Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tobin and ZT Speak at Combine
The only answer at running back is drafting one in the later rounds and possibly resigning Perine for good value IF you cut Mixon. We aren't cutting Mixon then going and picking up a RB in free agency.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 12:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

I mean, lets hope so. Not spending to the cap in a super bowl window would be insane... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
For some reason I envision GMs/Player Personnel heads from other teams showing up to these interviews in a suit and tie. I like that Duke strolls in looking like a fan with his fav Bengals hat on.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 09:56 PM)Housh Wrote: Leonard Fornette was just cut. His running style would be PERFECT.

Honestly I’d let Joe and Perine walk and get Fornette and then draft a back and that’d be an upgrade imo

Mixon yes, Perine no way. Hes a cheap and very effective runner and pass protector. 
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 04:29 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Tyler's extension worked like everyone else's.  The signing bonus is always paid in full in the year the extension is signed.  

It wasnt a voodoo "extension", it was a real Extension, it didnt take his 4th year contract up to 11M, it simply raised his cash received in the 4th year.   

He did have some type of renegotiation or bonus hits in his 4th year, but it was less than a million dollars...

Tee can sign a 3 year extension this summer for 60M.  He could get a 12M signing bonus, he will have a cap hit of his 4th year salary plus 3M prorated bonus.  Doesn't impact his rookie deal, just the cap hit and cash paid.... 

You may have to get into the "complexity" because I have no idea why you think this is how it works?  Where are you getting the figure "most" tear up the final year?  I think it is exactly the opposite.  

Tyler Boyd's base pay on year 4 per his rookie deal was supposed to be 900k or so. What Tyler Boyd actually got paid in 2019 was 2 million base (Almost the value of the whole contracts base pay), 2.25 million roster bonus (not signing bonus), and a 50k workout bonus (does not exist in rookie 2nd rd contracts). All of that was NOT in his rookie deal and was added to his final year ALONG WITH a 7 million dollar signing bonus that was prorated over the life of his contract. 

Your belief on how this works, as was the other dudes, is wrong. The final year number is often renegotiated sometimes minimal sometimes heavily. It's actually funny because the entire logic forgets that restructures exist to literally move the base pay in the later year of a contract into bonus to spread it over the life of the deal, which includes new years. Restructures (specifically void years) are considered extensions but very seriously change the base pay of current contracts which is how this whole argument started with the belief you could not change that final year, which happens all the time.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 12:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:

What he is saying and what fans expect are different. They are gonna spend money but if they are like 6 mil from the cap they aren't going to go out and find a guy that costs 6mil lol nah they will take that little bit and roll it over. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2023, 09:19 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We are not trading Tee Higgins....period. Three things this team has going for it are Burrow, Chase and Higgins, and damned if some of you aren't determined to get rid of one of them..

Nobody wants to get rid of Tee.  The problem is if Tee doesnt agree to an extension this year he is gone as a free agent next year and Bengals get nothing when they could have traded him for a first round draft pick and got his replacement in the draft.

And this talk about "just tag him next year", do you know what the price to tag him next year is going to be? The tag is the average of the top 5 paid WRs which is going to be somewhere between Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, DeAndre Hopkins and you have Justin Jefferson's contract coming up.  Are you paying Tee Higgins the same amount of money as those guys?  What is that going to be 25 million a year?  The Bengals cant do that with Burrow and Chase coming up.  The "tag him next year" talk is delusional.  It makes no sense.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 02:17 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Nobody wants to get rid of Tee.  The problem is if Tee doesnt agree to an extension this year he is gone as a free agent next year and Bengals get nothing when they could have traded him for a first round draft pick and got his replacement in the draft.

And this talk about "just tag him next year", do you know what the price to tag him next year is going to be? The tag is the average of the top 5 paid WRs which is going to be somewhere between Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, DeAndre Hopkins and you have Justin Jefferson's contract coming up.  Are you paying Tee Higgins the same amount of money as those guys?  What is that going to be 25 million a year?  The Bengals cant do that with Burrow and Chase coming up.  The "tag him next year" talk is delusional.  It makes no sense.

