Sample if the Bengals decide to incorporate the TE more as a pass catcher.

It's going to be difficult giving a drafted WR a lot of targets as a rookie. If they do, it means reductions to the others listed, which I'm not sure we want.

Drafting a WR should be more about replacing Green/Ross after this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 10:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is absolutely valid to have the opinion that the best move for the Bengals is to trade down and get an extra pick.  I have suggested they do that at times in the past.  But what we should be saying is that the Bengals should TRY to trade down.  It takes two teams to trade and many times there just is not another team willing to give up a pick to move up.

So it is fine to suggest the Bengals should trade down, but if they don't you really can't criticize them for not doing it because it may not have been possible.

At the TOP in 2 are 2 Safeties, 2 Running Backs and a WR in the Kiper Top 5.   You can bet Kiper is close on that.   

If some team wants to trade up a few spaces to get one of them, fine.   Mind you, I'm talking from 33 to 34, 35 or 36.  

We don't have a huge need at these positions.  If we can add an extra pick, move down a few spots,  and take SAM LB Baun,  we make out like bandits. 

If as you say, no trade is offered,  Take SAM LB Baun at 33 passing over Mel Kiper Top 5.  We need LB more.  
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Potential trade down spots

Obviously, there are a number of situations and players that could lead to a solid trade down proposal. Given teams trade capitol and the players on the board, I thought I would review it.

Pick 34 Indianapolis could be lurking on taking Jacob Eason.
Cincinnati trades back 1 spot and add pick 160

Pick 35 Detroit may be on Eason also but they are jumping ahead of Indianapolis
Cincinnati trades back 1 spot and add pick 149

Pick 37 NE could be interested in Eason as well or Kmet
Cincinnati moves back 4 spots and adds pick 125

Pick 42 Jax will likely be interested in Josh Jones and/or Ezra Cleveland but enough to move?
Dropping back 9 spots comes with a tax. Bengals trade down for picks 42 and 73.

Pick 45 Wanna make TB12 happy? Add Swift. Bengals collect 45,76 and 2021 5th

Pick 46 Denver needs a cornerback and tackle. They definitely have the draft capitol to move up. I feel like they will definitely be on the phone with the Bengals looking to move up and if not with the Bengals then with someone else shortly after. They have been linked to Fulton and Josh Jones. Both guys are first round talent on several teams boards. To move back that far I would charge a hefty price Bengals trade pick 33 for 46, 77 and 118.

Pick 48 NYJ I think it's unlikely the Jets move up. Had they went WR first then they most likely would be trying to move up for Cleveland or Jones. There could be a WR they absolutely cannot live with out however. Bengals grab 48, 68

Players I could see a random team moving up for Jones, Cleveland, a specific CB (Diggs, Fulton, Johnson), Kmet, Eason

Less likely for a safety because there are 4 good ones on the board (Davis, Delpit, McKinney, Winfield Jr)

Less likely for a WR as there is so much depth. Potentially someone could fall in love with Mims or someone though that fits their offense perfectly.

I guess the real question is it worth moving down and exactly how far?
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 12:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I do like Baun at 33 more than Jones but I understand the concern for tackles... but if there is a split on 33, and a good trade offer comes I believe we can still is one of them 5 to 7 spots back plus add 3 or 4th round pick.. i would be good with that

I also understand the concern for linebackers though.

Trade down sure would be nice, but I wonder if there's anyone any other team would want to trade up for. Fred has a point.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 04:52 PM)hollodero Wrote: I also understand the concern for linebackers though.

Trade down sure would be nice, but I wonder if there's anyone any other team would want to trade up for. Fred has a point.

Per NFLN we are actively seeking a trade partner at this time
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 07:26 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Per NFLN we are actively seeking a trade partner at this time

It’s odd we’re calling teams to trade down, instead of other teams calling us to trade up. Would think that puts us at a disadvantage in negotiations.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/24/report-bengals-actively-exploring-trade-down/
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 07:30 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: It’s odd we’re calling teams to trade down, instead of other teams calling us to trade up. Would think that puts us at a disadvantage in negotiations.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/24/report-bengals-actively-exploring-trade-down/

Not necessarily.  To be actively seeking a partner is not the same as being desparate to trade out.  It's weighing all options.
Reply/Quote
No reason to get desperate for a trade partner we have the 1st pick in every round. Make them count.
Reply/Quote