Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tobin Likes Williams At LT?!
Hmm, its not unfathomable for a player who starred at LT in college to get moved to RT and flourish as a Pro. IIRC, Mr. Willie Anderson starred at LT in college, and then went on to become the greatest RT of all time for the Bengals.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 06:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If they get Sewell, Jonah has to move. Simple as that. Don't know if that'll be LG, RG, or RT, but moving Sewell for a guy who is merely an average starter (thus far, I hope he'll get even better) with huge durability concerns would be a terrible idea.

I think the terrible idea would be to pencil in Sewell as your Day 1 starter at LT. He is relatively raw (not just at LT). I don’t think it’s in his (or JB’s) best interests to throw him to the wolves right out of the box. Down the road? Maybe yes, maybe no.
Reply/Quote
The pick at 5 has to start somewhere right away right?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If Sewell is anywhere near the talent people are making him out to be you have to play him at LT.

You have three options if you're the Bengals (and you're smart):

1.) Draft Sewell, and move Jonah to RT
2.) Draft Sewell, and move Jonah to LG
3.) Don't draft Sewell (draft someone else), and keep Jonah at LT

This. #3

Draft Chase or Pitts

Pick a RT in 2nd or sign a FA
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 07:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: The pick at 5 has to start somewhere right away right?

Only exception in my mind is a QB so you can have a seasoned vet teach him for a year. I am still convinced that's the best for a QB's development.

Other than that, I can't think of a single other position where I wouldn't want/expect the 5th overall pick to start at their position immediately.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 08:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Only exception in my mind is a QB so you can have a seasoned vet teach him for a year. I am still convinced that's the best for a QB's development.

Other than that, I can't think of a single other position where I wouldn't want/expect the 5th overall pick to start at their position immediately.

See that's where my concern is.

It would seem like quite the load for Sewell.

I think even an average RT in FA and keeping Williams at LT is the way to go.

Work on that interior line ASAP and go with day 1 starter at #5 this season(Chase/Pitts)to propel the offense.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind drafting Sewell even if the Bengals addressed the O line in FA. A first or second tier RT, a first or second tier LG, and a first or second tier C would show up the line, but I'd still draft Sewell to bolster the depth, with the hope of getting him in the lineup somewhere after the fifth or sixth game. That's enough time to get him acclimated to the NFL, based on how good he's project to be. This not only sets the lineup for the future, but in case of injury, the line would still retain its elite nature. The most important thing it does is to let Burrow develop good habits of keeping his eyes looking down field instead of looking at the rush. And allows for proper evaluation of Burrow as a franchise qb. The rest of the team can be built up in future years (in case the Bengals FO doesn't hit on other draft picks or get one or two more upper tier players in other parts of the team).
Reply/Quote
The key thing here is ESPN assuming that Jonah stays at LT because Tobin showed support that he is capable of playing the position. Tobin did not say that Williams is staying at LT, and it would be foolish of him to come out and say that we have to draft Sewell, or he has to be our LT.
Reply/Quote
With Jonah's injury history and the fact they trashed Burrow's knee by having an unproven crappy line last year...the Bengals would be foolish not to go into the season with three good tackles. And I'm not talking Fred Johnson/Bobby Hart good. I'm talking a proven vet who doesn't whiff every 4 pass plays.
Reply/Quote
LT and RT isn't even that big of a deal anymore.The best Pass Rushers aren't just attacking the blind side anymore. One of the best pass rushers in our division always lines up against the RT. We've gotten to the point where you need good ones at both, so to me, I would let Williams stay at LT since he's had NFL experience at the position.
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
People really need to get over the LT RT stuff. So many good edge rushers come from the left side of the defense, LT isn't the glamour position it used to be. 

These are the guys the Bengals will face (on the roster last year) and how often they come over RT in 2021. 

Bosa - 81% (chargers) 8 sacks last year
TJ Watt - 97% (steelers x 2) 15 sacks last year
Okwara - 59% (lions) 10 sacks last year
Jones - 52% (chiefs) 8 sacks last year
Smith - 50% (packers) 13 sacks last year
Chubb - 20% (broncos) 8 sacks last year
Garrett - 42% (browns x 2) 12 sacks last year
Mack - 84% (bears) 9 sacks last year

That's not including Von Miller--primarily LOLB--who was hurt last year and the Broncos would like to restructure him (possible vet cut). 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:55 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: If Sewell is anywhere near the talent people are making him out to be you have to play him at LT.