I think the likelihood we tag him is high if there is no extension. We'll make adjustments elsewhere if needed. Chase has a 5th year option. 

In my view "getting his replacement in the draft" is the delusional part. There is no Higgins replacement is this draft. No one remotely like him, save the kid from TCU, maybe. Who knows if he'll pan out? Even if he does it may take a year or two. 
Reply/Quote
As Tobin and Zac have said, they love Tee. They love having him on this team. They don’t know where this trade talk is coming from, but it’s not from the Bengals’ side.

Tee has said he loves playing here.

He and Chase play so well together. There’s nothing you don’t like about this. There’s no one in the draft that would be remotely close to his talent and production levels.

He ain’t being traded. No one is going to offer what it would cost for the Bengals to part with him (remember, we’re dealing with Mike Brown here). Mike Brown wouldn’t trade someone that didn’t want to be here (Cory Dillon) or didn’t get a King’s ransom for a player who threatened to retire (Carson Palmer). Neither of those scenarios mimics Higgins, who does indeed want to be here.

Mixon, while spoken about politely, wasn’t given the same resounding endorsement. They’re drafting a RB. Just depends on which round. Perrine will be the starter until the new RB gets up to speed.

Hurst….I think he does want to return, and the Bengals want him to return. Price? That’s the issue. Just like RBs, there are a lot of good TEs in this draft class.

Plenty of good OLs and DBs/CBS, in this draft too.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 11:25 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: As Tobin and Zac have said, they love Tee. They love having him on this team. They don’t know where this trade talk is coming from, but it’s not from the Bengals’ side.

Tee has said he loves playing here.

He and Chase play so well together. There’s nothing you don’t like about this. There’s no one in the draft that would be remotely close to his talent and production levels.

He ain’t being traded. No one is going to offer what it would cost for the Bengals to part with him (remember, we’re dealing with Mike Brown here). Mike Brown wouldn’t trade someone that didn’t want to be here (Cory Dillon) or didn’t get a King’s ransom for a player who threatened to retire (Carson Palmer). Neither of those scenarios mimics Higgins, who does indeed want to be here.

Mixon, while spoken about politely, wasn’t given the same resounding endorsement. They’re drafting a RB. Just depends on which round. Perrine will be the starter until the new RB gets up to speed.

Hurst….I think he does want to return, and the Bengals want him to return. Price? That’s the issue. Just like RBs, there are a lot of good TEs in this draft class.

Plenty of good OLs and DBs/CBS, in this draft too.

I’ve been pretty adamant that Mixon remains on the team. He may restructure his contract to be more team friendly but I don’t think it’s going to be reduced like some think and a huge savings. I’m ready for the you were wrong comments lol. Bring it on lol.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2023, 07:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 2021
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/mike-brown-is-bullish-on-the-cincinnati-bengals-offensive-line

For your reading pleasure:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-starting-offensive-line-comes-into-focus-on-day-two-of-nfl-combine/ar-AA18703T
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 11:39 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve been pretty adamant that Mixon remains on the team. He may restructure his contract to be more team friendly but I don’t think it’s going to be reduced like some think and a huge savings. I’m ready for the you were wrong comments lol. Bring it on lol.

I don’t think you’re wrong….IF (BIG IF) Mixon restructures.

Bengals are known for moving on from players right before they hit their inevitable decline (Whitworth being the most notable exception).

RBs have a short shelf life…lots of wear and tear. Mixon may be reaching his. I don’t think they’re looking at FA for a RB. I do believe they are looking at the draft. There are some good RBs in this draft.

The Bengals can go cheaper drafting a RB…possibly/probably get better….apply Mixon’s cap to to buckets it’s going to take to help sign the BIG 3 (Burrow, Chase, HIggins).
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 02:42 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: I don’t think you’re wrong….IF (BIG IF) Mixon restructures.

Bengals are known for moving on from players right before they hit their inevitable decline (Whitworth being the most notable exception).

