Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tobin squashed trade rumors

Great to hear
Reply/Quote
Was just going to post this myself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Of course he would state this, he is not going to admit dealings openly until after the trades or deals are made.

I can see the team using Ross as part of a packaged deal to trade up in the next draft for the player they want.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Hopefully this stays true, as I haven't given up on Ross yet.
If I were ZT, my approach would be to see how Ross does this year in my scheme and look to trade him next offseason based on how things go. Third year is a big year for WRs and he may not have meshed well with previous regime, so this is a perfect opportunity for him. Get him the ball quickly and see him get YAC, which is how he was used at Washington. Don't silo him as a deep ball guy just because of his speed. Guy had 81 receptions his last year at Washington, so he's no slouch when it comes to catching the ball.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hopefully this stays true, as I haven't given up on Ross yet.
If I were ZT, my approach would be to see how Ross does this year in my scheme and look to trade him next offseason based on how things go. Third year is a big year for WRs and he may not have meshed well with previous regime, so this is a perfect opportunity for him. Get him the ball quickly and see him get YAC, which is how he was used at Washington. Don't silo him as a deep ball guy just because of his speed. Guy had 81 receptions his last year at Washington, so he's no slouch when it comes to catching the ball.

But the problem is, that if Ross does not pan out this year, he wouldn't have any trade value at all.  At least now he is an speedster with untapped potential due to under utilization and poor O-Line quality.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Guess we can put to bed the "Bengals leaked this" mentality.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Of course he would state this, he is not going to admit dealings openly until after the trades or deals are made.  

I can see the team using Ross as party of a packaged deal to trade up in the next draft for the player they want.

So we can't trust Tobin or our new coach as according to you they are liars???????????
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:12 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: But the problem is, that if Ross does not pan out this year, he wouldn't have any trade value at all.  At least now he is an speedster with untapped potential due to under utilization and poor O-Line quality.  

Lets be real, if they trade him now he was gonna probably bring in a 5th round pick, MAYBE a 4th. 

I would much rather see what he can do under new coaching rather than have another 4th or 5th round pick.
Reply/Quote
We would not get more than a 6th or 7th round pick for him.

I don't care if they trade him or not as long as they are not depending on him being one of our top 3 WRS. So they can keep him if they want, but they better have a plan B in place if he does not pan out.
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of fans undervalue Ross. He has is issues with routes, both running and continuing them and an occasional dropped pass, but the name of the game is to score more points than the other team and he has proven his value in the Red Zone. If all he does is score touchdowns, he is a valuable asset. As for trade value, I don't think he has much now anyway. If teams are going to give anything other than a late round pick, they will want a more rounded receiver. As contradictory as that sounds, he has value to our team but not necessarily another team as he is still in the realm of being a "project" that could pan out or not.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:25 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: I think a lot of fans undervalue Ross.  He has is issues with routes, both running and continuing them and an occasional dropped pass, but the name of the game is to score more points than the other team and he has proven his value in the Red Zone.   If all he does is score touchdowns, he is a valuable asset. 

This is what makes Ross such an enigma for me.  I have never seen a guy his size who was successful in the red zone where the filed is shrunken yet be useless between the 20's where the defense has to cover deep and is more spread out.  It seems that his speed threat would make him more effective between the 20's than in the red zone where there is no "over the top" to worry about. 
Reply/Quote
That’s good news. We’d get little for him so might as well give him another shot with an offensive minded coach
Reply/Quote
Bengals are usually pretty good about not leaking what they want to do outside the ZT hire (but who knows who exactly said this). It's crazy how people want to be the first to report something even if it doesn't have legs.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is what makes Ross such an enigma for me.  I have never seen a guy his size who was successful in the red zone where the filed is shrunken yet be useless between the 20's where the defense has to cover deep and is more spread out.  It seems that his speed threat would make him more effective between the 20's than in the red zone where there is no "over the top" to worry about. 

flash back to the Falcons game. I might be wrong but on.Ross's TD he got past the strong safety in a cover 2.
I think Eifert occupied the other safety on the other side of the field.
Im probally wrong but if you dont have a TE that can draw attention from a saftey or backer its really harder to throw vertical.
Ross didnt get help from Lazor lack of knowledge to get WR open underneath either.
I saw Ross run no pivot routes......sluggo routes or very few rub routes.
Lazor used Ross on the same 3 routes.
not hard for the defense to catch on to.
Reply/Quote
Duke Tobin is overrated and got his job because of the Tobin name. Guy never earned this position. He is not Bill or Vince. It is like hiring Paris Jackson to sing because her dad is Michael Jackson
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:01 PM)Trademark Wrote:

Great to hear

Somebody put it out there that the Bengals were shopping him and that somebody was able to convince Rapport that it was true.

Since neither you nor I are on those communication lines, it had to be someone connected. It could have been:

A. The Bengals themselves to gauge what kind of offers they'd get,
B. Ross' agent to get Ross out of town,
C. Some other team trying to force the issue and see if they could spark interest or create trouble.
D. Rapport had nothing else to write, so just made it up for fun.

C seems unlikely because they could be found out and possibly be accused of tampering with another team's player.

D seems unlikely because it blows back on Rapport and he has to eat his words.

A seems possible because let's face it Ross hasn't played well in Cinci. AJ Green and Boyd didn't have trouble making catches like Ross did. Most people can see that Ross was the cause of Ross' problems on the field. Some people still hold on to the "Marv sabotaged Ross' career" idea, but there's no actual evidence of this or even a reason for Marv to have done that.

B also seems likely because Ross is going to be held accountable for his route running like never before and he may just want to go somewhere else where he can continue to blame the coaches and QB. He won't be able to get away with that in Cinci anymore.

My guess is that it was A or B.

If it were Ross himself through his agent, then he's in for a long year cause the team didn't bite.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:21 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So we can't trust Tobin or our new coach as according to you they are liars???????????

I didn't call them a liar?  I just think they wouldn't let  public know what is going on behind the scenes.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:21 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Lets be real, if they trade him now he was gonna probably bring in a 5th round pick, MAYBE a 4th. 

I would much rather see what he can do under new coaching rather than have another 4th or 5th round pick.

Bengals have had great success with 4th rounders!  I see what you are saying though.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
Isn't calling something "fake news" just a way of saying "this is true, but it makes me look bad so I'm going to say it isn't true?" I honestly think just saying he hasn't shopped Ross would be more effective that rolling out that oft-full of crap cliched response.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 03:42 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Lazor used Ross on the same 3 routes.
not hard for the defense to catch on to.

If this were true then he would have been shut down in the red zone also.

I don't have an answer to argue in this case.  I just can't figure out how he could be effective in the red zone with the field shrunken and yet be worthless between the 20's where things should be easier for him.
Reply/Quote