You have three options if you're the Bengals (and you're smart):

1.) Draft Sewell, and move Jonah to RT
2.) Draft Sewell, and move Jonah to LG
3.) Don't draft Sewell (draft someone else), and keep Jonah at LT

This is just absurd to think RT is somehow less important than RT. You're stuck in the 1970s
Reply/Quote
IF they are able to take Sewell and do so the scenario is going to depend on whether they succeeded in reinforcing Guard in free agency. Granted the interior line play improved once we had both Spain and XSF in at the same time but we still badly need at least one more actual NFL starter caliber Guard. With another strong Guard they could start Sewell at RT and drop Hart. If they fail to get another good Guard again Sewell goes to RT while Hart pushes inside to RG - sets up running right well and by getting us a RT who can play on an island free up the TE to receive more.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:18 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: On ESPN.com, it has us taking Sewell, but putting him at right tackle and starting Jonah Williams at left tackle because it says that Tobin says that they believe in Williams at LT?

First off, if Williams could get the job done at LT, we wouldn't need to be looking this hard at the draft and free agents to protect our future in Burrow.  

Second, why put an unproven guy there with an injury-ridden first two seasons over a guy like Sewell that has so much potential?

I feel like this would set us back for a year (possibly more) and just wouldn't be a good sign that the franchise is moving in the right direction.

Thoughts?

I think you take Sewell if he is there and you sign Thuney and you go to camp with as many solid and above average guys as you can get for the O-line and let it shake out from there. 

Skipping on Sewell for anyone would be worse then taking John Ross, and on par with not trading out of the Akili Smith pick. This is that much of a no brainer. Not Chase or Pitts or any weapon in this draft fills the level of need with the level of player that the Sewell pick would be.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:33 PM)Mobster Wrote: This is just absurd to think RT is somehow less important than RT. You're stuck in the 1970s

I always thought it was a matter of the QB's blind side. If Burrow was left handed, I'd prefer if I had to choose to put my best Tackle at RT.

There were strong rushers coming from the left DE in the old days as well when this train of thought was a thing.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:33 PM)Mobster Wrote: This is just absurd to think RT is somehow less important than RT. You're stuck in the 1970s

It's about having your strongest blocker protecting your quarterback's blindside.  

It's just common sense.  
Reply/Quote
Jonah has played 10 games in two years. It would be nice for him to play the year, anywhere. Give me Cosmi in round two for RT. Take Pitts or Chase at #5.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 11:58 PM)jj22 Wrote: I always thought it was a matter of the QB's blind side. If Burrow was left handed, I'd prefer if I had to choose to put my best Tackle at RT.

There were strong rushers coming from the left DE in the old days as well when this train of thought was a thing.

That's still a factor I would think. I get the whole LT isn't as important as it was 20 years ago. But like you say it's still good to have your right handed QB protected from his blind side.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2021, 04:59 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Williams was a good LT. I don't think it's a bad idea to have him stay there and have Sewell play RT or even LG for a his rookie year. Rookie offensive linemen are a mixed bag and you don't really want to give them the blindside even if they are enormously gifted.

If Sewell blows training camp out of the water and is just...perfect, then yea you may then talk about moving Williams to RT immediately, but I think the default position should be not to hand the LT job to a rookie who you haven't even drafted yet.

This statement, literally, makes no sense. How is Williams, our LT from last season and one of the few bright spots on the offensive line as a whole, the unproven guy when compared to a rookie who hasn't played a down since the 2019 college football season?

I was thinking the samething, Sewell hasn't played a down in about year or so.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2021, 12:36 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: Jonah has played 10 games in two years.  It would be nice for him to play the year, anywhere.  Give me Cosmi in round two for RT.  Take Pitts or Chase at #5.

I've slowly been talking myself into this. If they'll get some damn free agent Olinemen.
Reply/Quote