RBs have a short shelf life…lots of wear and tear. Mixon may be reaching his. I don’t think they’re looking at FA for a RB. I do believe they are looking at the draft. There are some good RBs in this draft.

The Bengals can go cheaper drafting a RB…possibly/probably get better….apply Mixon’s cap to to buckets it’s going to take to help sign the BIG 3 (Burrow, Chase, HIggins).

But most of them their contracts were expiring. The Bengals also are notorious for upholding contracts that are still in force.

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 11:39 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve been pretty adamant that Mixon remains on the team. He may restructure his contract to be more team friendly but I don’t think it’s going to be reduced like some think and a huge savings. I’m ready for the you were wrong comments lol. Bring it on lol.

I think he has to see the writing on the wall and restructure or take a pay cut (more likely).

Don't get me wrong because I still have the clip playing in (what's left of) my brain of Joe talking to him on the sideline and saying "when we run the ball like that, no one can beat us," but Mixon has to look at it from a business standpoint and consider what's best for the team and for himself because I don't think any team is going to pay big bucks to a 27-year-old back (27 when season starts) with over 1,300 carries. 

I realize that he probably still has two seasons or so until he hits what is the usual decline, but he has to know that another team isn't going to pay big bucks for a back at his age that isn't a top back in the league, especially with his past.

I do hope that they work with him on his pass blocking because that's coachable, but I hope (and think it's smart for him) to take a pay cut to stay with the team.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 03:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think he has to see the writing on the wall and restructure or take a pay cut (more likely).

Don't get me wrong because I still have the clip playing in (what's left of) my brain of Joe talking to him on the sideline and saying "when we run the ball like that, no one can beat us," but Mixon has to look at it from a business standpoint and consider what's best for the team and for himself because I don't think any team is going to pay big bucks to a 27-year-old back (27 when season starts) with over 1,300 carries. 

I realize that he probably still has two seasons or so until he hits what is the usual decline, but he has to know that another team isn't going to pay big bucks for a back at his age that isn't a top back in the league, especially with his past.

I do hope that they work with him on his pass blocking because that's coachable, but I hope (and think it's smart for him) to take a pay cut to stay with the team.

Joe’s pass blocking issues aren’t as much ability as mental. He’s not bright. I just don’t think he’s as savvy and smart as Samaje. But make no mistake if you saw Samaje throw Micah Parsons around like a rag doll he’s about the strongest back in the NFL. The two are really a good combo. Mixon doesn’t need to be in there for all the snaps.

Reply/Quote

You're probably right.  Mixon making a buttload of money to play like an arseload of crap is the issue, but I suppose he could pull himself out of this slump.  With that being said, if the guy is going to be high-priced and not so great, I feel like we're going to sour on him and start calling him a me-first, Marvin-era downer.

You don't pay a RB top-tier money to run up the score on a middling NFC team and then disappear for months at a time. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 05:25 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You're probably right.  Mixon making a buttload of money to play like an arseload of crap is the issue, but I suppose he could pull himself out of this slump.  With that being said, if the guy is going to be high-priced and not so great, I feel like we're going to sour on him and start calling him a me-first, Marvin-era downer.

You don't pay a RB top-tier money to run up the score on a middling NFC team and then disappear for months at a time. 

Yeah If restructures to even 5-6 M it’d be hard to turn that down in the hopes you draft a guy
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 08:00 PM)Housh Wrote: Yeah If restructures to even 5-6 M it’d be hard to turn that down in the hopes you draft a guy

he's been extremely unproductive the last 2 years. Bottom of the league in ypa

it's addition by subtraction. I dont want 4ypa. That will kill this team in crunch time once again
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2023, 08:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's been extremely unproductive the last 2 years. Bottom of the league in ypa

it's addition by subtraction. I dont want 4ypa. That will kill this team in crunch time once again

Oy, it would have been nice if that game against the Panthers happened before the trade deadline and our franchise actually traded players.
Reply/Quote